PDA

View Full Version : I caught a football

Worrgamesguy
07-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Fished the Stones River next to my girlfriend's apartment for the first time today. It's the one that runs under Church St. in Murfreesboro. I'd driven over it dozens of times, but now that her apartment is less than 100 yards from the river, I knew I had to fish it.

Since I broke my TFO 5 WT, I bought and used a $40 Cortland rod. It wasn't bad, just a different feel to it. I tied on a small white popper and it started to drizzle. There wasn't much casting room so I did a side to side cast, and dropped it along the banks. I wasn't getting as much as a rise when this baby slammed it in the shallows. I thought it was a turtle when I looked at the splash, put up a decent fight too.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/Worrgamesguy/IMG00250.jpg

I think it's a crappie? My panfish identification is lacking. But it was FAT. I couldn't pick it up without getting spiked because it was too wide to flatten all of them. What a thrill :cool:

Caught a ton of other fish, none nearly as big as this one though. Not bad for a first fish, and first time fishing the river.

silvercreek
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Looks from the red outline on the little black flap on the gill plate that it is a red ear sun fish. I got spiked on the little finger a couple of weeks ago by a fatty that flopped just as I was folding the fins back to remove the hook. Bled like a stuck hog. Healed up amazingly quick though. Silvercreek

ifish4wildtrout
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Nice, man. Looks like a big blue gill or some type of sunfish, not a crappie.

silvercreek
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Trey, this will help you ID your fish in the future.
http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/TWRAFishPhotoGallery.htm

Worrgamesguy
07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I knew crappie were darker, but this dude was much darker than any of the others I caught.

jeffnles1
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Trey,
Nice fish. I think it's probably a read ear sunfish but a really fat one.

Crappie are more "silver".
Here's a crappie I caught earlier this spring.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/fishing/P4230109.jpg

Jeff

5wt
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
That would be called a shellcracker or chinquapin. Also refered to as some good skillet fry. They are usually chunky.

Worrgamesguy
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I've only seen really dark crappie. That link silvercreek gave helped a lot.

millerdvr
07-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Do you ever fish beneath Nice Mill dam? they stock it regurlarly with bows and are real easy to catch on a black hares ear. Most are in the 10-12 inch range. I have thought about fishing the stones near where you are but never got to it, we used to ride bikes on the trail that follows the river and have cast my spinning rod out a couple times with no luck other that a broken rod.

Worrgamesguy
07-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Nice Mill is a dump. There's crap all over the place, and it's always filled with Hispanics throwing cast nets. I go plink around with a popper occasionally, but those Mexicans are rude, they see me catch fish and throw the cast net right where I've been casting, like the fish are all lined up waiting for my popper.

And when they stock in the winter, it's combat fishing, and hardly worth it. I'd rather go have a stretch of the Caney Fork to myself than a couple feet at Nice Mill just to save the gas.

jeffnles1
07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice Mill is a dump. There's crap all over the place, and it's always filled with Hispanics throwing cast nets. I go plink around with a popper occasionally, but those Mexicans are rude, they see me catch fish and throw the cast net right where I've been casting, like the fish are all lined up waiting for my popper.

And when they stock in the winter, it's combat fishing, and hardly worth it. I'd rather go have a stretch of the Caney Fork to myself than a couple feet at Nice Mill just to save the gas.

As long as the Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement guys allow poaching to continue, unfortunately, poaching will continue. :frown:

I've seen it happen locally. However with this area, it's not Hispanics or any ethnic group, it's the local residents poaching stocked trout in a tail water.

At a lake I frequently fish, a game warden's truck pulled in and about half of the people fishing there were slinking back to their cars hiding their fishing gear. Unfortunately, the guy never got out of his truck.

People break the law because law enforcement will not or does not have the manpower to enforce the laws.

Ouch, rant over, this is one of my really hot buttons. sorry. time to go drink a cup of decaf coffee and relax.

Jeff

Hoosier
07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Definetely a Red Ear. Catch them a lot in my pond and they put up a better fight than the blue gills and largemouths we have. The crappie, when it is cooler give em a run for their money, but those red ears make a fly rod fun.