PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Photos

TFnut
08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Hello everyone,

Although I read this forum often, because it is a wealth of wonderful information; I don't post that often. I've just managed to develop my own website, and since I love the Smokys, I've accumulated quite a few photos over the past couple of years.

I've posted them on the website and would love some feedback from everyone. I'm an engineer by trade, but photography (and fly fishing) is a great escape for me. There are no fish photos, but there are a couple of Roaring Fork that turned out nice. Let me know what you think!

Here is the link:

www.ksbphotography.net

ChemEAngler
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Nice work Kevin, and good to have you aboard.

nvr2L8
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Nicely done, Kevin. Number 9 in the GSM group has to be my favorite.

TFnut
08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words! Travis - I guess my name should be CivEAngler, but I wasn't that creative when I signed on! I saw the Sweden and Denmark photos on Zenfolio, great work! I had the chance to go to France and Switzerland last year and I'll post some of those pictures soon.

Charlie - glad you liked the shot of the spring. I shot that just off of Hwy. 441 while fishing one morning last summer. You can probably tell that is a HDR photo.

Plunker
08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for sharing the fantastic photography

Streamhound
08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
great work

TFnut
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks again guys! I just uploaded from photos from the French Alps if you are interested.

JoeFred
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words! Travis - I guess my name should be CivEAngler, but I wasn't that creative when I signed on! I saw the Sweden and Denmark photos on Zenfolio, great work! I had the chance to go to France and Switzerland last year and I'll post some of those pictures soon.

Charlie - glad you liked the shot of the spring. I shot that just off of Hwy. 441 while fishing one morning last summer. You can probably tell that is a HDR photo.

Hmmm. I wonder if MechEAngler has been taken.:smile:

Kevin, both you and Travis do great work! Conjures up memories of the Tennessee Eastman (Kodak) Camera Club "back in the day." I still have trays of 35 mm Kodachrome slides of the Smokies I want to process to digital... once I hang up the ol' fishing pole.

JF

silvercreek
08-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry to take this post off track, but Joe Fred you bring up a topic of interest to me. I did a lot of fishing in my younger years in the mountains and out west. In that predigital age my budies and I took most of our photos in slide form. I had put a number of those on my old pc using a scanner, but lost most of them when the pc crashed. What would be the best way to convert them to a digital format so I can burn a cd? Does someone do this commercially? Thanks, Silvercreek

TFnut
08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks JoeFred, your maps are awesome by the way. Silvercreek - no apology necessary, this is a photography/fishing forum after all. I have absolutely zero experience with the slide conversion; I have scanned many film photos but never slides. You may have already done this, but a quick Google search turned up this site that compares a lot of methods:

http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/slide-transfer.html

I'm sure there are some other folks here that have done this before and they may have some other ideas.

silvercreek
08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the site info. Looks like the best bet for price would be to build a small box to hold the camera at one end and the slide at the other, use natural light through the slide end and shoot a pic of it with the macro of the camera. Maybe a good winter project. Plan b would be to find a commercial place converts slides. thanks again. Silvercreek

JoeFred
08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
... photos in slide form....What would be the best way to convert them to a digital format so I can burn a cd? Does someone do this commercially? Thanks, Silvercreek

TFnut, the side-by-side methods comparison was very informative. Thanks. I once bought a Microtek flat bed that came with a separate slide/negative scanning thingy. Never got the desired results, especially on closeups.

silvercreek, a quick Google turned up Larsen Digital Services who has an impressive client list (http://www.slidescanning.com/clients.htm). Their value comparison page lists others in the trade (http://slidescanning.com/Value_Comparison.html). Downside, Larsen is located in Utah. I'd personally feel better hand carrying my slides to somewhere. Hmmm... having said that, I've yet to fish in the Beehive State.:smile:
JF

silvercreek
08-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes, it would be bad to lose the slides. When they are gone they are gone. Maybe plan c is to have them converted to prints locally and then scan the prints.. My earlier attempt to scan the slides with the scanner attachment yielded mix results, whereas scanning prints generally came out pretty good. Silvercreek

JoeFred
08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I like plan c. I'll give it a try soon.

JF

silvercreek
08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
You would pretty have the various media types covered. I played around a little today with taking a digital pic of a slide. Learned a few things about diffused lighting. I learned a lesson about keeping photos on my pc. When It crashed I lost a lot of photos, fortunately I still have most of them on slides, but not some of my old Lab Zeke which were digital. If they are anything special, I burn them to a CD now.

TFnut
08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Silvercreek,

You may want to check out a free application called Dropbox as a way to securely store your photos. It is really designed to allow access to your files across multiple computers, but it works great as a back up as well. You get 2GB for free and you can buy more space if you want. I use it for work and find it to be flawless. There is a video at this link:

www.dropbox.com

silvercreek
08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Slide to digital photo. Taken with OptioW80
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/silvercreek_01/WyomingPass001.jpg

JoeFred
08-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice work, silvercreek.

My brother-in-law, who worked in photo finishing for years, recommends Dury's in Nashville (http://www.durys.com)for processing slides to digital. It's next day service at about a buck eighty a pop. I plan to give them a try next month while down that way.

JF

silvercreek
08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Post a couple when you can. They are local for me, but the price is more than I would have expected. Thanks for the info. Silvercreek

JoeFred
07-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Here's what appears to be a lower cost processor http://www.gophoto.com/slide-scanning-service/?ref=fbphtgc

I will check for fine print after church.

Blessings...

silvercreek
07-10-2011, 10:12 AM
That's a good price. Didn't see any fine print that jumped out a me. Have to add in shipping cost to and back from San Francisco. Thanks for the link. Silvercreek.