PDA

View Full Version : Another question - relating to tailwaters

dgames18
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I am planning a day or so on the Bald river while passing through E Tenn on my way back to OK from a road trip with my son. I am thinking of "possibly" adding 1 day to hit one of the tailwaters while I am in the area. This would probably be Jul 6 or 7.

What would be my best bet for a wadeable day (I don't want to do a guide trip) on one of the tailwaters? Clinch, S Holston, Hiwassee or others?

Thanks for any advice.

ChemEAngler
06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I am planning a day or so on the Bald river while passing through E Tenn on my way back to OK from a road trip with my son. I am thinking of "possibly" adding 1 day to hit one of the tailwaters while I am in the area. This would probably be Jul 6 or 7.

What would be my best bet for a wadeable day (I don't want to do a guide trip) on one of the tailwaters? Clinch, S Holston, Hiwassee or others?

Thanks for any advice.

It is a toss-up. Either day would be suitable due to the absence of crowds, however all you mentioned are subject to TVA generation schedules. You can go to the link below to find generation schedules for all three, however they only show generation schedules 36 hours in advance.

http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/reservoir/APH.html

Also, all three are very different tailwaters, so it depends on what type of fishing you are looking for.

Rockyraccoon
06-22-2010, 08:34 PM
The Hiwassee will be the closest to the Bald River area, and will be wadable, in places, no matter what the flows are. You could see a low water morning that you could stay in front of most of the day.....or wade some of the wadable areas of the upper river after the water has come up (Much easier than it sounds).

The Clinch could also work well as it's somewhat close to the Bald River area and not terribly out of your way back to OK. Again, can fish high or low here early depending on flows, and move down river ahead of any flows later in the day. Big difference here though....if the waters up....wading is out.

Id rule out the South Holston just due to logistics....but I'm sure it's fishing just as well as these other two places.

MadisonBoats
06-22-2010, 10:21 PM
dgames18,
If you plan on wading; you should definitely stay one night in Bristol and fish the South Holston! That is a true brownie river and it fishes insane! I am a local Clinch guy and I love the river for the size fish; but, it does not compare to the browns on the South Holston. Also, the fish/catch rate is much better per mile/hour in my opinion. Everyone should fish the South Holston once...

waterwolf
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
If it were me, I would scrap Bald River area all together and spend 2 days on one of the tailwaters. But that is just me.

The fishing on any of the 3 tailwaters you mentioned puts the mountain streams to shame for overall quality of fish.

I would focus on the Clinch, it has good access, appears that schedules for now are very stable, and the quality of fish is great. I don't fish the South Holston much anymore, as it just isn't the same river to me that it was 15 years ago, and I have want to remember it the way it was. The Holston, is a toss up, and with limited wading access I would put it last on the list.

Rodonthefly
06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
The Clinch or the Grinch would be where I would spend my time. lots of public areas to fish that offer all different styles of fishing. Abouve the weir is slow water but can be great fishing, although I havnt fihed up there in 6 months. The you have millers island which offers fast water, slow water, spring creek type fishing. And the Church, Jail 61 bridge whatever you want to call it is a good area of water as well. You can spend both days on those areas of water and still not fish it all.

Just my two cents, as far as the soho, I'm with Jim on that one. Use too you could catch a crap load of big fish there ,but the last time I was there, it sucked, don't get me wrong we caught fish but no big ones.

dgames18
06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
What is the Grinch?

Tarheelflyfishing
06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd fish the Hiwassee given how close it is to the Bald River. Right now, stick to the area from the Appalachia Powerhouse down to about the Big Bend area. The "Stairsteps" is another great choice on the Hiwassee.

By the way, if you haven't fished the North River, you don't want to pass it up. Great fishing. Good luck!

Tyler

dgames18
06-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am really impressed with the depth of info available on this forum. Thanks again.

It sounds like all three would likely have some wadeable water. I was a little surprised to hear that about the Hiwassee as I thought I had heard you kind of need to be in a drift boat on that river.

If the fishing is really poor on the Bald, I could see sliding over for a few hours wading on the Hiwassee since it is pretty close by.

I also understand the comment on skipping the Bald and just going straight to the tailwaters. However, tailwaters are what I usually fish in my neck of the woods (Bulls Shoals on the White, Taneycomo and the Illinois below lake Tenkiller in OK) whereas there aren't much in the way of mountain freestone streams in the Ozarks. Plus, I am looking forward to being up in the mountains with my son for a day and if the fishing isn't any good, that is OK.

Another question, is wet wading feasible on these tailwaters? I have waders, but my son doesn't.

Rockyraccoon
06-23-2010, 07:16 PM
I'd say no to wet wading. Normally, the Hiwassee can be comfortable this time of the year.....but not this year. Of course you would eventually get use to it and it would probably be more comfortable than hot waders. Last temperature reading I took was 51 degrees with the water running.

Water off will be warmer.

Rodonthefly
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
The Grinch, is what some of us locals sometimes call the Clinch. I has born and raised on the clinch and it is a great tailwater, however one day you can go out there and catch fish all day long and go back the next day and not do so hot. That's where the Clinch or the Grinch comes from. Sorry for not explaining that!

How ever to answer your question about wet wading I wet wade more then I wear waders in the summer. If I know im going to be getting in past the boys, i'll wear waders.

MadisonBoats
06-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree Rod about wet wading! I have put my waders up for the summer and just use my river sandals. I do hate the first waist dip each day..:eek:

Green Weenie
06-24-2010, 08:25 AM
If I know im going to be getting in past the boys, i'll wear waders.

HaHaHa!!! Yes, wet wading is all good, until the 'boys' make contact. Then, it's "Holy :eek:! This water is cold as :eek:!!!"

JoelO
06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
I'd be wet wading on the Tellico, Bald or North Rivers...basically any of the freestone mountain streams...the tailwaters are a different story...those generation releases can be cold!