PDA

View Full Version : Rods

4wt
07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I just joined a new hunting club and found two small creeks on it yesterday afternoon that are slap full of RockBass but the problem is my 8'6 4wt is way to long for the underbrush and such that's up and down them.So does anybody have any suggestions for length and wt?It will only be used for these small creeks.And any flies that might be good to try I caught them on every cast on spinning gear and roostertails.But I want to catch them on a flyrod.

Carlito
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Dude, learn to roll/bow and arrow cast and you can tear them up with your 4wt. Wish I could recommend some flies...

Anyway, if you're keen on a short stick, check out the "short fly rods primarily brookie streams?" thread under the Smoky Mountain Fishing section for all the pros, cons, and suggestions you can handle =)

Troutman
07-09-2010, 03:37 PM
The rockbass have such an aggressive personality towards poppers that I would get a few Walts poppers, yellow, black , green in a size 8 and have at it. They do hit them hard , so expect to have some paint knocked off them!
I tie a deerhair popper on a size 6 gamakasu stinger that they seem to like. yellow with a black band and yellow legs. Unfortinately, they give up the fight quickly and roll over and you end up skiing them to hand. Thats why I affectionately call them "French bass".
You 4wt is definately usable, but for some real fun, try a 2 or 3wt. rigged with a 4wt.bass taper line (orvis clearwater) to turn over the poppers easily. I like my 4wt and under rods to be med or slow action for a spirited fight from the smaller fish.
You can use large dry flies also. size 10 stimis with rubber legs or hopper patterns, beetles...etc.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/P6190666.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/P4150400.jpg

txbrown
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree with Troutman. I fish a 7.5 ft 3 wgt 4 pc fiberglass rod for this type of fishing. The fight is fantastic and the tip will also forgive those very agressive strikes.

I would add small buggers in black, olive and purple to his popper recommendation but the poppers are the way to go for real excitement.

Have fun

Owl
07-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Is your rod a two piece or three piece? Would it be possible to break it down and fish with the tip for them? ( It it's a three or four piece this may be impractical...)

Nice pic of the rockbass. They can be mean and ornery. :) LOL

Knothead
07-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Do you need any help? I have a good stock of poppers. Many possibilities here for fishing small waters. I use a 6 ft., 2 wt. I don't roll cast but have sort of overhand flip to get the fly out there.

Mundele
07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Can you guys recommend any good, wadeable bass fishing areas around the Knoxville area? Not asking for anyone to give up their special secret fishing hole or anything... :)

I've never caught a bass on the fly rod and I'm dying to.

--matt

MickT
07-14-2010, 09:40 AM
4 wt, you'll have the most success dragging the bottom (crawfish or sculpin) or fishing right on top (terrestrials). I usually fish a heavily weighted #4 crawfish imitation except in low-light conditions. Then I fish a generic looking foam bug or popper. I like a floating fly that can take a beating because the action can get fast and furious at times, and I don't want to have to dry my fly to get back to fishing while the light fades.

Mundele, any number of streams around here hold good populations of bass. Just pick a stretch that is too warm for trout, and you'll be in business. The Little, Pigeon, Little Pigeon, Holston, French Broad, Clinch, Powell, Nolichucky all come to mind, plus the Obed/Clear Creek and Emory on the Plateau aren't too far away either.

4wt
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I have been and fished the creeks 3 times and haven't caught a fish in the moving water yet on a fly only on roostertails chartruess color.But I have caught a good many in the pools and very slow water so idk what to do about the moving water what do ya'll think?MikeT I haven't tried any crawfish patterns yet Idk if I even have and crawfish flies.

MickT
07-15-2010, 03:44 PM
4wt, you may be fishing right over the top of them in swift water. That's why I like heavy flies. For bass flies, don't worry about matching the hatch. Bass are ambush predators and strike their prey, so impressionistic flies work best. I like heavily weighted flies in natural colors (olive, brown, or black) with some flash, usually red, tied in. My standard size for creeks is usually #4 tied with medium dumbell eyes. For swift water, a beadhead just won't cut it for me. Think wooly buggers with flash, sculpin patterns, and big stonefly or hellgrammite nymphs. Where have you been fishing? I'm not an expert, but if you're around E TN somewhere I'd be willing to meet up and go sometime.

4wt
07-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I live in central Alabama.But I will try some wooly buggers.And try to get me some crawfish patterns before i go back.Thanks!!!!!!

Mundele
07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely give some heavy wooly buggers a try.

MickT
07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=4wt;83223]I live in central Alabama...[QUOTE]

4 wt, I didn't think that rock bass roamed that far south, so I checked Dr. Etnier's book (he literally wrote the book on the fish of TN), and you may be catching shadow bass (Ambloplites ariommus) instead of rockbass ((Ambloplites rupestris). Rock bass aren't found south of the TN river watershed according to his book. The two are almost identical, except the rock bass is generally larger, and they have different no.'s of spines in the dorsal and anal fins, scale counts, and length to width ratio. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart, except by their range.