PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP in the Fall

BlueRaiderFan
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Any tips on techniques in the cooler temps? What about vs various water flows at those temps? Thanks in advance.

Rog 1
08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Love fishing in the fall...cooler weather, fewer people and great scenery....I have always found that dry fly fishing is still popping...terrestrials are still out and about, caddis flies are still working...there is a huge caddis fly that hatches in the evenings around Elkmont this time of year...cinnamon colored...later in the fall the browns start to spawn and move upstream and if you are stealthy you will see some fish that will literally take your breath away....about the only thing that doesn't hatch during this time is the tubers...fish during the week if you can and you will almost have the place to yourself....

pineman19
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Fall can be great! The only negative IMO is dealing with all the traffic at the height of Leaf Peeping season:eek: Water levels can be lower, typically October is a drier month, but the latest climate predictions say that drought conditions should improve for East TN over the next few months. I hope they are correct. The heat has been tough and I am looking forward to cooler weather for work and my personal time as well.

As far as fishing techniques, I don't change up that much in the Smokies. Smaller/darker flies if the water is lower, nymphs (BHPT, Tellicos) are what I use most of the time. When in doubt, use a parachute adams (12-16), the female adams are a good choice as well.

Neal

BlueRaiderFan
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Good stuff guys. Temps drop to the frigid mid 80's next week. I am looking forward to the fall.

jeffnles1
08-13-2010, 11:13 AM
My son and I will be there in October the weekend of the 8th I think if my old brain cells (the ones that are left anyway) are firing correctly this morning.

Looking forward to a little fishing and enjoying cooler temps and cool water.

Rog 1
08-13-2010, 11:35 AM
For the last 40 years my best friend and I have spent the last week of Sept/first week of Oct. camping in Elkmont and fishing where it feels right...by this time of year there is usually a break in the heat...cool or warm days and cool nights....the leaves have not changed enough to bring in the heavy traffic and the kids are in school during the week...we set up camp on Sunday and leave on Friday....I know at Elkmont the campground is almlost empty during the week as are most of the streams....just a great time to be out and about.

BlueRaiderFan
08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I've never caught a large amount of fish during any one trip to the park but I sure love going. I used to believe that those mountains and streams were a living entity that had it in for me and now I know I was just lousy at fishing them.

silvercreek
08-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Fall is a lovely time in the mountains. The only drawback is that if you go there when the leaves are falling you'll spend a lot of time clearing them off your fly. Oh yeah, watch where you step. The leaves like to form a mat in back eddys, and what you think may be a foot deep can be a lot deeper. Test before you commit your full weight. Enjoy. Silvercreek

ifish4wildtrout
08-13-2010, 04:21 PM
You will easily catch 20 times the legal limit of leaves :biggrin:, otherwise, fall fishing is just about as good as spring fishing, in my opinion.

BlueRaiderFan
08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I've been before in the fall, but don't remember if I took, and was fishing, the right flies. I usually use Hugh Hartsells hatch charts, but wanted to get some more insight, especially as to where the fish might lie in various water flows in the fall etc. I do appreciate the advise so far though.

silvercreek
08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
BRF, you might try looking at archive issues of the fishing report for some tips on flies and techniques for the time you expect to go to the Smokys. Click on the fishing report and you will find the archives on the left side by scrolling down.

BlueRaiderFan
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Silver. I didn't know about that. Should be a useful tool. I swear, I gotta save up and hire a guide one day.:smile: I always catch one or two these days, but I just don't know enough to catch more than a few. I am getting better, but want to ramp up my skills more quickly. Besides, some of these guides can teach me in one day what it would take me years to figure out.

one more cast
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
BRF, I am no expert in the park, however, FWIW, I have had luck fishing larger orange/tan looking caddis or stimulators (October Caddis), and terrestrials until the first hard freeze. After colder weather sets in, BWOs.

Knothead
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I have had good luck with a #14 or 16 Elk hair caddis. I have fished it fall and spring. Also, a pheasant tail is a good go-to fly. I made a PT with heavy sewing thread just for the fun of it. Caught fish!

BlueRaiderFan
08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys! I am headed up to Elkmont on the 17th with my nephew. Should be a great time. Gonna bring the flies suggested and a few more. Tying some dropper rigs this week and making my camping list.;)