PDA

View Full Version : New all around rod for smokies

canetuck
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi all, i know this is such a broad and opinionated subject and thera are the long and short factions and the light and the heavy camp.I'm wanting to get a Scott G2 for all around Smokies rod.I'm pretty sure I want a 4 weight.Should I get the 7'7" or the 8'4"?
Thanks,
Jason

BlueRaiderFan
08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Jason,

I am much less skilled than others on here, but IMHO go with the 8'4". Most of the casting you do will be roll casting (if you want to stay out of the trees) and that few extra inches will give you the extra momentum you need to get some line out and a good presentation at a distance (relatively speaking). That said, the shorter rod would work fine too though and would be a bit better if you like fishing the tiny streams up high. I don't so I stick with the longer rod. JMO.

Dwayne

tntom
08-17-2010, 11:29 PM
No question 7'7" I use a 7'9" that is perfect in the smokeys

Wilson10
08-18-2010, 12:41 AM
My 2 cents... 8'4"

Knothead
08-18-2010, 06:15 AM
I started fishing the park with a 6-1/2 or 7 ft. rod. However, I do like to fish small streams and built a 6 ft. 2 wt. just for that purpose. Works good on LR and medium size streams, too. Started to build a 5 ft. rod but got a good deal on the 6 ft. blank.

fishhead
08-18-2010, 08:16 AM
8FT 4WT 4PC my best all around rod, my original cortland pack rod w/crown11 reel, serves me best for all around fishing in the GSMNP.
Fishhead

RFork
08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
I would go with the shorter rod. You don't have to roll cast everything with a shorter rod as it stays under the trees better. This has been my experience from using both a 9', 7'6", and 6'6".
Good luck

Rog 1
08-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I have everything from a 5' rod to a 8'4" that run the range from a 2wt to a 6wt....they all have their place....I have fished my little Orvis one ounce 6'6" rod on every bit of water and have caught fish up to 16" on it...best rod for all circumstances if I had to choose would be my 7'6" 4wt...you need to cast whatever you decide because how it feels and works in your hands makes the difference....good luck and let us know what you choose.

Grannyknot
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
If you are looking for an "all around" rod that you can cast on streams like the little river, roll cast on tight streams, & high stick.....I'd go with the 8'4".

canetuck
08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the input guys.I've owned and cast alot of different rods over the years,but all my fishing has been done on stillwaters.Stream fishing is still a mystery.I love GSMNP and plan to fish it soon.

Carlito
08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and toss in my 2 cents as well... if you want all-around versatility, choosing the shorter rod is going to limit your capabilities. I'd go with the longest rod I could get my hands on. I'm fishing an 8'4" TLS Power Matrix 3 wt these days more than my TFO 8'6" 4 wt, and I can tell you that I wish my TLS was longer!

BTW, if you ask Jim Casada what he'd pick, he'd lean towards the longer rod, and you won't find many folks alive that have fished more in the Park.

One last note... go with your instincts. If you know what you're doing, you can catch trout all day in the Park on a 6' cane pole. Get the rod you'll be most satisfied with.

Trip
08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I use a 9' helios and 8'6" TFO rod in the park. I like the 9' better. It helps me keep my line off the water better especially when I try to keep it over swift water to get to the pool I want to fish. So I would say get the 8'4".

BlueRaiderFan
08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
You're all wrong and here's why: :biggrin:

Mundele
08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
I also vote for the long rod. Makes line mending easier. I usually fish 8'6" or 9' rods even on small streams.

--Matt

Jim Casada
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Jason--I'm a staunch proponent of longer rods. Get the 8'4" (and the 4-weight is a fine choice). Also, there was considerable interchange on this subject a few weeks back. You might want to do some looking at the various opinions as well as the rationale which underlay them. A bunch of folks had sound points.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Crockett
08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey Jim I remember seeing an old picture of Mark Cathey in your book holding a fly rod. I thought it looked like a pretty long 9' rod am I mistaken? Just trying to get some perspective on what old timers like Mr. Cathey used when fishing in the smokies.

jeffnles1
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
My favorite Smoky's rod is my 8' 4" Scott G2 in 3wt configuration.

Just for what it's worth.

Jerf

Bran
08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I'd go 8'4" either way but like Jeff said I'd go 3 wt. I'm looking for one now albeit I'm looking at the Winston BIIx 3 wt.

Maurer
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I traded my old 7'9" 3wt for an 8'4" 3wt and love it!

canetuck
08-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks again guys for all the fine suggestions.Jim I look forward to reading your book on the Smokies. Jeffnles1 I've been reading your blog and your G2 pic was my inspiration to get one.I do prefer a lighter action.

Jim Casada
08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Adam--Great point about the rod Mark Cathey has in the well-known photo of him. In truth I had never thought of it, but the rod is definitely 8'6" or 9'. On the flip side of the coin, one of the finest fly fishermen I ever knew, Frank Young (I mention him a number of times in my book) sometimes fished with a quite short rod; other times with a long one. I have a three-piece F. E. Thomas bamboo which was once his that is, I believe, 8'6". The single best fisherman I have spent time on a stream with, Marty Maxwell (he's the guy on the cover of my book) uses a very long rod--9', 9'6", or even 10', and he can handle it in tight quarters such as Little Snowbird with no problems at all.
Thanks for your keen observation on Cathey, and rest assured I'll make use of this tidbit at some point in time down the road.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

BlueRaiderFan
08-18-2010, 09:53 PM
In my brief experience with fishing smaller waters, I did wish for a short rod when the rhodo started to really hang over the creek.

icSpecs
08-19-2010, 12:07 AM
I know I'm a newbie here but why limit yourself to just one rod? wouldn't it be better to use a shorter rod in close quarters and a longer rod in open areas? I understand trying to get a one size fits all but sometimes it pays to have a custom fit. Just wondering?

BlueRaiderFan
08-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Money talks.

Jim Casada
08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
icspecs--Longer rods actually have special virtues in tight quarters--more reach, lengthier bow-and-arrow casts in tough places, extra distance for dappling, longer roll casts when you can't false cast, easier to mend, etc. As I posted earlier on this thread, there's a detailed discussion of the matter somewhere back in the archives (maybe a couple of months ago).
In the final analysis though, I can make points in favor of a long rod, someone else can do the same for a short one; I can ridicule zero-weight fairy wands of six feet in length while another belittles my nine-foot four-weight. In the end everyone should do what floats their own fly.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

jeffnles1
08-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks again guys for all the fine suggestions.Jim I look forward to reading your book on the Smokies. Jeffnles1 I've been reading your blog and your G2 pic was my inspiration to get one.I do prefer a lighter action.

Thanks. I did just post a new entry on the blog about a day fishing for longear sunfish.

Just to fuel your fire for a G2.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/fishing/DSCN0043.jpg

:smile:

Rog 1
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
It used to be that to go lighter you had to go shorter...this led to my fishing short rods for a lot of situations...last year I found an 8'4" Orvis Helios 3wt. on ebay...new...for $350...this wand weighs in at a whopping 1 3/4 ounces...I can high stick this sweet thing all day long without getting tired....now use it on all but the tightest of creeks.

Mac
08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Overall I think the longer rods are easyier to control