PDA

View Full Version : soho or wataga two day float

white95v6
07-24-2010, 09:20 AM
ok lets say a man was gonna put in and float for 10-12 hrs and then take out or find a camp site. then put back in on the river and float for 8-10 hrs then take out and head home.

where would be some good spots and what river would be better to do this on.

DarrinG
07-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Neither.
Both rivers are flanked by so much private lands that there's nowhere to stop and get out for an overnight camp without having the Sheriff pay you an official visit.
The SoHo has a spot to camp but you'd need to pay and make plans with the landowner...but the SoHo is almost impossible to float on low water, so you'll need generation to float it without lots of dragging.
Just my observations.

kentuckytroutbum
07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Have you thought about the Holston below Cherokee Dam. The river is deep enough to float, and few places to wade.

Can't address the camping idea, don't think that there is any place to camp. Maybe someone else can jump in and recommend something.

Maurer
07-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't think it would work on the Soho. There are cabins on the Watauga at Meredith Valley Cabins www.meredithvalleycabins.com (http://www.meredithvalleycabins.com) you could float to your cabin then float the lower half the next day. Generation is going to be your biggest obstacle. Don't know what your floating in.

I've also heard there is an island you can camp on, on the Caney Fork. Not sure if it is private or public. It is just up from the Happy Hollow boat ramp. Anyone know of anything there?

Over night floats are the one thing I really miss about Missouri. There we had what's called Ozark National Secnic Riverways. Basically Rivers that were designated State Park land and you could camp anywhere on the river up to 100' from the high water mark. Longest we did back then was 3 nights 4 day float on New Years weekend.

white95v6
07-25-2010, 03:04 PM
we will be in a John boat. soo shallow water does not scare me. we can get by most anything if needed.

does anyone have contact info for the landowner on the SoHo?

have not fished any of the eastern tn Rivers. just wanting to make a trip east and give it a shot. soo maybe the holston. just been reading alot about the wataga and soho.

was thinking of finding a island but if they are private. it could be risky i guess. i know the islands on the caney are private.

thanks for the info on the cabins at meredith. i will check them out.

man i have fished the Caney alot. and camped on it a few times. i know the island you speak up just before you reach Happy hollow. but i have never stayed there. normally we camp on the island thats just below Kirby Rd. you have to go down the left side of the island and take out right at the end camp site is up the bank alittle.

Luke Warmwater
07-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,

The island up from Happy Hollow is private and it is posted. There is a place down river from the dam, that I beleive you can pay to camp. This place is right on the river and there are a couple good holes close.

Either way be careful and get permission before pitching a tent on the river.

David Perry
Southeastern Fly (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/www.southeasternfly.com)

Rainbow Warrior
07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I am no expert about the canny or anything, but I have camped a the campground below the dam a few times. It is not far from a boat launch. As david said. There are some good holes there. I hooked a 18-20" rainbow in a run there on a zebra midge. It eventually broke me off because I had to horse in on 6x Tippett away from a guy who wasn't willing to move from his fishing spot :mad: It is a nice campground with water and electricity. The bathrooms and showers are fairly clean. I will be up there in September with my Cohutta TU group.

white95v6
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
ok so no landowner info?

and no suggestions on where to put in and take out for a 10hr float?

Rainbow Warrior
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
there are a few acceses on the caney. You could launch from the dam to happy hollow, or happy hollow to betty's island. I am not sure if it would be a 10 hour float from happy to betty's, but you could make a long day from the dam to happy if you fish it hard.

white95v6
07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
there are a few acceses on the caney. You could launch from the dam to happy hollow, or happy hollow to betty's island. I am not sure if it would be a 10 hour float from happy to betty's, but you could make a long day from the dam to happy if you fish it hard.

i have fished the caney like 100 million times. lol. i know the time it takes to float that wonderful river.