PDA

View Full Version : Clinch First

pineman19
08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Just got back home from fishing Miller's Island this morning before the generators started humming! Caught a few, was kinda slow and they seemed pretty picky today. Anyway, as I was just pulling away while talking to nice fella who was spin fishing below me, TWRA pulled up and ask if I had any fish. I told him I didn't have any fish, had released the ones I had caught and that I would be glad to dig my license out if he wanted to see it. He was nice, ask me if I was flyfishing looked in the bed of my truck, didn't see anything but my wading boots and they moved onto the spin fisherman.

It was nice to see them out checking the Clinch today, first time I've seen them around there or the Holston for that matter during the last 3 yrs.

Saw a couple sulphers as the water was rising, less than I have seen the last two times I have been on the Clinch.

Neal

ChemEAngler
08-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Good to hear.

I witnessed a couple guys who were just hammering them yesterday, and absolutely everything that they caught went onto the stringer. When one of them hoisted his out of the water to add another fish to it, I saw how many fish were on it. It was easily 7 fish, and not only that but I saw probably 3 that were pushing 17". These guys did not measure anything, and just continued to put everything on the stringer even after having what appeared to be a limit. I called the poacher hotline to see if there was an officer in the area, and that he may want to head to this particular area and check some creels. The operator said he would forward it to the local officers voicemail and let him decide if it was worth pursuing.

I have no problems with people keeping fish, as long as they are following the regulations.

GrouseMan77
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I have no problems with people keeping fish, as long as they are following the regulations.

I agree 100%.

Nice to hear that TWRA is showing up. I think if they hammer the river for a while the majority of the rule breakers would catch on. Well, maybe.

Rodonthefly
08-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Good to hear.

I witnessed a couple guys who were just hammering them yesterday, and absolutely everything that they caught went onto the stringer. When one of them hoisted his out of the water to add another fish to it, I saw how many fish were on it. It was easily 7 fish, and not only that but I saw probably 3 that were pushing 17". These guys did not measure anything, and just continued to put everything on the stringer even after having what appeared to be a limit. I called the poacher hotline to see if there was an officer in the area, and that he may want to head to this particular area and check some creels. The operator said he would forward it to the local officers voicemail and let him decide if it was worth pursuing.

Seen that too Travis, nothing pisses me off more

pineman19
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Travis,

The officer said they were checking fish. Guess he figured since I was eager to show my license he wasn't too worried about me, but he looked around my truck anyway. Seems likely they were on the prowl as a result of your call. I usually fish more during weekdays to avoid the crowds, but I haven't seen anyone near me that has appeared to be breaking the rules. There were only two people fishing around me today, both were spin fisherman, one that I have seen before. I saw him net a couple from a distance, the other guy was away from me all morning. He said he hadn't caught his limit and he nearly got caught in the rising water along the steep bank. I pushed my luck myself, went a little over an hour after they started releasing. Next time, I won't go past an hour at Miller's.

Neal

MadisonBoats
08-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Good to hear TWRA are making a presence again. I know I have voiced my opinions to many of the officers and inquired about their process. I do not mind being asked and checked; actually, it would feel like I got some use out of carrying my yearly $50 receipt.

Also, we have got to thwart these fish mongers. Man, I have seen them decimate the weir dam area with buckets of fish.

Arkansawyer
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Hey guys,
I thought I'd chip in on this subject. Last weekend, my buddy and I waded from Miller's down to the Madison Gail bridge, and were lamenting the long walk back until the game warden hooked us up with a ride on his tailgate. While he didn't check our licenses, he did make the spin fishermen who exited the river with us pull a tape out and measure every single fish they had. They were legal, but we thought it was nice to see the law being enforced. It was the first time I'd seen a warden check anyone since I moved here from Arkansas last July.
-Dylan

MadisonBoats
08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
....to the Madison Gail bridge, and....
-Dylan

That is a sweet bridge:biggrin: Wished it was named that....I grew up about 1/4 mile above it on Island Ford.

GrouseMan77
08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Arkansawyer - Unsure if you were joking or just misunderstood the name of the bridge? If misunderstood... it's "Massengill Bridge".

ChemEAngler
08-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I can see how it could easily be misunderstood.

To some locals Massengill is pronounced as 'Mass - in -gale', including my family. :smile:

MadisonBoats
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Arkansawyer - Unsure if you were joking or just misunderstood the name of the bridge? If misunderstood... it's "Massengill Bridge".

Don't trust him; it is really Madison Bridge:biggrin:

waterwolf
08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
That is a sweet bridge:biggrin: Wished it was named that....I grew up about 1/4 mile above it on Island Ford.

I can see how it could easily be misunderstood.

To some locals Massengill is pronounced as 'Mass - in -gale', including my family. :smile:
I saw it, and actually chose to not say anything.:smile:

However, being a local as well, I have never slipped and slandered the structure with a gail or gale for that matter. :biggrin:

There has been a lot of pressure on TWRA to get on the river. I heard tale of a letter signed by a bunch of folks of importance to the head of enforcement regarding the lack of enforcement on the river. If true I would say that got their azzes in gear.

tn hound
08-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I have fished up there for 20 years and never been checked, hopefully the word will get out that they're checking and these guys will stop keeping the slot fish. Normally, I don't like seeing the law, but i would love to see them up there.

MadisonBoats
08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I saw it, and actually chose to not say anything.:smile:

Probably in your best interest!:smile:

waterwolf
08-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Probably in your best interest!:smile:

I chose not to, because it was trivial, and matters for nothing. I assure you it was not because I have suddenly become a pillar of society.

MadisonBoats
08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I chose not to, because it was trivial, and matters for nothing. I assure you it was not because I have suddenly become a pillar of society.

You do seem to have been a better fly fishing ambassador with your posts/comments on this website recently. No one is perfect and we all have our days. It is each person's prerogative to live the life they choose and be who they want to be! I appreciate when others offer me help and friendly comments about my posts/topics! I try to share my joy of fly fishing with others that are interested in the same passion. Most of all; I try to show others respect and the courtesy I would if I were talking to them in person. That is why I have my name and email in my signature - to be open, honest, & upfront! I have found this philosophy to bring me great joy, contentment, and numerous friends!