PDA

View Full Version : Marabou leech?

Rainbow Warrior
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
I was surfing the web and wad looking for a streamer I could tie with the materials I have. I found I could tie a marabou leech. I tied a few up and they turned up great! The only problem I have is that I have never fished a leech pattern before and don't know how to retrieve it. I have fished a few sculpin and baitfish patterns and have had luck with some nice fish. Would I retrieve it like one of those? Do they need to stay near the bottom? Thanks for input.

kentuckytroutbum
07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
RW_

To me, a maribou leech and a wooley bugger with body hackle are very similar patterns, and I fish them the same.

After casting, I use a series of short strips, wait a few seconds, and then repeat. Also, I've had success with just twitching the rod to indicate some movement. It depends upon the type of water that I'm fishing at the time. If the water is fairly swift, I'll use some weight or use a bead head WB to get near the bottom.

Sometimes, I'll try a continuous upstream retrieve, and I've had some 'bows just nail it hard. I assume that the bugger going past their nose intices them to strike.

Bill

DavidR
07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Don't forget dead drifting them either you will be surprised at the force of the hits you can get.