PDA

View Full Version : nances ferry

2weightfavorite
07-15-2010, 09:46 PM
I was just wondering how the smallmouth fishing was in the big big pool where the boat launch is at Nances Ferry? How far down the river does that slow water go? Any info about smallmouth fishing around naces Ferry wold be helpful... I do have a canoe, so I have plenty of options. And I was also wondering if any of you have ever caught or heard of walley being caught around Nances Ferry?

ChemEAngler
07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
I was just wondering how the smallmouth fishing was in the big big pool where the boat launch is at Nances Ferry? How far down the river does that slow water go? Any info about smallmouth fishing around naces Ferry wold be helpful... I do have a canoe, so I have plenty of options. And I was also wondering if any of you have ever caught or heard of walley being caught around Nances Ferry?

I usually walk upstream 1/3 to 1/2 mile before I start fishing. I have fished in the big pool before, but have never caught any smallies there. However, it is generally swarming with big carp.

Can't answer your question about walleye.

waterwolf
07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Very very very few walleye anywhere in the Holston, there are a few sauger however. That deep slow stretch goes about 3/4 mile to Mcbee Island. The right bank is rock piles and trees which hold bass in pretty good numbers. Years ago I caught a huge largemouth over there, I guessed him to be around 7 lbs or so.

After a ways their is a small creek which comes in from the left, it is really small and easily missed. There is a gravel spit that juts out in the river where it drains in, great place to catch several smallmouth as well.

The head of the island downstream is terrible, deep weed beds. However down the right side is riffles which sometimes hold a few bass, and are loaded with stockers before the water warms too much.