PDA

View Full Version : Fishing lakes... HOW do you do it?!

Worrgamesguy
08-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Namely Percy Priest... Went out today for a couple hours. Fish were going crazy all over the surface, mostly in the middle of the lake. I brought both my fly rods to maximize time spent. Upon viewing the fish, they almost seemed like carp. So I put on a white wooly bugger with flash and fished that for about 30 minutes with nothing.

Then I strung up my 7 WT and put on a big frog popper imitation, and switched my 5 WT to a grasshopper pattern with a BHPT dropped off the hopper. I'd cast the 5 WT, let it sit, and actively fish the 7 WT. Occasionally I'd see the hopper wasn't floating so I'd drop the 7 WT and attempt to catch whatever was messing with my BHPT. Never felt anything on the other end of the line. I had one average bluegill rise to the popper, but the fly was far too big for it to consume. Switched to an olive and white Zonker, still no luck.

Also had one slap at the hopper, but got skunked today. What can I do better?

MadisonBoats
08-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I would say the fish were probably a little deeper due to the heat. I usually catch some kind of fish every other cast when I take mine to the lake. Mostly bluegill. There are midges and similar insects in the lake. Add you an indicator and throw right up on the bank. Experiment with the depth and you will get in to some fish. Those commercial rubber leg poppers always worked well for blue gill and some bass. My brother was a solid lake/baitcaster fisherman until I took my fly rod after a short day on the river. He saw how easy it was to catch fish. He put his baitcaster down and used a fly rod the rest of the summer. He caught several sizable bass and tuned his fly rod cast in to a work of art. Well; the last part may be stretching it.;)

waterwolf
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
This time of year fish super early, daylight. You should be able to catch bass on the banks on poppers, concentrate on rip rap, if there is any around, and mainstream banks as well. If bass aren't happening, look for white bass breaking in shad in the middle of the lake. If that isn't happening, as a last resort try a small popper, or small black wooly bugger on the banks for bream.

It usually isn't too difficult to catch fish on the the lake, but this time of year fish early and quit by 8 or 9.

Worrgamesguy
08-14-2010, 02:21 AM
I would say the fish were probably a little deeper due to the heat. I usually catch some kind of fish every other cast when I take mine to the lake. Mostly bluegill. There are midges and similar insects in the lake. Add you an indicator and throw right up on the bank. Experiment with the depth and you will get in to some fish. Those commercial rubber leg poppers always worked well for blue gill and some bass. My brother was a solid lake/baitcaster fisherman until I took my fly rod after a short day on the river. He saw how easy it was to catch fish. He put his baitcaster down and used a fly rod the rest of the summer. He caught several sizable bass and tuned his fly rod cast in to a work of art. Well; the last part may be stretching it.;)

I can catch bluegill pretty regularly, but I was looking for at least small bass or large crappie. So I avoided casting green weenies and small panfish poppers.

This time of year fish super early, daylight. You should be able to catch bass on the banks on poppers, concentrate on rip rap, if there is any around, and mainstream banks as well. If bass aren't happening, look for white bass breaking in shad in the middle of the lake. If that isn't happening, as a last resort try a small popper, or small black wooly bugger on the banks for bream.

It usually isn't too difficult to catch fish on the the lake, but this time of year fish early and quit by 8 or 9.

That could be a part of it... I got there around 1:00 and it was so hot my shirt was off in about 10 minutes. Only thing I caught was a nice sunburn. Oh well, it'll turn into a tan tomorrow. What I was looking for is fishing when I can't make it to a tailwater, which entitles getting up early. I don't want to fish warmwater bad enough to get up. Would dusk work the same way?

waterwolf
08-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Dusk is a funny thing, it should be allright, but the last few weeks it has been blistering hot in the evenings as well. Try it and see, I usually do much better early rather then late on the lakes during the summer. However, I also do not fish much late in the evening either.

Worrgamesguy
08-16-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm a night owl, I guess that comes with others my age. I don't go to bed until almost sunrise. I'm not a vampire so we can clear that right now, I better not see an angry mob with pitchforks outside my house tomorrow!

Haha I guess if I get the urge bad enough to catch some fish I'll go early in the morning, but I'd probably end up going to the Caney instead.

Troutman
08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
use full sinking lines with unweighted flies(puglisi) or long leaders (15ft) and a heavy dumbell weighted fly on a floating line. Fish the rock ledges and submerged humps. This time of year, the fish are deep during the day and feed more during the night and early morning. Once the sun gets high in the sky, they turn off.

Knothead
08-16-2010, 04:18 PM
It has been pretty much summed up by others. Like baitcasting or spinning, you have to experiment to see what they want. Don't trout do the same?
Worrgamesguy, no pitchforks; just a stake and a large hammer.;)

Worrgamesguy
08-16-2010, 11:34 PM
use full sinking lines with unweighted flies(puglisi) or long leaders (15ft) and a heavy dumbell weighted fly on a floating line. Fish the rock ledges and submerged humps. This time of year, the fish are deep during the day and feed more during the night and early morning. Once the sun gets high in the sky, they turn off.

Thanks, I was sure you'd poke your head in here :biggrin:

It has been pretty much summed up by others. Like baitcasting or spinning, you have to experiment to see what they want. Don't trout do the same?
Worrgamesguy, no pitchforks; just a stake and a large hammer.;)

Oh my :eek:

And no, trout are pretty easy to figure out. Bass are stubborn :mad:

milligan trout degree
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Bass can be stubborn in lakes. Especially this time of year when the water temp is warming up. Added to the difficulty is the challenge of fishing deep enough to reach cooler water with a fly rod. However, if you can find a pond with bass in it, the fishing will be a lot more consistent. If you fish for pond bass often enough you'll begin to think you've really got them figured out only to be humbled on your next trip to the lake. That said, I got lucky last week after a big rain storm which kept the day cool and overcast. I caught four largemouth from the bank. I was throwing my best double haul over a hump using an olive woolly bugger. I was using moderately paced long strips. I've caught more bass on olive buggers than any other fly.