PDA

View Full Version : Question about the lower Clinch (Melton Hill)

Grannyknot
08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Why doesn't the Clinch below 61 bridge ever support a good population of Smallmouth like the Holston? The banks have good cover in terms of brush and rocks, and the shad population is excellent.

Is the water still too cold that far down? I know I've caught other species of bass around the south clinton bridge.
Is it just that they were never heavily stocked in there?

waterwolf
08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Why doesn't the Clinch below 61 bridge ever support a good population of Smallmouth like the Holston? The banks have good cover in terms of brush and rocks, and the shad population is excellent.

Is the water still too cold that far down? I know I've caught other species of bass around the south clinton bridge.
Is it just that they were never heavily stocked in there?
I do not know, but fished a ton down there in my younger days, and many times with jigs or other stuff chasing white bass and yellow perch. I have never caught a smallmouth anywhere between Bull Run and 61 Bridge. I am sure there are some there, but they seemingly are few and far between.

The habitat may be bad for them, with mostly a mud bottom, and little if any rock rubble which is what they prefer. I honestly do not know the answer however.

MadisonBoats
08-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I do not have a lot of fishing experience down that way; but, many of my friends fish for perch and striped bass. I live on the river in part of this stretch and the water is super cold. I know the water is very cold all the way down to Bull Run. At the Bull Run Discharge is another story; lots of bass in there if you have a nice strong trolling motor.

I suspect there is some kind of thermocline in the water from the 61 bridge down-do to the ebb and tide of the generation schedules and deeper water. It could be there is warmer water at the bottom and fish are located at a particular depth...?:confused: