PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the fly fishermen gone on the Clinch?

yellowsulphur29
07-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Just wondering if the clinch is fishing slooooowwww for us frequent flyers? In all my recent trips to the Clinch all I keep seeing is the bait and corn chuckers with spinning equipment pounding the river from Millers up to the weir. I have found myself surrounded by so much orange powerbait floating by lately I thought folks were chumming the waters.

Sadly, I see most of these bait chuckers also taking very large stringers of fish consistently while I fight the small stockers off every BHPT or midge just to get it down to where the big girls stay. Is the heat, odd generation schedule, or poor fly fishing causing most fly anglers to stay home, or is there an area more apt for fly fishing when the days get this warm than those I mentioned. Thanks again.

waterwolf
07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't care where they have gone, but I am not missing them, and certainly have never considered begging to have company on the river. I was out today, and saw a few folks out.

yellowsulphur29
07-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Not really looking for company, just wondering if most everyone out now is a spin fisherman. I was out today as well and saw maybe two fly fisherman and probably about 40 spin fisherman. I certainly am not doing as well fly fishing as those bait chuckers and I was just questioning if maybe a lot of these anglers change from fly fishing to spin fishing at certain times of the year.

DannyV
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I have been itching to fish the clinch but with the generation schedules they have been running its next to impossible for wading. I work M-F 9-5 and the schedules have been awful for me. I am really excited for the weather to cool down, and then the demand for power to run all of those ac units will be lessened and I can get my fish on! Anyone else have similar woes with the recent generation schedules?

waterwolf
07-23-2010, 06:49 AM
I have been itching to fish the clinch but with the generation schedules they have been running its next to impossible for wading. I work M-F 9-5 and the schedules have been awful for me. I am really excited for the weather to cool down, and then the demand for power to run all of those ac units will be lessened and I can get my fish on! Anyone else have similar woes with the recent generation schedules?
The schedules this year have been the best and most consistent they have been as long as I can remember. You can wade every day until late afternoon around the jail.

The weekends are different, with the rec schedule, but TVA tries to give everyone a chance on the weekends with their schedules. Those schedules are a permanent thing, and last most of the warm months.

Stana Claus
07-23-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm there with you DannyV. I don't get off work until 4:30 or so and it takes me about an hour and a half to get home, pick up my son, and hit the river. We've been watching the schedules all week hoping to get a trip in before band camp starts next week, but with them running generators from 2pm until 8pm, it makes it kind of tough. I really don't feel like making the drive to fish for an hour right below the dam.

kentuckytroutbum
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Not really looking for company, just wondering if most everyone out now is a spin fisherman. I was out today as well and saw maybe two fly fisherman and probably about 40 spin fisherman. I certainly am not doing as well fly fishing as those bait chuckers and I was just questioning if maybe a lot of these anglers change from fly fishing to spin fishing at certain times of the year.

I fished the Clinch about a month ago, during the week, and I noticed the same thing. Besides myself, I saw only 1 other fly flinger, and the others were all spin fishing. And they were hauling the "bows" out of the river from the weir pool down to a point below Miller's Island.

Started to wonder about my choice of "weapons" to go after the "bows. With all of the heat that we've had, perhaps the fish on sitting on the bottom of the river in deep channels. With a fly rod, it's difficult to compete with a spin rod that can get the lure down really deep, say 10 feet or more.

Bill

DannyV
07-23-2010, 11:24 AM
The schedules this year have been the best and most consistent they have been as long as I can remember. You can wade every day until late afternoon around the jail.

Thanks for the heads up. I was not trying to say the schedules are bad for all waders. Only expressing my extreme sadness at my recent lack of fishing adventures on the clinch. Looking forward to cooler weather and more clinch trips in the future.

Bill. Maybe you could try a heavy sinking tip. I have never done anything like that but it could help, seems like it would be difficult to get a nice drift though. Maybe someone on here has tried?

waterwolf
07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I fished the Clinch about a month ago, during the week, and I noticed the same thing. Besides myself, I saw only 1 other fly flinger, and the others were all spin fishing. And they were hauling the "bows" out of the river from the weir pool down to a point below Miller's Island.

Started to wonder about my choice of "weapons" to go after the "bows. With all of the heat that we've had, perhaps the fish on sitting on the bottom of the river in deep channels. With a fly rod, it's difficult to compete with a spin rod that can get the lure down really deep, say 10 feet or more.

Bill
Your choice of weapon is fine, and the hot weather will have little impact on the Clinch because of the bitterly cold water temps and continuous flows. Keep your head up, and bait slingers usually do not out fish us.

Maybe one reason there are more bait slingers during the week then fly fisherman is because most fly fisherman actually are employed. Just saying...

Wilson10
07-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Maybe one reason there are more bait slingers during the week then fly fisherman is because most fly fisherman actually are employed. Just saying...

LOL :eek:

waterwolf
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
LOL :eek:
:biggrin: Not exactly bashful am I? :biggrin:

Bet others thought this, but either were smart enough not to say anything or afraid. ;)

Rodonthefly
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Maybe one reason there are more bait slingers during the week then fly fisherman is because most fly fisherman actually are employed. Just saying...[/QUOTE]

HaHa!!!! So how in the sam **** do you get out there all them weekdays? I bet you tell them you're going on lunch, but mean you're going to catch lunch to return 4 hours later. :biggrin: Or you tell then that you have some accounts to check up on in Anderson County :cool:

Rodonthefly
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Or do you have dirt on your boss and threaten him by telling his wife if he dosnt let you go fishin' :p

psnapp
07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
My advice for avoiding bait slingers? Avoid Miller's. Notorious for bait casters ... not that I have a prejudice against bait fishing, but Miller's is a magnet for all varieties of fisherpeople. I avoided Miller's for about 20 yrs, and the reason is that a very contempuous type fellow slung a huge bell sinker and #2 hook loaded with Kounty Kist corn across my fly line! I reeled in, untangled the guy's 10# monofilament from my fly line, bid the fellow good day, and didn't go back for close to 20 yrs. If you want to fish a stretch of the Clinch River with a little solitude, then work on developing some relationships with land owners along the Clinch. That will take some time and effort, but it is well worth the investment! Or, even better, look into a watercraft for floating sections of the river ... that is the ultimate way IMO to fish the Clinch!

2weightfavorite
07-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Not sure why you guys feel the need to get away from the bait slingers...? I hear horror stories of what they've done, crossing lines, killing fish, trashing river etc etc.. I only fly fish for trout, however, I find that often the other fly fishermen, especially on the clinch, are rude, and childish. Just last week, I had an older fellow run from where he was fishing up to the next riffle where I was heading so he could fish it first. He was a fly fisherman. I had a guy chuck a weighted wooly bugger right next to me this spring, and I was standing in that pool for an hour before that guy got there.
As far as the keeping fish, well, they have the right. It states the limit clearly in the TWRA regs book, and is posted on signs along the stream. Its not unlawful, un ethical, or in any way wrong to keep your limit of trout.
All this talk about bait slingers, and fly fishermen looking down their nose at other people, is exactly why I fish with a select few people, and stay away from any and all fly fishing organizations. Our grandfathers fished these rivers with bait and kept creel fulls of fish, long before we started fly fishing here.

psnapp
07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
2wtfav --- Oops! I am not opposed to any legal method of harvesting fish, and I do not consider myself a "look down my nose" flyfisher! I started my trout fishing experience in the early 1980's with a spinning rod, a can of Kounty Kist and a dozen nightcrawlers! I am not an Orvis or Simms-clad elitist after picking up the fly rod! I simply meant to convey that the best way to get away from the weekend masses on the Clinch is to avoid the most accessible, popular spots, i.e. Miller's Island. Didn't mean to ruffle your hackle with some simple plain talk!

waterwolf
07-23-2010, 10:27 PM

HaHa!!!! So how in the sam **** do you get out there all them weekdays? I bet you tell them you're going on lunch, but mean you're going to catch lunch to return 4 hours later. :biggrin: Or you tell then that you have some accounts to check up on in Anderson County :cool:[/QUOTE]

One of the beauties of being an outside sales rep who exceeds quota every month is that no one asks where I am. My cell works on the river, and if it is an emergency then I can respond. However, most days I am free to do what I wish.

Not sure why you guys feel the need to get away from the bait slingers...? I hear horror stories of what they've done, crossing lines, killing fish, trashing river etc etc.. I only fly fish for trout, however, I find that often the other fly fishermen, especially on the clinch, are rude, and childish. Just last week, I had an older fellow run from where he was fishing up to the next riffle where I was heading so he could fish it first. He was a fly fisherman. I had a guy chuck a weighted wooly bugger right next to me this spring, and I was standing in that pool for an hour before that guy got there.
As far as the keeping fish, well, they have the right. It states the limit clearly in the TWRA regs book, and is posted on signs along the stream. Its not unlawful, un ethical, or in any way wrong to keep your limit of trout.
All this talk about bait slingers, and fly fishermen looking down their nose at other people, is exactly why I fish with a select few people, and stay away from any and all fly fishing organizations. Our grandfathers fished these rivers with bait and kept creel fulls of fish, long before we started fly fishing here.

I agree with you on the bait slingers, they generally are far more courteous then other fly fisherman mainly because they never move their feet. Some Fly fisherman these days seem to be ultra competitive and hung up on having to fish a particular spot, and if someone beats them there then so be it, they come on in. However, generally a lot of fly fisherman are plenty courteous and give everyone a wide birth.

As far as keeping fish, I have no problem with the person who kills a few fish for supper. But having grown up with the very types of people who I do look down my nose at, I know they desire to only catch their limit, it has nothing to do with overall food value, rather bragging rights. It is a gluttonous game hog mentality that is rampant in East TN. Having seen bait slingers rip hooks from fish, only to release dead ones back into the river, cull fish both live and dead off of stringers sometimes just ripping them off which tears their mouths, and leaving an inordinate amount of waste in and around the river. I have a pretty low opinion of them as a whole.

After sitting through a few meetings where they espoused their opinions, it is easy to develop a bad outlook on them. Maybe it is just the vocal ones, but when they speak they seem to care little about the resource and only about filling the freezer.

One needs to only witness the nightmare which ensues at any boat ramp when fresh stockers have just been dumped in, tellico on a saturday, or Cherokee NC to understand and develop a long lasting impression.

So yes, if anyone is wondering or still confused, I have developed a low opinion of bait slingers over a lifetime of fishing for trout in this area. Now I am still friendly, and always say hello. However, inside there is no part of me which respects the way some of them go about a day on the river.

2weightfavorite
07-23-2010, 10:54 PM
There is one way to avoid the baiters, fish the park more!! Gret scenery, pretty fish, and very few baiters (I would say none, but we all know that theres always a few)..

Crockett
07-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Uhhh no 2weightfavorite I absolutely disagree. You, waterwolf and the others need to stay on the clinch and keep an eye on all those evil bait dunkers. Just kidding man seriously send me an email sometime adam.s.beal at gmail and we can go fish somewhere in the park if you want. I live in Maryville also.

Grannyknot
07-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I had a guy chuck a weighted wooly bugger right next to me this spring, and I was standing in that pool for an hour before that guy got there.

2weight, I remember this past winter, maybe late spring, fishing below the weir on a rainy day....I casted a bugger into a run and then questioned if I was too close to another guy that was at the top of the run. I also asked myself if I knew which way he was fishing the run, to which I didn't know. If that was you, I apologize, it has bothered me ever since....I caught good fish that day (always do in the rain), but didn't feel right about a questionable action.

yellowsulphur29
07-24-2010, 04:11 AM
I agree there are all types from bait slingers to fly chuckers, however conservation does tend to fall more on those fly fisherman and dinner on the bait anglers. I agree also about the inconsiderate anglers who just wait until the hatchery truck arrives and then fish out the hole at miller island right at the ramp within minutes of their departure. I have witnessed this too many times and have called the TWRA poaching hotline countless times to no avail.

However, I was not trying to start a war between the two, just wondering if maybe all the excess stockers are part of the problem with low results right now. Mind you I have been doing quite well on BHPT and small midges as usual, but never to the consistency as the spin fisherman. I assume it is the fact they use similar baits as the hatchery does for feeding so they are used to that rather than any naturals that fall in the river. I have outfished my fair share of bait anglers in the spring, fall, and winter I suppose when the stocking subsides, but the summer has always stumped me aside from the sulfur hatches. I still have disbelief in the slot affecting much since all these 10-12 inch stockers are constantly being harvested so what prevails is minimal. I have even been asked on all of my recent weekday trips that rather than put any fish back that I catch, if I wouldn't mind giving them to some of the bait anglers, to which I promptly refuse. I am a teacher so the luxury of the summers off certainly helps to get in the frequent flier mileage, but I have not been too productive this season and wonder if I am doing something wrong.

I agree that for the most part our sport does not allow many fly fishermen the chance to hit the rivers as often during the week. My employment has some perks in that regards, but lets face it, we have to work to pay for those helios, TCX, Winston Borons, etc... I have reels that are more than the whole outfit of some of the bait folks including all their lures. Wouldn't stretch to the point of saying that fly fisherman are probably not as prevalent during the week do to more employment, but you guys may be on to something based on the impression I get from some of those fellows. Glad my tax dollars can keep them fishing.

waterwolf
07-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Yellowsulphur, you are on to something, bait slingers primarily catch fresh stockers, and they have recently dumped a bunch in the river. The fish which are raised in the river from fingerling stocks or natural reproduction are much less susceptible to bait. The slot appears to be working and working well, there is just a lack of fish on the large side of the slot, plenty inside it, but very few which exceed it based on the year I have had.

Maurer
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I was wondering if people had noticed an increase in size, possibly due to the slot. I have not fished the river long enough to have anything years of knowlege as far as size. I was talking with Cal the other day and he says he has noticed some larger fish. (minus the recent stockers)

We talked about the slot a little more and mentioned the idea of how the slot could make the Clinch a bit more technical in years to come. Possibly more educated (I know fish aren't smart, but they definately adapt)

I grew up fish north arkansas tailwaters and the slot really helps there. I guess only time will really tell. I say let the bait guys have the stockers and I'll focus on them big fat holdovers!

Knothead
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
yellow sulphur29, you need to get a description of a vehicle and license number in order for the TWRA to do something effective. This way they can look for the vehicle during their rounds and check the folks in the area. When you call, the TWRA officer/officers might not be in the area or off duty or a number of other reasons why your call was not followed up. Most counties have only one or two officers which spreads them very thin.