PDA

View Full Version : Odd question - hunting on the Clinch?

bcunnin1
07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I have always done my duck hunting mostly in West and Middle Tn but I was wondering whether anyone has ever taken a canoe or boat out (or I guess waded) and hunted on the Clinch during duck season. I always seem to see ducks and a ton of geese on the river but have never seen anyone hunt it when I have fished in the winter.

Anyone ever done it or know someone who has? And what kind of generation schedule do they run in the winter I can't remember of the top of my head? I know I have waded it in the winter but can't remember if they regularly keep the water low enough to be safe in a boat.

GrouseMan77
07-19-2010, 07:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Scott Spencer
07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I believe that hunting from a kayak or unpowered canoe would be legal outside city limits and as long as you don't get out on private land. I know that you can duck hunt the rivers here in Alabama for waterfowl since they are public waterways. Whether or not some fly fisherman would be bothered is another story.

I would check with the State G&F and see what they have to say about it.

2weightfavorite
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
My favorite way to duck hunt here in the east is while crappie fishing... Break out the decoys and the camo duck boat and the ducks wont come close,however, take out the fishing boat and fishing rods, and you get some great pass shooting...not to mention the crappie fishing is good all winter. Be sure to have no motors on, and I believe the book says something about coming to a complete stop before "hunting" however if you set up a decoy spread while anchored, or crappie fish while anchored, you're totaly legit!

ChemEAngler
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I have had guys drift past me before hunting ducks on the Clinch.

waterwolf
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
The only wild ducks on the Clinch would be wood ducks, and maybe the random teal which buzz through early. Shooting mallards on the Clinch would be the same as shooting them at your favorite marina. Most live in Clinton under the bridge and get fed bread, or live at the marina at the Dam and jump down to the river to gravel and eat midges.

The geese are wild, but good luck figuring them out, kill all of them for all I care. They are a plague.

Green Weenie
07-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I was fishing down at the jail 2 winters ago when this good ol' boy in a john boat came by me, motored to within 150 yards upstream of where I was fishing, and proceeded to blast a school of geese after they got up off the water.

Now, while this was somewhat rude and also scared the **** out of me, I still netted a goose for him as it drifted past; mostly because I didn't want him motoring through the run again chasing some ****able dead goose. (This was the second weirdest thing I've ever netted, with the first being a bikini top.) He thanked me for my awesome netting skills, motored up around the bend, and proceeded to shoot at least a dozen more times over the course of the morning. A little while later, he drifted back by me, heading back to the boat ramp with a BOAT FULL of assorted waterfowl. He tipped his hat, and I just shook my head.

Also, I caught some really good fish that day...

bcunnin1
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured people did it I just had never seen them. Maybe this winter when I am fishing I will just sling the shotgun on my back and wait for the geese to come swimming by!!

Waterwolf, I know what you mean about the tame mallards thats why you use my secret weapon. You take a bread bag blow it up and tie it off to some cord and a weight. I find the wonderbread bags with the white and blues and reds is particularly effective.

waterwolf
07-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I was fishing down at the jail 2 winters ago when this good ol' boy in a john boat came by me, motored to within 150 yards upstream of where I was fishing, and proceeded to blast a school of geese after they got up off the water.

Now, while this was somewhat rude and also scared the **** out of me, I still netted a goose for him as it drifted past; mostly because I didn't want him motoring through the run again chasing some ****able dead goose. (This was the second weirdest thing I've ever netted, with the first being a bikini top.) He thanked me for my awesome netting skills, motored up around the bend, and proceeded to shoot at least a dozen more times over the course of the morning. A little while later, he drifted back by me, heading back to the boat ramp with a BOAT FULL of assorted waterfowl. He tipped his hat, and I just shook my head.

Also, I caught some really good fish that day...

I have never used a boat to mass slaughter geese above 61 bridge, but I have waded with a shotgun on my back and killed plenty. I hate the things, and wish all of them a long slow and painful death. I have been tempted to stomp the little goslings or bust eggs if I didn't have to deal with the adult geese in the process. :smile:

FishNHunt
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
You can shoot from a moving boat ONLY as long as it's the current moving you. I love hunting rivers because your decoys look so alive. Most of the time when you get ducks or geese coming or going on a river they are lower than on the impoundment and work much better.... or maybe it's because they are within gun range when they figure you out. I would give it a try but, I wouldn't try it with out a powered boat or you will most likely loose alot of birds. If it were me I would wait until it was brutally cold and everything else was froze up. That river won't freeze and would probably be stacked with them.

On a side note. My dad and I fished the San Juan in Jan. a few years back and it was LOADED with ducks. I could hardly fish for looking at all the Common and Barrows Golden Eyes. I would love to go back and hunt that river one day.... and fish it too.

Tippet
07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
The only wild ducks on the Clinch would be wood ducks, and maybe the random teal which buzz through early. Shooting mallards on the Clinch would be the same as shooting them at your favorite marina. Most live in Clinton under the bridge and get fed bread, or live at the marina at the Dam and jump down to the river to gravel and eat midges.

The geese are wild, but good luck figuring them out, kill all of them for all I care. They are a plague.

To shoot some geese just set up below 61 bridge close to Tecmer Plant. Then call a buddy to drive through JC Park and scare the geese into flight. They will come right over to the river. This is not for the most ethical sortsman, but unfortunately I do know some guys that do this, and are quite successful.:biggrin:

Tippet
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
:biggrin: Sorry hit submit twice.

waterwolf
07-22-2010, 10:33 PM
To shoot some geese just set up below 61 bridge close to Tecmer Plant. Then call a buddy to drive through JC Park and scare the geese into flight. They will come right over to the river. This is not for the most ethical sortsman, but unfortunately I do know some guys that do this, and are quite successful.:biggrin:
Myself and another Little River Forum member were the first to shoot the gaps below 61. We never had any help, but had their routes figured out very well and usually had no trouble taking a few out. I am serious when I say kill them all, any way possible. I hate geese as much as the devil.

bcunnin1
07-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree with you there. I would walk a mile in the snow barefoot to kill one goose over killing a limit of ducks. Pure hatred.

Waterwolf maybe later this year we can hook and have a combo fish/hunt down there by 61. Exact a little revenge!