PDA

View Full Version : the Elk

white95v6
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
i wonder why the TWRA does not stock this river with more fish. granted i am no expert. but this river is Plenty cold and seems to have enough life(food) to support more fish being stocked. from the dam to Ferris creek we only seen maybe 60-70 fish if i had to guess and between two of us we caught about 15-17 fish all day. now we seen some realy nice fish one brown was close to 7lbs and lost a 3-4 lb brown.

rockytopwoolybugger
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I feel your pain. I fished the elk this past weekend for the first time since last summer. I was expecting a great day seeing as how one day last summer was one of the most productive fishing trips I have been to any tailwater in Tennessee. However, that was not the case at all. I only saw a few fish and threw everything I could think to throw but the fish were not having it. I spoke to at least a dozen people that day that said it was probably the worst day they have ever seen on the elk. I also spoke to a few guys that said they were there a week earlier and caught their limit in 45 minutes and couldn't keep fish off the hook. I was very disappointed with the fishing, and I hope it gets better because I really like the elk river.

white95v6
07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
yea it just seemed like the river was down on the fish population. not sure why the TWRA does not stock anymore then it does. i mean its a beautiful river with very cold water.

highpockets
07-21-2010, 06:02 PM
It has been that way for over a month now. WE go often (or did) but the last three thrips I caught 2 fish or 1 fish. That's fishing for 4 hours or more.
The only people that I have heard are catching a few are floating from the dam down to Ferris creek.

To be honest I have not seen or heard of them stocking in a long while. They mucked with it hard last year so I wouldn't put it past them not to stock for some reason.

rockytopwoolybugger
07-21-2010, 09:35 PM
yeah last year there were fish everywhere. I mean you could be wading and just have trout almost swimming between your legs. It made for a good time with lots of fish being caught. That is just not the case this year.

white95v6
07-22-2010, 08:06 AM
man that sucks to hear. cause now that i live less then 30 min from the bottom of the dam. i would like to fish it more then i had in the past. maybe i will fire off a email to the TWRA and see whats the deal.

Jack Hise
07-22-2010, 09:23 AM
1) The TWRA has little to do with the stocking of the Elk River since the stocking was take over by the Dale Hollow Hatchery, a Federal hatchery.

2) The Elk was stocked with rainbows on July 9th and is scheduled for another stocking this month. 2 stocking in one month is unusual.

3) Learn to fish Midges this time of year!

white95v6
07-23-2010, 09:11 AM
1) The TWRA has little to do with the stocking of the Elk River since the stocking was take over by the Dale Hollow Hatchery, a Federal hatchery.

2) The Elk was stocked with rainbows on July 9th and is scheduled for another stocking this month. 2 stocking in one month is unusual.

3) Learn to fish Midges this time of year!

hmm that sucks now the Feds have control over our fishing Great:rolleyes:.

and yea two stockings in one month does seem like alot. but boy it didn't seem like there was a stocking this month.

and i am not a fly fisherman at all.

kentuckytroutbum
07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
On the 2x stocking, I'm wondering if there was an issue at the hatchery.

Last year, The USF&WS dumped thousands of trout into the Hatchery Creek on the Cumberland. What they said was, because of all of the dam repairs, the water at the intake pipe to the hatchery was too warm for the fish. Subsequently, warm water will have less dissolved oxygen. And they would rather give the fish a chance to survive in the river, as opposed to dying in the hatchery tanks.

But to the original point , it still doesn't explain the reduced number of fish that are being caught.

highpockets
07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Last time I went (recently) I actually "saw" a lot of fish. Some hitting on top, some in the deeper pools with my polarized glasses. 3 guys in a boat paddled up and said that they had a good day and caught quite a few, but they had gone from the dam to Ferris.

I'm wondering if the heat or water levels are making them feed at night.