PDA

View Full Version : Clinch!!!! How's it fishing for ya? Let's hear it

Rodonthefly
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
i havn't been out in over a week now going on two weeks :mad:... Family vaction, getting caught back up at work, and chasing small mouth have had me away. Let's hear some stories, to get me in the mood for this weekend. Catching any big ones? Sulpher hatch? big numbers? etc. Getting the itch to get back after'em, i'm going to be out all weekend this comming weekend! :biggrin:

waterwolf
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Exactly the same as it has been all summer, spooky fish at times, incredibly dumb fish at times, no real monsters landed, but some decent fish landed. Same flies, same depths, and same old places are producing.

I have done real well on days when the wind was blowing, and not so well when the wind was calm and the sun high.

I saw psnapp on Sunday, and he seemed to be doing fine, we had a great day on Sunday, but the wind was blowing about 20MPH sustained which really helped offset the crystal clear water.

IMO, this is the most consistent I have ever seen the Clinch, it never changes from trip to trip. The only thing which changes is the weather which can make fishing stupidly easy or technical as ****. If you were catching fish earlier, you will catch them now, if you weren't catching them earlier then you won't catch them now.

Jswitow
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Water Wolf,
How are you man? Haven't fished the Clinch in some time. Seems awfully late for Sulphurs, are they still around in July? Midges [olive, zebra) with and without beads, and maybe some small pheasant tails still work out there..... on long, fine tippets?
Thanks,
John

psnapp
07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Rod -- will let you know late tomorrow. Taking the 7-wt and big streamers tomorrow to see if heftier fish are interested.

Phil

knucklehead
07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
on my second trip to the clinch in a month, the barges were finally removed from the clear creek entrance. last time, i fished darn near all day from them and wore my arm out hauling in stocker size browns and an occasional bow.
on this trip though, not much at the creek entrance (water was up then and this time as well). so i went down stream a bit and anchored on shore near some bait slingers. caught a bucket full of pint size bows, 1 decent brown (10-11 in) and 2 bows i kept for supper. all on small, dark flies..midges and bhpt. all in all, i'll be back when the water's down longer.

waterwolf
07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Water Wolf,
How are you man? Haven't fished the Clinch in some time. Seems awfully late for Sulphurs, are they still around in July? Midges [olive, zebra) with and without beads, and maybe some small pheasant tails still work out there..... on long, fine tippets?
Thanks,
John
SUlphurs are still hatching, somedays good somedays not so good. It is pretty hit and miss this late. I am still sticking with the bread and butter PT's, and catching as many as I wish to on any given day. You know me, I fish a 7.5' leader with 3 feet of 5x, maybe 6x if the water is really low. I don't believe in long leaders or small tippet. Put the fly where it needs to be, and drift it well, the rest is unimportant IMO.

Hope all is well with you John, and you are staying out of trouble.

Rodonthefly
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Wolf you fishing a single Pt or are you using a droper rig?

Wilson10
07-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I fished last Saturday. Cloudy and high winds. Fishing was tough for me. Caught a handful 15 inch rainbow was biggest.

waterwolf
07-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Wolf you fishing a single Pt or are you using a droper rig?
Please, me fish two flies....never. I have seen too many times when someone fishing in the boat with me got spanked fishing two flies, by someone using a single rig. In super heavy water it makes sense, but on the Clinch with the water low, big mistake.

ChemEAngler
07-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I haven't been on the Clinch since May 7th. Work has been keeping me busy, so my Friday fishing trips have been limited. Plus I prefer to fish early morning this time of year, and it hasn't been an option lately. When that happens I choose to go elsewhere and do some warmwater fishing. I am not one for fishing in a crowd. Those of you who know me, know the area I fish typically, and it isn't a heavily populated area. However, I have seen some Saturdays where the place looks like a zoo, so I choose to just stay away. At least until after the sulfurs have slowed, and the people who come around just for that one event have long gone.

This time of year I start counting down the days until football season. Not because I particularly care to watch the game, but because so many others do. :biggrin: Once football starts up, I will venture to the river on a Saturday.

It is good to hear that it is still fishing consistently well.

psnapp
07-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Rod --- it's still fishing very well! Decided to fish midges instead of slinging feathers today. After a slow early a.m. start, things really heated up. I only fished stripped peacock herl and olive midges, and they hit both with gusto. Water was slightly stained today which seemed to help. Only saw 1 sulphur.

Phil

Rodonthefly
07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Good to hear, looking to get out there some this week and weekend, thought about fishing the weir pool tonihgt has anyone been up there recently?

Jswitow
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Water Wolf,
Thanks, and yes doing well. Our son is 12 now, going in 7th grade,..... got my 30th HS reunion this weekend. Time flies..... whether you're having fun or not ;).
Hope to run into you out there sometime.
John

psnapp
07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Please, me fish two flies....never. I have seen too many times when someone fishing in the boat with me got spanked fishing two flies, by someone using a single rig. In super heavy water it makes sense, but on the Clinch with the water low, big mistake.

WW -- Best fly fishermen I have had the pleasure of fishing with wouldn't dream of using > 1 fly no matter what the conditions. Wish I had that level of confidence! I usually fish a dropper, mainly to see if the fish prefer one pattern over another on that particular day.

waterwolf
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
WW -- Best fly fishermen I have had the pleasure of fishing with wouldn't dream of using > 1 fly no matter what the conditions. Wish I had that level of confidence! I usually fish a dropper, mainly to see if the fish prefer one pattern over another on that particular day.
To each their own on the multi fly deal. I did it for a while, but figured out the fish generally eat the bottom fly, and it has a propensity to get rats nested up. I have no patience for nests, and am stupidly stubborn when it comes to what I fish. I have just settled into a nice little rut where I fish a handful of flies no matter what.

psnapp
07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
To each their own on the multi fly deal. I did it for a while, but figured out the fish generally eat the bottom fly, and it has a propensity to get rats nested up. I have no patience for nests, and am stupidly stubborn when it comes to what I fish. I have just settled into a nice little rut where I fish a handful of flies no matter what.

Haven't reached that level of confidence yet. I enjoy trying to invent a better mouse trap and try many new patterns. On the other hand, my best fishing friend is in the same boat as you .... 2-3 patterns is about all he fishes, and he consistently kicks my butt! He was the guy downstream from me last Sunday hooking up on about every cast! Maybe I'll come to my senses and quit tinkering around with patterns someday!

Rodonthefly
07-23-2010, 06:48 PM
hey phil, blow ol wolfs mind and post them pics of those mayflies. I'm intereste in his reaction! hahaha:biggrin:

psnapp
07-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Wolf --- send me your email address to phil.snapp@yahoo.com. I'd like to share some insect photos I made on the Clinch this a.m. I think John Thurman and CRCTU may have done some research on this insect on the Clinch a few years ago. Interesting stuff!

Jswitow
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Can one of you remind me how long it takes the water to get to the jail when they turn on:
1 turbine?
2 Turbines?
Thanks,
John

psnapp
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.crctu.com/Drain_Down/clinch_drain.htm

Phil

Tippet
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Just remember the water will come up higher then the chart says if the water has not fully drained. Also, if it is just a hour pulse, and it is on low water then you will barely notice it.

waterwolf
07-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Just remember the water will come up higher then the chart says if the water has not fully drained. Also, if it is just a hour pulse, and it is on low water then you will barely notice it.
Somewhat true, the pulse raise has more to do with how much water and how long TVA runs it for. I am not saying prior river level doesn't have a bearing, but duration and strength of pulse has a ton of input.

Jswitow
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Thank gentlemen. Been too long since I fished the Clinch. Glad to hear it is doing better, and plan on giving it a go soon.
Best,
John

ChemEAngler
07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Made it out this morning and fished for about 45 minutes before a storm ran me off the water. So I waited it out in the truck and got geared back up again to have the skies open up again about the time I made it back down to where I was at previously. I spotted some big heads taking midges in the film and finally found the fly they wanted just before the storms ran me off. I will keep that in mind for next trip.

Here is the largest fish of the morning. I taped him at 22.5".
http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v16/p879898030-4.jpg
Unfortunately, I can't take credit for catching him. He was floundering around when I found him and spent a long time trying to revive him. Upon closer inspection he appeared to have talon marks in the top of his head (you can barely see it in this pic) and around his abdomen. Wonder if one of the resident eagles tried to bite off more than they could handle. I was unsuccessful in reviving him, as he was shaking violently at times. At one point I thought he was going to survive, so I let go of him and he drifted downstream a little ways and turned upside down again.

silvercreek
07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Beautiful fish. Shame it went to waste. I watched an Osprey hammer a trout the other day on the Caney. I could not see if he was successful, but he seemed to be flying a little heavy. I love to see them roll over into a dive. They really smack the water. I'm guessing your are right about it being an eagle. I don't think an osprey would attempt such a large fish

waterwolf
07-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Made it out this morning and fished for about 45 minutes before a storm ran me off the water. So I waited it out in the truck and got geared back up again to have the skies open up again about the time I made it back down to where I was at previously. I spotted some big heads taking midges in the film and finally found the fly they wanted just before the storms ran me off. I will keep that in mind for next trip.

Here is the largest fish of the morning. I taped him at 22.5".
http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v16/p879898030-4.jpg
Unfortunately, I can't take credit for catching him. He was floundering around when I found him and spent a long time trying to revive him. Upon closer inspection he appeared to have talon marks in the top of his head (you can barely see it in this pic) and around his abdomen. Wonder if one of the resident eagles tried to bite off more than they could handle. I was unsuccessful in reviving him, as he was shaking violently at times. At one point I thought he was going to survive, so I let go of him and he drifted downstream a little ways and turned upside down again.

Nature is a bitch, that is a fine specimen of a brown trout. Gorgeous fish, and just as good a picture to match.

pineman19
08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I saw an osprey flying low while I was fishing below Millers Island on Friday. I imagine they could do similar damage to a trout as an eagle.

Neal

waterwolf
08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I have not seen any eagles on the Clinch, plenty of ospreys around, but no eagles.

RuningWolf
08-03-2010, 01:48 AM
There are some Bald Eagles on the Clinch, as there are Norris and Melton Hill

waterwolf
08-03-2010, 06:47 AM
There are some Bald Eagles on the Clinch, as there are Norris and Melton Hill
I have seen plenty on Norris, just never seen one on the Clinch. The Holston, has several but I haven't seen them in quite a while.

Wilson10
08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Rod and I saw one below cold water a couple months back.

waterwolf
08-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Rod and I saw one below cold water a couple months back.
That's cool, I have never seen one on the Clinch, but do not doubt that they are there from time to time.

Rodonthefly
08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Jim there are two that are nesting on top of the ridge close to where you seen me that day.

We were on Norris at Anderson County park this past Sunday and seen one there as well. I have seen more and more eagles over the past 3 or 4 years then what I use to see as kid.

RuningWolf
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
There has been some nesting on Norris since the 60’s, especially up some of the long coves that are fed by creeks and that had little boating traffic then, I have seen them on the Clinch from the late 60’s on, rare back then, however as of late I see them regularly as well as some places on Melton Hill. I’ve got a cousin who has some nice shots of some near Ijams Nature Center. Watts Bar started having some nesting in the 90’s as did the river below the dam.

I wish I had a camera with me on the river a couple weeks ago as a Osprey and a Eagle had a dispute over a Trout. The Osprey caught it and the Eagle wanted it. It was interesting to watch

psnapp
08-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Saw my first eagle this morning on the Clinch around Riverbend. Beautiful bird and much bigger than I had imagined.

MadisonBoats
08-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Fellas,
Thank Dolly Parton for her contribution to helping establish eagles in Tennessee. Her program is top notch. Also, several other programs have greatly improved the odds of survival for these beautiful animals.

http://www.eagles.org/news/news/Dolly-Parton-AEF-Challenger-Help-Open-Exhibit.php

waterwolf
08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
They certainly have become prolific around here, it used to be that you never saw one, and if you did it was a once in a decade thing. Now they seem to be getting more and more common. We saw one today on a Smallmouth river, where i have never seen one before.