PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Caney

Skipjack
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I will be heading to the Caney Fork on Thursday, and would appreciate any suggestions on what to use early and on through the day. I have been looking at the generation schedule and I think I will have some early time that could be good for dries----I hope

BlueRaiderFan
07-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Royal Wulff has been working for me lately...can't believe I just told you that.

Skipjack
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info. i have a wiggle nymph that I am going to try under an indicator, if it works for me I will send you some for the info. you gave me. Check my blog for the trip it will be a new post Friday or Saturday. http://btrussell-fishingthroughlife.blogspot.com/
One of my fellow bloggers tied the fly, very unique

JoelO
07-07-2010, 08:15 PM
BRF, are you hanging a midge off that Wulff? I tend to use a stimulator or some other high floating dry in the summer time as an indicator and drop a midge off of that when the fish get indicator shy...I'll catch a few on the dry but I still tend to catch most of my fish off the dropper.

Skipjack
07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes I will use a midge off the attractor, I am carrying two fly rods, one with the dry and midge dropper and the other one rigged with the nymph and an additional smaller nymph as the dropper, with this set-up I am using an indicator, but I will start out with the dry and midge dropper. Thanks for the advice, hope I can land a few.

BlueRaiderFan
07-07-2010, 10:10 PM
BRF, are you hanging a midge off that Wulff? I tend to use a stimulator or some other high floating dry in the summer time as an indicator and drop a midge off of that when the fish get indicator shy...I'll catch a few on the dry but I still tend to catch most of my fish off the dropper.

I usually do, but have had noticable success just catching them on dries. They seem to really like that Wulff. I am currently tying some new midge patterns. They seem to be well educated on the standard black midge. I am tying several new dries as well. I want to see what they might like that others aren't fishing, that's why I tried the Royal Wulff the other week and again last week. Seems to work somewhat well. I would also recommend a small hopper, but that's based on years passed at this time. I have yet to try them on the various wading areas this year. I just haven't been out as much this year as in years passed.

BlueRaiderFan
07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info. i have a wiggle nymph that I am going to try under an indicator, if it works for me I will send you some for the info. you gave me. Check my blog for the trip it will be a new post Friday or Saturday. http://btrussell-fishingthroughlife.blogspot.com/
One of my fellow bloggers tied the fly, very unique

Look forward to it. Good luck, bring some water and go early...it's very hot right now on the Caney.

silvercreek
07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
I gotta say, fishing a royal Wulff on the Caney would have been my last fly to pick. Good work thinking out of the box on that one. It seems to me there are more black flies hatching than midges. I've also noticed like you that my midge emerger pattern that worked well last year gets no action now. Still working on a surface/emerger pattern for those black flies.

BlueRaiderFan
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
I gotta say, fishing a royal Wulff on the Caney would have been my last fly to pick. Good work thinking out of the box on that one. It seems to me there are more black flies hatching than midges. I've also noticed like you that my midge emerger pattern that worked well last year gets no action now. Still working on a surface/emerger pattern for those black flies.

"The Royal Coachman and its derivatives (Royal Wulff) are considered attractor patterns, or as Dave Hughes in Trout Flies-The Tier's Reference (1999) calls them--searching patterns--as they do not resemble any specific insect or baitfish" ;)