PDA

View Full Version : TVA and Norris Gen

Rodonthefly
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a question, can norris redulate how much water they pull out their generators? The reason I ask this, is... When they turn two on it looks like its around 6000 cfs, but at some point in the day I see over 9000 cfs. What's the deal with this and how come it changes like that?

Rod

psnapp
08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Rod -- 6000 is an avg cfs release over a 24 hr period. The 9000 measure is an instantaneous reading, ie the exact release for a particular hour. I talked with an engineer @ TVA's Res Ops yesterday. They have started the drawdown to reach planned winter levels. TVA person said that they will be averaging about 6000 cfs each day during the week until Labor Day.

He said that they will continue the weekend rec schedule they have been running for several weekends now.

Kinda puts a damper on my routine of fishing around the farm from 8 am till 2 pm during the week. May have to start making the 4 hr round-trip trek to the SoHo during the week.

Trip
08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
There is a lot they can do to change flow and how they generate. I don't know if Norris has been HMODed or not, but that allows them to do even more. I will have to check it out next time I talk with a coworker in River Ops.

ttas67
08-03-2010, 07:48 PM
not sure about norris, but I've seen highly varied flows coming out of melton hill when one generator is running.

Grannyknot
08-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a question, can norris redulate how much water they pull out their generators? The reason I ask this, is... When they turn two on it looks like its around 6000 cfs, but at some point in the day I see over 9000 cfs. What's the deal with this and how come it changes like that?

Rod

Rod, I talked to a TVA engineer yesterday who said that the simple answer to your question is that they have been doing a lot of efficiency testing on the turbines lately. Apparently there is a certain amount of water hitting the turbines that triggers the most efficient energy production, hence the varied flows at a stated 2 gen release.

MadisonBoats
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Also, they are focusing on high-energy usage needs; since it cannot be stored.

Rodonthefly
08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Now I know and knowing is half the battle GI Joe!
Thanks guys

waterwolf
08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes they can regulate the amount of water which is pulled/discharged by each unit. I think it is called portducts, what they use to determine the amount of flow. I think, but could be wrong on the portduct thing.

TVA has several requirements going this month. One is they have to maintain a certain CFS at Chickamauga continuously, I forget but think it is either 25,000 CFS or 30,000 cfs, from Aug 1- Sept 1. Number two is they are starting the initial drawdown for winter pool. Number three is power demands spike during August, they almost had brown outs last week in Chattanooga.

The biggest reason for the increased flow from what I have been told is the downstream water needed. Then comes power, and lastly drawdown.

MadisonBoats
08-09-2010, 02:03 PM
The biggest reason for the increased flow from what I have been told is the downstream water needed. Then comes power, and lastly drawdown.

This is a great summation of the current situation; but, their priority order can change at any time.:eek: