PDA

View Full Version : North River

Shaggy
07-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I was able to sneak away to the North River tonight for a few hours before dark. It rained last night and I was hoping for some slightly stained water in the hopes I may manage a very rare brown trout. I was correct about the water being sained but as usual, no sign of browns. I have not caught a brown trout on the North in almost 2 years and am beginning to wonder if there are many left at all. Also keep in mind that I am not that great of a fly fisherman so it may just be a skill issue but you would think that with all of the bows and brookies I have caught that there would be an occasional brown. I fished a nice stretch above campsite #3 for about an hour and a half and managed around 8 bows (missed or lost more than that) all pretty small but full of fight! Here are some pics.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/7797chapman/PICT0322.jpghttp://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/7797chapman/PICT0318.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/7797chapman/PICT0317.jpg

tennswede
07-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Shaggy,

Nice fat bow you got there, as for the browns. They are there, caught a good one last September (13") . It was an overcast day so that helped. As you know the browns are not the easiest. Are you fishing the appropriate water? With that I mean, where you typically catch bows like the one in your picture, is not where the better browns are. Look for slow moving runs. flats and in water where you catch mostly shiners and such, one of these days you will not get a shiner, it will be a brown.

David Knapp
07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Saw some browns up there last weekend including a nice 16 or 17 incher. They are there, just a little tougher than the 'bows and brookies...

Shaggy
07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Great to know that the browns are still alive and well in the North River. It has become my favorite place to go lately as it is so close to home and also does not get much fishing pressure ( which is surprising to me, but I am not complaining).

Thanks for the tips tennswede!

FishNHunt
07-18-2010, 11:00 PM
The wife and I came threw there this weekend on our way to Stratton Medows. It was our anniversary so I didn't take a rod. We got out and checked out the river and I was surprised at how cool the river was. If it were deeper I believe a wet wade would not have been comfortable. We saw a fella (attempting) flyfishing. I started to stop and ask how he was doing but, by the expression on his face it was clear he'd been hung in a few trees other than the one he was in when we passed. We walked down to the waterfall at the head of the valley and I would really like to fish or attempt to fish that section. It looks VERY closed in thou so I would most likely look like that fella above in a matter of minutes. That sure is a beautiful area up there. I never tire of going from Bald River to the Cherohala Skyway.

Crockett
07-19-2010, 08:01 AM
I was down there yesterday FishNHunt but only fished once at Sugar Cove Branch at the bottom where it goes under the North River road. The water was cold but I didn't catch anything. I have fished that bottom area twice without so much as a strike. I am thinking maybe I need to take that 194 trail up a ways that maybe that bottom part is fished out since it is right at the road or something. Anyone know anything about that spot?

My fiancee and and went up to the skyway after my sad fishing attempt and we hiked the 1.5 miles out to Whigg Meadow in the rain. Lots of rain in fact it rained for at least 3 hours in the vicinity of Whigg. We picked about a half gallon of blueberries and explored around the pond there and all. I wonder if there are fish in that pond.

FishNHunt
07-20-2010, 12:02 AM
The fella we saw was on a scooter. LOL!!! I told the wife he must be a real dare devil to ride that road on a scooter. The wife and I saw tons of black berries that were just turning ripe. We saw a few blue berries but, not enough to fool with. We left before all the rain hit. We had a picnic out in the field on Stratton Medows and it was nice....... until the military helicopter came and hovered about 50 foot above the field for 10 minutes. We actually finished eating before he turned and came over us blowing stuff around. They were so low that the door gunner waved at us when they went over head and we could see his eyes threw his big goggles. I sure love it up there. I am going to try to arrange an over night stay in the tent and fish that section two full days. If I don't catch anything in two full days I might as well just forget about it.

Grumpy
07-20-2010, 07:54 AM
My fiancee and and went up to the skyway after my sad fishing attempt and we hiked the 1.5 miles out to Whigg Meadow in the rain. Lots of rain in fact it rained for at least 3 hours in the vicinity of Whigg. We picked about a half gallon of blueberries and explored around the pond there and all. I wonder if there are fish in that pond.

No fish in the pond, a beautiful place to visit & get photo's on a clear day.

Grumpy