PDA

View Full Version : Brookie painting

Bran
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Tried my hand at painting my first Brookie last night. Looks kinda cartoonish, guess I need some more practice!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z9/bmidkiff_photos/2010-07-12220656-1.jpg

Jim Casada
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Bran--Other than the mouth, which I suspect would be the most difficult aspect, I think you did really well. I envy folks such as you who have artistic ability, those who can sing, play musical instruments, etc. Other than modest success in sports in high school and college, I have display a singular lifelong lack of most any kind of do-it-yourself talent except gardening. I can make stuff grow and raise two gardens (one in S. C. and one in Bryson City) each year. Keep at it!
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

2weightfavorite
07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
im sure its not what you were aiming for, but it looks alot like art from native american tribes from the the North Pacific.. If I tried to paint a trout, no telling what it would come out looking like...I doubt it would look troutish though..

Bran
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I've always done a lot of pencil drawings of animals, fish, buildings, outdoors, etc. but the oil paint or painting in general is new to me and the hardest thing I'm having trouble with is mixing colors and outlining. I appreciate the kind words though, I just thought I'd throw it on here, something a little different during all this summer heat and drought we've been in.
I think I'll pick out another rock and try again this evening, maybe I'll get a little better with some practice. Think I might try to paint a couple of flies or something of that nature, or maybe a nice little pool below a water fall with a riser right in the tail of it.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

BlueRaiderFan
07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Cool brookie! Here's my latest:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/ART/PheasantTail.jpg

PeteCz
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I envy folks such as you who have artistic ability, those who can sing, play musical instruments, etc. Other than modest success in sports in high school and college, I have display a singular lifelong lack of most any kind of do-it-yourself talent except gardening. I can make stuff grow and raise two gardens (one in S. C. and one in Bryson City) each year. Keep at it!

Jim, I think most folks would consider being an author, who can actually make a living selling the words that pop into their head, to be something of a talent...

just sayin'....

Scott H.
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
I believe that catching a trout on a fly can also be somewhat of an art, or at least some people make it seem that way.

By the way, nice paintings Bran and Raider

Scott

Bran
07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks again guys, and Raider that's pretty nice too!! I agree that Jim has a huge talent. I've thoroughly enjoyed my copy of the new Smokies book and Scott, totally agree that catching fish on the fly is a beauty to behold. It's a little bit of artwork and a whole lot of talent in and of itself!! I went up Greenbriar a couple years ago with Troutman and it was just absolutely awesome to watch him lay out line and cast in those tiny little pockets between brush and limbs and never once lose a fly!

BlueRaiderFan
07-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, writing is an art form, no doubt. So, is being an expert trout stalker. I have a few more years before that happens, if ever.

GrouseMan77
07-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Bran - I like it. Paint me a grouse.

Jim Casada
07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
PeteCz--Thanks. I guess words for nickels has some merit from a creative perspective. Actually, they have made me wealthy. Not in terms of livelihood but in providing a rich lifestyle. Also, I noticed a typo in the post you quoted, as I often do. Rest assured I am grammatically and stylistically more aware than my posts sometimes show. It's just too much trouble to proofread them, and if this forum has a spell checking function it has eluded me.
P. S. I'm sitting in an upstairs window looking out over the Tuckasegee River valley towards the Alarka Mountains, watching it rain and listening to the sound of that rain on a tin roof. Mighty soothing stuff, and doubly so given how much the moisture is needed.
Jim Casada

Bran
07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Alright, you're on. Thanks, really, I just kinda enjoy it. I drew a Bobwhite several years ago with charcoal, I'll have to post up a pic. of that.

Jim Casada
07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
BlueRaiderFan--Rest assured you'll never become an expert trout stalker. You'll just become more expert than you are now. At least that's my view. After 62 years of doing it I think I've graduated from kindergarten, but it's possible it was a social promotion. Mastery of trout fishing is a relative concept, and one of the sport's great glories is that there's always room to better yourself. Horace Kephart is not one of my favorite figures, although I've written a great deal about him, but he was spot on when he wrote, "in the school of the outdoors there is no graduation day."
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors)

BlueRaiderFan
07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Mr. Casada,

I have no doubt that that is good advice ;) I still can't catch em when others can, so I know I have a long way to go to become even proficient, but it sure is fun trying :biggrin:

Bran
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM
He sure was Jim, that's ideal. You know I just finished the chapter about Kephart in Frome's book and I still understand very little about him. He sounded like a troubled soul although it seems he did some good things. I also looked at the info. on the UT website about him just trying to find some info. about him other than his own work.
Glad you're getting some rain, we need some here so bad. Looks like a slight chance of thunder showers here soon.

Plunker
07-24-2010, 04:46 PM
No Offense but I really like the cartoonish character. I think it would sell based on that.
IMHO it's a really good use of the medium, absolutely appropo. The STYLE FITS the rock perfectly.
I cannot wait to see a whole series!

I've been looking for the right thing to paint my Westie onto, afraid nothing short of a Rock from a Scottish Cairn will do though!

Keep at it!

Bran
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
None taken plunker, I've never attempted one before so it was a trial run. Here's another I did a couple of days later:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z9/bmidkiff_photos/2010-07-15193859.jpg

Plunker
07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Pretty good...like the Brookie a lot better.
I did something similar on the side of an Old Timey tool box a few years back...sadly don't have a pic anymore.
Is that some kind of shale you are usin...looks like it would suck up paint like a sponge though.

Bran
07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
No, it's gray flint, the same used for knapping arrowheads.

Plunker
07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
On our trip to the smokys this past April, my brother and I saw numerous instances of little stacked monoliths up many of the creeks we fished in.

Saw them up Treemont, Elkmont, and a couple of places on LR...they were some of the creepiest/coolest things we saw.

Never once thought to take a pic of some of them, cause I kept looking over my shoulders for the "stick" men shhh shhh shhh, ah ah ahh.

Kind of a Smoky version of the Blair Witch awooooooo:redface:

I wonder if there are any books on supernatural legends of the area?

(Course I KNOW this is bound to start the "Banjo" music responses :biggrin:)
But it's fun to consider, for instance...I wouldnt be caught dead creeping around the elkmont houses, alone and at night)

(dey iz some Haint's up in dem woods fo sho)

Jim Casada
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Plunker--Most if not all of those mini-cairns are placed there by visitors, not locals. Also, I think they are almost always the work of hikers, not anglers. As for ghost stories, there are tales of haints aplenty connected with the Smokies and a number of books on such stories.
Jim Casada

DannyV
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Bran, keep plugging away. While I haven't made any fish art or outdoors related art, I am always inspired that fly fishermen seem to be the type who like to make things (fly tying, rod building, photography, painting ect.) Only two things can keep me from fishing, work, and art-making. Being a ceramic engineer it only seemed natural to get involved with ceramic art. Link and Photos of my BFA thesis exhibition.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/4616966792_4f665c2b65.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4616364139_60e5e848b0.jpg

Lots more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danvuono/sets/72157623957928609/with/4616343641/

Plunker
07-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Plunker--Most if not all of those mini-cairns are placed there by visitors, not locals. As for ghost stories, there are tales of haints aplenty connected with the Smokies and a number of books on such stories.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Thanks Mr.Jim, I searched the depths of my vocabulary and could not come up with that description....Leave it to our Merciful Professor of Literature and Trout to help a guy out. That was driving me nuts....

Speaking of Books...Please allow me to thank you for your Excellent treatise on Smoky Mountain Trout fishing. I got my copy from LRO, and it was HUGELY responsible for a great fising trip last april.
Again...Thank You!

Bran
07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Nice Danny, thanks for sharing those, I can definately see the creativity. I never really thought about what you have stated about fly fishermen but it's so true. Very creative lot as a whole.
Plunker, I'd spend a night at the Elmont cabins in a skinny minute!! I love that place and I'm gonna build a replica of that pink house one day somewhere. The whole ghost town thing just fascinates me and fishing down back of daisy town on Jakes under those old decks or up past Millionaire's row on LR always gets me thinking about how it must have been back then. There's frustratingly little info. on the club towns, I've bought every book I can find that even mentions them and that's about all any of them do. Last train to Elkmont says more about them than any other book I've found and it's not near enough for my curiosity!!
Mr. Cassida, have you ever ran across anything with any depth of information about the club towns or day to day happenings of that era at Elkmont? Just wondering...... You would think someone would have did a diary or autobiography on it at some time, preferably someone that managed or had day to day dealings with the Appalachian or Wonderland.