PDA

View Full Version : fishing near Boone, NC

kflies
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Heading to the Boone, Blowing Rock area on 7/18. Any recommendations on local fishing and hatches? When I've been there before we came up to TN and floated the Watauga and SOHO but want to stay local this time.
Thanks, Ken

Grannyknot
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
kflies, I used to live in downtown Boone. The Watauga is right outside your front door in Boone, but the DH has ended for the year. There is also some hatchery supported water that isn't worth the trouble in my opinion.

Your best bet is to pick up the parkway in blowing rock & head south west. You can be in prime Pisgah NF trout country in 30-45 minutes. My personal favorite was Lost Cove Creek. Its a steep little hike in, but it is C&R, fly only.

kflies
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks GK. What about Boone Fork and some of the tribs to Linville River?

Owl
07-08-2010, 12:59 AM
If you find yourself in Banner Elk, go to the park.

that is all.

Grannyknot
07-08-2010, 08:43 AM

I never visited the Boone fork, but the Foscoe Fishing Company is very close to that stream off hwy 105, they should be able to give you some info. I don't know much about the tribs to the Linville River.

Assuming Owl is talking about Elk Park, yes, there are some nice wild streams in the area.

kflies
07-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
Ken

Jim Casada
07-08-2010, 06:13 PM
kflies--To what Grannyknot has posted, I would add North and South Harper, the headwaters of the South Toe, and a bunch of other accessible off the Parkway. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

flyman
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I would drive over the hump and fish the South Holston or the Watauga :smile: or fish the New for smallmouth, conditions are just about perfect for them. I'll have to check out the park the next time I'm up Banner Elk way, I love to swing and see-saw lmao :biggrin::rolleyes:

kflies
07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks to all for the info. I live and guide up in NE PA so if anyone ever needs info or advice please feel free to get in touch. Last year we came to Townshend and had a great time. The shop and several forum members were very helpful so if I can ever return the favor for people heading up to PA or Ny, please let me know.
Best, Ken
kflies@ptd.net

Does anyone know if there's a book or map for that area?

Grannyknot
07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know if there's a book or map for that area?

This is about the best map I have found of the area for recreation.
http://mappery.com/Boone-NC-Outdoor-Recreation-Map
The only downside is that it doesn't have contour lines. You can view this map in its full size on the website, or you can buy it at most of the downtown Boone outdoor stores (Mast, Footsloggers, Magic Cycles, etc). I would pick up a Forest Service map for topo use.

Jim is also correct about the 2 harpers. They also have some nice waterfalls if you are in to that sort of thing.

silvercreek
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Try Acme Mapper 2.0 for contours etc.
http://mapper.acme.com/

Grannyknot
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM

kflies, I had emailed my old employer in Boone asking him about the Boone Fork. His response was that it can be tough fishing during the summer months, mainly due to the fact that it is dammed up in many spots forming small ponds & Julian Price Lake. The water running out of those areas has a tendency to be a little warm for active trout in the summer.

Oldman
07-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Ditto on what Flyman said. The New for smallies (White Poppers) or hit the tauga of SoHo.

Thats really all for July.

Jubal
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Boone's Fork is a waste unless you push the limits and slip in near the private section that is maintained by a guiding outfit that has some tank pigs.

Like Jim said, fish the pisgah or small streams off parkway, expect low levels right now, we are in need of rain and thankfully getting it at the moment. All you need right now are elk hair caddis and stimis...if they spooky, drop a size and go ninja.

Maps? National Geographic has an awesome map labeled "Mt Mitchell/Linville Gorge" on the front but it covers most of the pisgah area outside of Boone with detailed hiking paths. The forestry service also just printed a new "wilson creek" area map that's pretty good.

Just hunt for wild streams, and ignore all hatchery streams right now...if stockers are your thing...

good luck.

kflies
07-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys! We'll do some exploring.