PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Report: 7/25/10-7/31/10

MadisonBoats
08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Fished the Clinch pretty heavily from Sunday to this past Saturday with wonderful results. Well, I did not catch anything Saturday; I just shivered under a tree for 5 hrs waiting for a break in the rain. My Romanian friend Mihai was in town for the week and we hit it hard each day (6-8 hours). Between the two of us; we pulled in about 250-300 fish for this time frame. Oddly though; the largest fish were a couple of 17-18" fish. Most were in the range of 10-14" with a few stock size around the church and up by the dam.

-Gold Bead Midges/Black Thread - Silver or Gold Zebra Stripe (very consistent and produced the larger fish)
-Quasimodos (these were hot most of the time)
-Foam Back Emergers for the (smaller rising fish)

*Several of the fish were full of blood worms; but, were not taking my patterns.

waterwolf
08-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I have noticed the same thing over this summer. After who knows how many fish I have either caught or seen caught only one has surpassed 17" and that was an 18" rainbow. I have also only hooked or seen hooked one fish which appeared to be what I would consider big. Mike has stated the same, there are tons of good quailty fish up to 16/17 but seemingly none or very very very few which surpass 17".

I know people who swear they catch numerous 18"+ fish every trip this year, but think they are over estimating slightly.

I am sure they are there, but if they were there in any numbers they would turn up several times an outing.

I have not seen any bloodworms in the pump samples I have taken, which are very few, but have seen tons of blackfly larvae and still good numbers of sulphur nymphs even this late.

MadisonBoats
08-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I have noticed the same thing over this summer. After who knows how many fish I have either caught or seen caught only one has surpassed 17" and that was an 18" rainbow. I have also only hooked or seen hooked one fish which appeared to be what I would consider big. Mike has stated the same, there are tons of good quailty fish up to 16/17 but seemingly none or very very very few which surpass 17".

I have spotted a few fish I suspect to be in the lower-mid 20" range. They seem to be more finicky with their diet than the smaller trout. I know of few guys on here that are catching them and are sending me the pics. I would expect to increase the odds of catching them with a streamer selection and with at-least 1 generator flowing. I rarely get a chance to do that approach. We were just taking advantage of the low water and targeting the fish. My friend does not enjoy 'blind-fishing' as he calls it. He is a rising-fish pool hog:eek:

We were also doing well with a Lightning Bug Stocker Fly:
http://www.umpqua.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/500.jpg

psnapp
08-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Shawn -- that was a great week of fishing for you and your friend, and thanks for the info on patterns.

I have been pumping some stomachs lately, and I'm mostly finding olive midge pupa and blackfly larvae. Also finding a lot of midge larvae -- almost a transparent body with a hint of brown across the back. I have pumped very few sulphur nymphs lately.

waterwolf
08-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I have spotted a few fish I suspect to be in the lower-mid 20" range. They seem to be more finicky with their diet than the smaller trout. I know of few guys on here that are catching them and are sending me the pics. I would expect to increase the odds of catching them with a streamer selection and with at-least 1 generator flowing. I rarely get a chance to do that approach. We were just taking advantage of the low water and targeting the fish. My friend does not enjoy 'blind-fishing' as he calls it. He is a rising-fish pool hog:eek:

We were also doing well with a Lightning Bug Stocker Fly:
http://www.umpqua.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/500.jpg
I used to be a big time streamer guy, but not anymore. Far too much effort for a trout. I have seen some really nice fish 22"+ each time I have floated, and usually in the past can pick up a 20"ish fish almost every trip and sometimes multiple on the same trip. I know there a few in the river, just not nearly the numbers which have been present in years past from what I have not only not caught, but also the lack of them that I see while floating with the water off.

Shawn -- that was a great week of fishing for you and your friend, and thanks for the info on patterns.

I have been pumping some stomachs lately, and I'm mostly finding olive midge pupa and blackfly larvae. Also finding a lot of midge larvae -- almost a transparent body with a hint of brown across the back. I have pumped very few sulphur nymphs lately.
There was a monster sulphur hatch on Sunday down low, and the fish were really on them. This is getting pretty late for the sulphurs to still be hatching, but it does happen from time to time.

I wonder if the translucent pupae you are finding, are midge shucks which the fish have picked up?

psnapp
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Could be midge shucks ... sometimes hard to distinguish just what insects are all mixed in the goo, especially with senior vision.

I have seen quite a few 20"+ fish drifting this year but haven't been able to get any to hand. We cast to a big fellow for at least 15 min last Friday morn, but he was having nothing to do with our imitations. I think there are still quite a few there, but they are well educated.

waterwolf
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Could be midge shucks ... sometimes hard to distinguish just what insects are all mixed in the goo, especially with senior vision.

I have seen quite a few 20"+ fish drifting this year but haven't been able to get any to hand. We cast to a big fellow for at least 15 min last Friday morn, but he was having nothing to do with our imitations. I think there are still quite a few there, but they are well educated.
They are far more elusive then ever. I have not seen but a handful while floating, and it is difficult at times to judge when floating over just how big a fish is. I am awful about undersizing fish as well, I caught a substantial fish on the Holston earlier this summer which I called 21" before the tape laid measured it out just shy of 24". I would consider that a gross mistake.

On the midge shucks, I wonder if the midges which are consumed as they are emerging, which is very common and the reason for much of the rising now, don't hatch inside the fish, and thus the reason for the shucks being present. Who knows, I guess.

Rockyraccoon
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
I've noticed a lot of the same results on my few trips there this year. I have seen some really nice 18" - low 20's, maybe a few larger, but the other fish in the population are definitely getting my patterns before the best of the bunches. Much similar results for daily bests.

Last week, on my one guilty day of personal stick time this YEAR, when my truck was assaulted, I pulled streamers all day during my fishing time. I moved several really nice fish. Only one ate and I missed him. I did get a nice 16" brookie. But, in years past, whether catching or not, a day of real work streamer fishing, would show some of the Clinch's finest all day long.

Sigh, I need to fish more.

Take me fishing Jim! I'll split oar time.....I promise.

MadisonBoats
08-05-2010, 12:46 AM
OH, The big ones are still out there. They are just not keen for the fly fishing setup. Here is a picture that a friend stopped by and showed me today of a brown he caught last week on the Clinch. He said it weighed in at 16lbs.:eek:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=517

waterwolf
08-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I've noticed a lot of the same results on my few trips there this year. I have seen some really nice 18" - low 20's, maybe a few larger, but the other fish in the population are definitely getting my patterns before the best of the bunches. Much similar results for daily bests.

Last week, on my one guilty day of personal stick time this YEAR, when my truck was assaulted, I pulled streamers all day during my fishing time. I moved several really nice fish. Only one ate and I missed him. I did get a nice 16" brookie. But, in years past, whether catching or not, a day of real work streamer fishing, would show some of the Clinch's finest all day long.

Sigh, I need to fish more.

Take me fishing Jim! I'll split oar time.....I promise.
Anytime you want to go let me know. I can be ready on short notice.

Rodonthefly
08-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Shawn I've seen the same pic, and could prob guess who showed you that. Did you happen to hear what it was caught on? Shame **** shame!

MadisonBoats
08-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Shawn I've seen the same pic, and could prob guess who showed you that. Did you happen to hear what it was caught on? Shame **** shame!

Yeah, that was from a family friend. It has been many years since I used the set-up they were using. Very effective down below the 61 bridge. Not really my style of fishing; but, It sure pulled a big cannibalistic brown.;)

Grannyknot
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
When I saw the picture, I just assumed it was caught by one of the jet boat guys who like to troll with live Rainbows...mainly for stripers.

Wilson10
08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I believe their rig consisted of dead trout. That one was caught behind the jail.

A couple more "smaller" fish have also been caught with similar rigs on the banks near PO.

Fishing that style for trout goes against everything I am. Its just not my cup of tea.

Rodonthefly
08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Fishing that style for trout goes against everything I am. Its just not my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

There ya go, glad to hear ya say that, your still welcome to fish out of my boat anytime. hahaha