PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Sought "Thief Magnet"

Streamhound
07-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Do you think that have fly fishing sticker, license plate frames etc increase the chances of getting your vehicle broken into? Not talking about leaving stuff out on seats but just by having the sticker, is it a thief magnet?

JohnH0802
07-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I would think not normally. I don't think most thieves are knowledgable about fly fishing. Having said that, a vehicle parked on the side of a stream or river, with anything having to do with fishing is probably sending a message that there will not be someone back for a while!

prosigna
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I do not know about it being a theif magnet but I do know this: After the last time my car was broken into at the trail head on a 3-day backpacking trip I stopped locking my dors when leaving the car. If a theif wants in he will get in and take your stuff. If you leave the doors unlocked then you only have to replace the stuff, not the smashed window.

Carolina Boy
07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Good point prosigna, when I was younger I spent a lot of time surfing literally all over the world, I went to Costa Rica a ton of times and what you said was the proper course of action, the thing about it is that when you are several hundred yards out in heavy surf even if you see someone by the car it doesn't matter and they can see you, we got broken into one time and they flattened a tire ( for those who don't know there can be heavy "Local-ism" in the surfing world) We didn't have anything in the truck but from then on it was windows down and unlocked doors never had another problem. And if fish stickers and plates lead to break in's then I am in real trouble!

Grannyknot
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I try not to park at sketchy looking trailheads, but when I do, I make sure the interior of my car is very clean. If they look into the windows and don't see anything, I think the chances of them breaking in for further exploration is less likely. I've had good luck so far....fingers still crossed.

As far as the stickers, I dont think they infer that valuables are in the car, because they are usually being used on the stream.

Carlito
07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
What about my 3 foot wide JBL Audio sticker on the rear window? :cool:

Codman, my strategy is sort of the inverse of yours... leave so much crap strewn about that they think I'm some hobo living out of a Subaru.

All jokes aside, I don't feel like having fly fishing stickers on your car makes you stand out. I'll bet most folks that would break into a car would probably assume most of our gear isn't worth squat anyway. Seems to me thieves would be looking for GPS, iPods, stereo equipment, wallets, bags, etc, not stinky old fishing gear.

BlueRaiderFan
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Do what I do: Drive a piece of junk that looks worse than what they pulled up in. :biggrin:

Jim Casada
07-02-2010, 05:40 PM
All--I will offer a quite different perspective on things. I think the presence of the right kind of sticker (NRA member, "Protected by Smith & Wesson," or that kind of thing) might well have a deterrent effect
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

GrouseMan77
07-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm not too worried about fly fishing stickers...I only have one. If they want in there gonna get in. I wonder how much attention those fancy "brookie conservation" plates draw?

silvercreek
07-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Best defense I ever saw was out west. A guy had a dog in the bed of his pickup truck. The dog appeared to be a Border Collie. It just sat alone in the back of the truck with its muzzle resting on the edge of the truck bed. We walked up to talk to the dog. As soon as we got close it bared its teeth. No growl, no bark, just curled its lips so we could see those teeth. Never even raised its muzzle from the rim of the truck bed. Message received. Regards, Silvercreek

MadisonBoats
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I think the best defense is to just live your life free. Who cares if someone is stealing and breaking in to vehicles......? Do what you want in life and follow your intentions. However; be mindful of leaving bags or curious things in view of the windows. There are many things that drive one to steal and most follow their instinct of money. If it looks like it is valuable or worth stealing; they will do so...Get decent insurance and be smart about leaving your vehicle in an odd place. If someone breaks in to it; hope that I am the guy who walks up on them....:mad:

oldhickory
07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
See below for photographs.

oldhickory
07-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Do what I do: Drive a piece of junk that looks worse than what they pulled up in. :biggrin:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs138.snc4/37231_1531631890068_1212893023_31533108_5806780_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs158.snc4/37231_1531631850067_1212893023_31533107_7260384_n. jpg
:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Too hot for the dog right now, besides he lays on the bank in the shade:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/6-27-2010/Picture012.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
07-02-2010, 07:26 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs138.snc4/37231_1531631890068_1212893023_31533108_5806780_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs158.snc4/37231_1531631850067_1212893023_31533107_7260384_n. jpg
:biggrin:

Wow...that's a little uglier than mine! :biggrin:

MadisonBoats
07-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Sweet Ride!

jeffnles1
07-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm with Shawn on this one. I don't worry too much about it. Stuff can be replaced and any stuff that cannot be replaced really shouldn't be out in plain sight in a car parked on a remote stretch of road (or even a busy stretch of road, a thief will break into your car on a busy road just as well as a back road.).

Now, I do't leave half a dozen rod tubes on the back seat, or a gear bag out in the open with a bunch of stuff in it. Nor do I leave a guitar case on the seat an go off fishing (first it's really bad for the guitar on hot and really cold days and second, I don't want one of my good guitars stolen).

I would say just try to be smart about it and don't invite a break in by leaving stuff that looks valuable out in the open. But, don't spend too much time worrying about it. If you have insurance, after the deductable is paid, the stuff can be replaced.

Yes, I have had my car broken into twice. Yes, I was angry. Yes, I felt violated. No, I would not want it to happen to me or anyone else again.

The first time, the thief got a radar detector and took my rear view mirror (go figure). The second time, they took a smoking pipe (nice briar tobacco pipe), some tobacco and about 80 cents of change in the center console and about 30 CD's of bluegrass music. (really, bluegrass?). They I'm sure didn't read the title, they just grabbed the CD's and ran.

One thing I did learn after that, I keep the originals of my CD collection at home and burn copies to keep in my car. If they steal the copy, no big loss, I just spend .50 and burn another.

So, back to the original post, if you want to put fly fishing stickers on your car, go for it. I doubt if it's going to make your car any more or less attractive to a thief.

Jeff

David Knapp
07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Stickers are definitely terrible because people will STEAL your best fishing spots when they see you always parked there. Be stealthy so no one notices where you are fishing and you should always be able to fish there. :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Found a couple of bait guys on a particularly good hole in the park one time...:frown: They had mastered this technique...there wasn't a car pulled off on the side of LR road for at least a half mile each way...very stealthy for sure...:mad: