PDA

View Full Version : Caney wading

one more cast
07-28-2010, 06:56 AM
I've never fished Tennessee tailwater, thinking about trying next week. Is the current generation schedule (250cfs) on the Caney good for wading?

Would the Clinch be better next week for wading?

Thanks in advance.

silvercreek
07-28-2010, 07:55 AM
250cfs is fine for wading on the Caney.

white95v6
07-28-2010, 08:44 AM
I've never fished Tennessee tailwater, thinking about trying next week. Is the current generation schedule (250cfs) on the Caney good for wading?

Would the Clinch be better next week for wading?

Thanks in advance.

oh yea 250cfs is NOTHING on the caney. you would not even know the Sluice os doing anything.

but from curretn reports you wolud be better off at the Clinch. many ppl have said the caney is not fishing well.

one more cast
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks silver & white for the info. I have read the board reports indicating the Clinch is fishing better now. I may try the Caney anyway, since I think I'll get another chance to fish the Clinch later this year.

I see there is a COE campground below Center Hill Dam (Long Branch). We have a camper and are thinking of staying there next Mon-Thurs. Any thoughts on whether crowds or construction activity at the dam will interfere with my fishing at/near the dam? Any info would be helpful.

Actually, I remember that I have fished a Tennessee tailwater (Hiwassee) several years ago. It was good.

Thanks

BlueRaiderFan
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
There are some low power lines going into the campground, but I don't think it will inhibit a camper. You may want to call ahead and ask first. If you've never been to the area and you want to take the wife to some place "nice" (relatively speaking), go across the dam and keep trucking for a mile or two and centerhill marina will be on your left. Park in the upper lot (lower lot is pay) and walk down the stairs to the restaurant. I forget the name, but it floats on the water and is really nice at sunset/night. The gas station at the stop sign, just before you go up the hill to get to the dam, has pretty good bbq sandwhiches and they have an outfitter on the right as you go up the hill to the dam that usually has the basics.

Worrgamesguy
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
oh yea 250cfs is NOTHING on the caney. you would not even know the Sluice os doing anything.

but from curretn reports you wolud be better off at the Clinch. many ppl have said the caney is not fishing well.

That's not true at all, the Caney is fishing just fine. It's not fishing like it was a year ago, but it's still one of the best fisheries TN has to offer. I went a week or two ago and absolutely slayed them.

Wilson10
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
That's not true at all, the Caney is fishing just fine. It's not fishing like it was a year ago, but it's still one of the best fisheries TN has to offer. I went a week or two ago and absolutely slayed them.

Trey,
I was thinkin about heading up on the caney within the next few weeks. I'm assuming you all have been catching mostly fresh stockers? Many hold over fish left?

Thanks

Worrgamesguy
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Trey,
I was thinkin about heading up on the caney within the next few weeks. I'm assuming you all have been catching mostly fresh stockers? Many hold over fish left?

Thanks

Not at all. Most fish I caught were 12-16" rainbows, none with signs of being recently stocked. Some of the browns I caught had nubs from rubbing against the concrete barriers at the hatchery, but very few of the fish I caught were stocked this year, at least.

David Knapp
07-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Not at all. Most fish I caught were 12-16" rainbows, none with signs of being recently stocked. Some of the browns I caught had nubs from rubbing against the concrete barriers at the hatchery, but very few of the fish I caught were stocked this year, at least.

Man, we must not be fishing the same spots. :biggrin: Give me a holler next time you are going so you can show me where you're catching these...:cool:

JoelO
07-29-2010, 07:50 PM
The Long Branch campground is right next to the dam. It has concrete pads (pretty close together), hookups and (I think) rest rooms and shower facillities. It looks to be pretty well kept but aestically, its not as pleasing as going into the Edgar Evans State Park campground where you are surrounded by trees and views of Center Hill lake. You are about 3 miles (guessing) from the camping spots in Edgar Evans to the closest wade access on the Caney...which is right below the dam on the opposite side of the river from the Long Branch campground. The entrance to Edgar Evans is right across the street from the gas station BRF mentioned ... their beef brisket sandwich is mmm mmm good.

one more cast
07-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. We are deciding whether to come now, or wait a few weeks for the heat to break a little. I'm ready now, but it is hot.

JoelO, from your post I gather that there is not good wading access directly from the Long Branch campground; and that wading access near the dam is best on the other side of the river?

BlueRaiderFan
07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes, go around to the parking lot on the other side of the river (the entrance is on your right just after the outfitters). Park and walk toward the bathroom. The dam will be on your left and the bathroom will be on your right. There is a paved walking path just to the left of the bathroom (not the road going down the hill to the dam). Walk down this path until it ends in a set of wooden steps known as "the steps" (Sounds right). Wade down into the water and start fishing. You can go to the right and walk back up out of the water after all of the fallen trees (fish the trees as you go). Once up the bank (I use the ditch to get up and down the bank), you can walk down 100 yards and fish the far bank, or go even further and fish the cliffs on your side of the river. Lot's of fish hang out at the edge of this bank, so drop a fly in the waters edge before you go back in (just in case). Have fun. (If you don't get out of the water where I stated to get to the area that I mentioned, you will find yourself in a whole about 6ft deep, maybe a bit more most days...I'm 5'9" at best).

BlueRaiderFan
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Here, I made you this fancy map:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/Caney.jpgI outta charge folks for this.

fishingman62
07-30-2010, 12:58 AM
thats some fancy map blueraider i bet you could get at least $5 a pop for them lol
dan

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Nah, for $5 I would have to lamenate them. I think my favorite part is the bait caster warning.:biggrin:

one more cast
07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks BRF. I like the map, you can't get a map like that just anywhere!

We have decided to wait two weeks. I am still unsure of whether we will go to the Caney or the Clinch, but we will go. I would like a shot at some larger fish.

I will post before we go and give a vehicle and fishing hat description so I can be spotted on the river. It's always good to meet other folks from the LRO forum.

silvercreek
07-30-2010, 08:55 AM
BRF, Whatcha trying to do? Run JoeFred out of business?

white95v6
07-30-2010, 09:03 AM

i will say i have not been to the caney since feb 28th. but i have had three other friends all good fishermen go and all said it was bad. and from 90% of the reports on here its been bad too.

kentuckytroutbum
07-30-2010, 09:12 AM

No, don't think BRF is trying to upsurp Joe Fred and his maps. Joe Fred has mapped out the streams, rivers, topgraphy, etc. Joe has not given away any of his "honey holes." I think both maps complement each other, IMHO ;)

JoelO
07-30-2010, 09:59 AM
"JoelO, from your post I gather that there is not good wading access directly from the Long Branch campground; and that wading access near the dam is best on the other side of the river?"

Correct. You're right next to the river at Long Branch but its deeper on that side so not much of a wading opportunity. The people fishing from that side are slinging worms, etc... from the bank.

BRF's map is accurate although I would suggest the Happy Hollow access over Lancaster as an alternative spot only because its easier to find. You kind of need to know where to stop/park to fish Lancaster since there's not an "improved" parking area in that location. The Lancaster location is closer to the campground though.

The Corps has a map, although its not as interesting as BRF's.

http://www.orn.usace.army.mil/op/cen/rec/maps/Caney_Fork.pdf

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Yes, in addition to my blog that brings in an amazing $50 a year, I will be providing custom maps to those that have pockets deep enough to fork over $3 (in ones please...I have my reasons).

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2010, 10:26 AM
"JoelO, from your post I gather that there is not good wading access directly from the Long Branch campground; and that wading access near the dam is best on the other side of the river?"

Correct. You're right next to the river at Long Branch but its deeper on that side so not much of a wading opportunity. The people fishing from that side are slinging worms, etc... from the bank.

BRF's map is accurate although I would suggest the Happy Hollow access over Lancaster as an alternative spot only because its easier to find. You kind of need to know where to stop/park to fish Lancaster since there's not an "improved" parking area in that location. The Lancaster location is closer to the campground though.

The Corps has a map, although its not as interesting as BRF's.

http://www.orn.usace.army.mil/op/cen/rec/maps/Caney_Fork.pdf

I disagree. Parking in Lancaster is easy. All you have to do is find a guy parked on the side of the road. Pull in behind him until your bumpers touch (or back in if you want to get creative). Climb/walk down the bank and start fishin'. Simple.

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
i will say i have not been to the caney since feb 28th. but i have had three other friends all good fishermen go and all said it was bad. and from 90% of the reports on here its been bad too.

I've actually seen a lot of fish at one hole in Lancaster. Just not a lot caught on the fly amongst us waders. I did see guys catching them though, including my good friend BigPopper. A guy that can get a good drift and mend with the correct fly can catch fish. Now, when I went a few months ago, no one was catching any and that includes bait casters and I didn't see any either. No fish cruising, holding, rising, nada. I think there are less and bigger fish at this point and it looks like the river will eventually come back and is doing fine right now, for the most part. However, there are some very rude people on the Caney, it's not really worth the effort and other tailwaters are much better. I would suggest most everyone stay away from the Caney for at least 5 years and give it a chance to fully recover.

Streamhound
07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I think I saw that drawing tattooed on a young woman the other day...:biggrin: