PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question comming from me.

Rodonthefly
07-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Ok for those of you know me, know I have grown up on the Clinch. I personally suck at guessing mileage. So my question is how many miles is it from ramp to ramp?

For those of us who guide, what do you guys do for a half day float? Is a half day float for you all normialy a millers-peach or peach to 61?

Peach to 61 I know is a good float and i could spend all day from sun up to sun down fishing that area. But if you have a cliente in the boat an they have paid for half day. Do you tell them to reel it in your half ay is up and float threw abunch of good water? I personaly can't and don't do that. If the fish are biting I have a hard tome leaving anyways..... i'm just asking to see what other guides do. I also put in and row up and fish back to the ramp some as well.... To me there's no bad fishing on the river.

kentuckytroutbum
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Rod-

Thank you for your concern about fishing and the wants of a client. I'm not a guide, but speaking as a "client" who has fished with a number of guides, It makes me happy to know that the guide is putting the client "first" and the "clock" a distant second. The "client" will definitely remember that guide with kind thoughts, and hopefully become a repeat customer.

I think that its "bad form" for the guide to bluntly ASK for additional fee, if for example the agreement was for a 1/2 day. However, and this is a big one, the "client" should have enough respect for the guide to offer additional compensation, a hefty tip, or other similar rewards to compensate for the guide's time and expenses. I had one guide on the SoHo who refused to accept payment for an hour's worth of fishing, because a front moved in, and all fishing stopped even though we agreed upon a 1/2 day trip. I felt bad about not paying him, so when I got back home, I picked out a nice mid-arbor size reel with an extra spool, and sent it to him a few days later. The cost was about equal to his fee, and I felt that was fair!

On the flip side, I have been with one or two guides who seemed to have one eye on me, and the other one on his watch. Those guides, I will never go fishing with again. Just my $0.02 worth.

Bill