PDA

View Full Version : Clinch drain down time?

tntom
08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
According to the drain down chart from Clinch river TU it takes 8.5 hrs to be wadeable at the 61 bridge after 1 gen is turned off. I went by that and people were fishing when I got there. How long does it take to be wadeable at 61 bridge after 1 gen is turned off?

ChemEAngler
08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
According to the drain down chart from Clinch river TU it takes 8.5 hrs to be wadeable at the 61 bridge after 1 gen is turned off. I went by that and people were fishing when I got there. How long does it take to be wadeable at 61 bridge after 1 gen is turned off?

Tom,

According to the chart it takes 8.5 hours for it to drain at Hwy 61 after one generator. However, that is only if the dam was running one generator long enough to reach maximum river flow throughout the river course. That is one of the assumptions listed just above the table on the website. If they only pulsed one generator for a short period then it would be even less that that. The easiest way to find out is do what many of us do on these waters, and that is just keep going earlier and earlier until you find what you are comfortable with. Keep in mind though that it all depends on how long they were running that generator, and if there is also significant contributions from the two primary feeder streams upstream.

waterwolf
08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Drain down times are a roulette wheel. There are a ton of variables which have to be considered in order to establish a time line. If they have run a ton water, then it takes longer due to bank seepage, and creek back water to run out, a short run naturally takes less time. It is tough to put any exact period of time on it IMO.

Chem has the best approach and that is to just feel it out, and find what you think is the best time to try and wade after the water shuts off.

MadisonBoats
08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Drain down times are a roulette wheel. There are a ton of variables which have to be considered in order to establish a time line. If they have run a ton water, then it takes longer due to bank seepage, and creek back water to run out, a short run naturally takes less time. It is tough to put any exact period of time on it IMO.

Chem has the best approach and that is to just feel it out, and find what you think is the best time to try and wade after the water shuts off.

Agreed; experience with different areas and knowing the river is about the best method - behind following the drain chart (it has many of the variables noted in the study). One note: Do not push the generator time right below the weir dam. I takes it a bit to fill the weir pool back up to elevation and once it reaches the top - it is pretty much head for the hills:eek: It always gets people week in and week out.