PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Floats

DannyV
07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I am picking up a Kayak next week so that I can fish the tailwaters no matter what the generation schedules look like. Any ones else on here float fish the tailwaters with a yak? I would always be down for company (plus then I wont have to run a bicycle shuttle). I will post a report and pics from my first outing.

danielvuono@gmail.com

Worrgamesguy
07-30-2010, 04:16 PM
I would highly advise against floating while generating. I own 2 kayaks and use them frequently, and it's sketchy enough without the flow of generation. Trying to keep the kayak pointed downriver, trying to avoid making noise, casting and keeping an eye for objects in the river... it gets pretty hairy.

DannyV
07-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up. It's going to be a new experience for sure. If the water is moving too fast, I can always opt for a nice float and keep the rod packed away. I also intend to stop frequently and wade (off generation of course) so I am pretty excited about the kayak as a way to see MUCH more water. What kayaks do you have?

JoelO
07-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree with Trey regarding trying to float fish during generation...there's alot more work involved in trying to stay safe. If I'm on the water during generation its usually because I'm paddling upstream to get to a place I want to be when the water starts to drop out. I got a Native Ultimate a little over a year ago...use it mainly on the Caney Fork and sometimes on the Harpeth.

Worrgamesguy
07-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. It's going to be a new experience for sure. If the water is moving too fast, I can always opt for a nice float and keep the rod packed away. I also intend to stop frequently and wade (off generation of course) so I am pretty excited about the kayak as a way to see MUCH more water. What kayaks do you have?

Oh there's no doubt you can enjoy the float, but fishing would be quite tedious. I fish the Caney, and only the Caney, so I know where all the spots are and love to paddle through dead water :smile: Quite the workout, too.

I got a kayak for Christmas 2 years ago, that my dad and I got up at 4:00 to go purchase. Dick's Sporting Goods took $100 off a $300 kayak for Black Friday, so they bought me one, and I purchased a second that way a friend and I could go float. I think they're called Potomac? Either way, it's a red sit in kayak, and it does its job.

I wanted a kayak after I rented one from one of the places at Center Hill, and it was a sit on, and I got FRIED. And since you sit higher, with nothing surrounding you, it's really wobbly. The downside of the sit in is limited movement, sit lower, but there is significantly less sunburn. But the mobility of kayaks is wonderful.

In hindsight, I wish I'd bought a small canoe or personal pontoon boat, because you sit so close to the water in a kayak. Kayaks (at least mine) can't track straight whatsoever, you're constantly making small adjustments to keep the boat downriver.

duckypaddler
07-31-2010, 01:20 AM
In hindsight, I wish I'd bought a small canoe or personal pontoon boat, because you sit so close to the water in a kayak. Kayaks (at least mine) can't track straight whatsoever, you're constantly making small adjustments to keep the boat downriver.

As a tip you may want to try to focus on the horizon and not just directly in front of you as you may notice you start to paddle straighter. I have taken many friends on the lake in whitewater boats (REALLY don't track on flatwater) and it's always funny how they paddle in circles at first. After a while, if you relax, you will get the hang of it. It like trying to hold you hand still. If you think about it you will start to shake. You may also want to make sure you are holding your paddle evenly and that you are sitting evenly.

I made an anchor by filling a 2 liter bottle with cement. Just find a good spot and youu hold in place allowing you to concentrate on the fishing:smile:

As for canoe's they work great (especially with a trolling motor), but sit high in the water like a sit on top.

Wish I had more time to fish:frown:. I would love to kayak fish with or without generation sometime:biggrin:

As for fishing with generation it can be fun, but would be best after you had some decent skills and have mastered your craft. The eddies are tricky (for Class 1) and you are moving pretty fast to fish.

DannyV
07-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks again for all the info guys! I am still going to get the kayak. Pungo 100 with lots of extras (a small boat that tracks well). I am really excited just to get on the water. Weekends will allow me to float without generation but unfortunately I work every weekday. bummer. Paddling on the weekday would be great exercise, and prettier than sitting in my small apartment! Like I said earlier, If anyone wants to float and or fish ever, hit up my email. I'm off to the park now.

gutshot
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Make an anchor as has been suggested. Also don't be afraid to stand up in the thing on sunny days and scout for fish. Then run back upriver and fish for them. You can do this all day on big fish and score.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11009&highlight=gutshot

old east tn boy
08-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Be really careful with an anchor in fast water. I have a NativeCraft Tegris Ultimate 12 footer, W hull kayak/canoe hybrid sit in that is extremely light weight, I use on the Clinch. Had to cut an anchor rope once to keep from capsizing. As for floating and fishing fast water, it can be done but as others have said it is pretty tricky.

Paddlefish
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
freedom hawk makes a stand up fishing kayak with pontoons that deploy and retract. comes with a casting brace