PDA

View Full Version : y-fishin'

knucklehead
06-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Fishing at the y, watching a family of honkers, the good ole yellowhammer came through(the brown nabbed the small hammer while the bow hooked onto a 6). got off work about 7, hit the water at 8. and wam! several yellow stoneflies were around but no risers. a couple of last minute swimmers were leaving. a small clan of 5 geese (2 adult, 3 jr). i've been reading about water temps and have no gauge myself, but i do know at least some fish were feeding. releasing these 2 fish i did notice that the water seemed a tad warm. on a side note, hauled a 8-9 inch smallmouth out almost a mile above the tremont station yesterday.highest i've ever seen one in the park.
caught 1 more bow of similar size right as lightening flashed(that fish was incredibly tasty). if anyone has never used a yellowhammer, i highly recommend trying(the legal version, of course).

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/knucklehead1979/dragonfliesandfinefish069.jpg

knucklehead
06-26-2010, 01:38 AM
this dude/dudette struck the y.h. like the thunder rolling above me. amazing how hard even the smaller fish nail this fly. http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/knucklehead1979/dragonfliesandfinefish060.jpg

Fishstu
06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Bee-uuu-tee-ful trout!
Curious: downstream of the Y or upstream towards the cove or upstream towards Metcalf?
I've caught a few smaller browns closer to Metcalf (biggest around 14" a bit of ways above the picnic area) and just wonderin' about where you were throwin' the 'hammer'
Thanks and Congrats!

Bran
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey, good looking Brown there! You know on the subject of the Smallmouth, wife and I fished the stockers in G-burg a little over a month ago and, although I had caught one Smallie there 3 or 4 years back, never seen another till this year. There were Smallies everywhere. I wondered if they have stocked them?? You could see them lining the rock walls up midway through town, all about 8-12 inches, and I could see the green and bronze clearly although they were spooky to hit anything I threw at them out of my Trout box. Didn't have my warmwater stuff with me to try poppers or such.

MickT
06-30-2010, 02:41 PM
The smallies in G-burg may have been spawning and guarding nests.

knucklehead
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
fishstu-
the hammer was working at the y. tough fishin there lately with all the swimmers, but they eventually leave. even fishing for just a few minutes can easily fill a skillet.