PDA

View Full Version : I'm not beleaveinvg I'm asking this but

Rodonthefly
08-19-2010, 03:41 PM
i have a buddy that is wantting to try for some of those monster stripers that are up in the Clinch, I know of two spots where they are holding and have seen them almost every trip i have made down the Clinch this year.

So how do we get the **** things to bite?

i'm thinking of holding back on them and fishing down stream into them using white streamers, if that dosn't work we will switch to spinning gear. Any suggestions on this would be great.

And NO, baby trout isn't an opption for me!!!!!!!!

No Hackle
08-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Tie on something big and rainbow trout like with a sinking tip.
Lynn

Grannyknot
08-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Rodney, Assuming you don't have an aversion to live bait of all kinds, there is a place downriver that is full of monster shad. From there you know where to go. Use a balloon or planer board and hook them through the bridge of the nose. The jet boat guys swear that an 8" rainbow is like a snicker bar to them.

As far as fly rods...I've known 2 different people that lost all their line and backing. One of those people was my uncle with a 7wt. I'm sure you could muscle one around with bigger gear. They are stout beasts and don't give up easily.

waterwolf
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Suck it up and fling a live trout, just kill every freaking striper you catch. I sucked it up, and have certainly drowned a stocker or two in the last few years, and have killed quite a few stripers along the way.

Good luck with them on a fly, try something huge, 8" of larger white with some flash. Better fish at least an 8wt. and you would be better off with a 10wt. There is nothing that fights like a striper in fresh water that I have ever caught. I have never hooked one larger then 15 lbs or so on a fly, but have caught them in the 40lb range on spinning tackle, and it takes a ton of luck and line to land one.

Kill one trout to save a hundred...

Grannyknot
08-20-2010, 08:29 AM
I agree with Jim on using a 10wt if possible. They get pretty big in the clinch, and it would be a shame to tear up or loose some gear that was undersized.

That Rivermonster show guy should come fish for them. While they aren't near as big as those wells catfish he catches, I guarantee they fight equally as hard. We've caught some 35 pounders in Norris Lake that don't hesitate to take out 50 more feet of line once you've gotten them up to the boat after a 15 minute struggle.

Also, if you're in the business of killing them, you might as well eat one. I think they are pretty good as deep fried nuggets. The meat that has visible blood viens in it is worthless IMO.

waterwolf
08-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Here is a pic of a striper I caught several years ago on the Clinch, and no it was not on a fly. It was on a live trout, about a 10" rainbow who fought valiantly for its life, however it failed to outrun and jump this bruiser.

I do not know how much this fish weighed, but bet it was pushing the 40 lb mark, it was all I could do to hold it up for the picture. It died, a horrible death. I also have no idea why my head is cut off in the picture, guess to keep from breaking the camera :biggrin:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/grouseboys/IMGP0623-1.jpg

BigMax
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
How would one hook a baby bow to incite a striper?

also i have never been in a boat up past the 61 bridge but i have seen a large striper or 2 swimming up at millers island. Where would be a good place to try and slay one of these monsters? all the way down at the bull run? or up above 61 bridge?

my buddies are all bass fisherman so i need to get them involved as they dont seem to be ready to go fly fishing anytime soon :(

kentuckytroutbum
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Here is a pic of a striper I caught several years ago on the Clinch, and no it was not on a fly. It was on a live trout, about a 10" rainbow who fought valiantly for its life, however it failed to outrun and jump this bruiser.

I do not know how much this fish weighed, but bet it was pushing the 40 lb mark, it was all I could do to hold it up for the picture. It died, a horrible death. I also have no idea why my head is cut off in the picture, guess to keep from breaking the camera :biggrin:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/grouseboys/IMGP0623-1.jpg

The guilty always want to remain anonymous. (Just kidding with you) :smile:

waterwolf
08-20-2010, 10:00 AM
How would one hook a baby bow to incite a striper?

Take a 6/0 Circle Hook and run it through the trouts nose, just like a fly would hook a fish. No balloons, no bobbers, just free line them, and DO NOT cast them, they do not swim well after being cast. Just let them swim away from the boat, and let them travel on their own accord, basically free lining them.

The guilty always want to remain anonymous. (Just kidding with you) :smile:
:biggrin:

Hard for me to remain anonymous. Most on here know me.

buzzmcmanus
08-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Kill one trout to save a hundred...

I agree with waterwolf on this. But, the day you go expecting to catch bait, will be the day you catch nothing but fish in the slot. Make sure you bring some Cotton Cordell Redfin's (change the hooks out on these) as well as some big swim baits.

JoelO
08-20-2010, 04:29 PM
WW,

That was a pig...wow. How would you like to be playing a fish on a 5 wt and have one of those come by and inhale it....yikers.

waterwolf
08-20-2010, 10:26 PM
WW,

That was a pig...wow. How would you like to be playing a fish on a 5 wt and have one of those come by and inhale it....yikers.
I have had it happen several times, and had it happen to clients as well. The two I remember for me the most were one on a 16" rainbow on the Clinch which I hooked on a sulphur with the water running, striper ate the trout and proceeded to rip line to almost the end of the backing, but spit the trout out.

Second was one of the last times I was on the Cumberland, I had an 18"ish fish on, and an entire school of stripers attacked it. One about 25-30 lbs nailed the fish and came shooting by the boat with just my trouts head sticking out of its mouth. I fought that one for a very long time, on a 4wt, and almost had him whipped when he expelled the trout, which did not survive.

Scary when it happens, and usually short lived.

Rodonthefly
08-21-2010, 10:16 PM
ok well we went today. we caught trout between the holes where i have been seeing the stripers, didn't see any at the first stop, but they were at the 2nd stop. We saw around 20 or so but they didn't want we had including the one baby trout we offered.

How ever we did have a nice brown "10+ pounds" follow a jerk bait to the boat. That got the ol ticker pumping. All and all not a bad day to be out the rain held out for the most part.

MadisonBoats
08-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Rod,
Some old timers use long zonkers dipped in bacon fat or WD-40.:rolleyes:

Rodonthefly
08-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Wd 40 really? Never heard of that

No Hackle
08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Have heard of folks spraying their poppers with wd40 while fishing for carp, Probly creates some kind of scent trail.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
08-22-2010, 02:57 PM
WD-40 is insane for plugs and jigs! Probably not the environment.:rolleyes:

waterwolf
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
I have heard the same about WD40, doesn't make sense to me, but then again I am not a fish.

kentuckytroutbum
08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Saturday, while a few of us were tying flies, a friend told me about an article that he read by Lefty Kreh. When Lefty was going to fish the flats, he would catch a small crab, and smash it on a rock. Then take the "juice" and smear it on his flies. Said it was absolutely deadly!

Maybe we need to smash some bugs, and smear them on our flies. Might work! Or someone can come with an artificial odorant to spray on the flies. ChemAngler are you listening? Caddis Cologne? Whiff of Wooley Bugger? Scent of Sulphurs? Eau de BWO?

Should be legal, since we're not using live bait in the trout sections, right? :cool:

Bill

asummitt
08-23-2010, 11:46 AM
This should probably go without saying, but since I almost lost all my line and backing on about a 25 pound striper, I'll say it anyway.

Make sure your line and backing come off your reel smoothly. I had a striper on and ripping off line when my reel stopped about 30 feet into my backing. It was tangled on the spool and it took me a couple minutes to get free. All while I'm trying to land my biggest fish ever. Now when I go striper fishing I take all my line off and make sure it's not tangled anywhere.

I've caught several stripers, none of which were on this part of the Clinch, and all of them have been on chart./white clousers and deceivers.

waterwolf
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
This should probably go without saying, but since I almost lost all my line and backing on about a 25 pound striper, I'll say it anyway.

Make sure your line and backing come off your reel smoothly. I had a striper on and ripping off line when my reel stopped about 30 feet into my backing. It was tangled on the spool and it took me a couple minutes to get free. All while I'm trying to land my biggest fish ever. Now when I go striper fishing I take all my line off and make sure it's not tangled anywhere.

I've caught several stripers, none of which were on this part of the Clinch, and all of them have been on chart./white clousers and deceivers.
Good point, and the way that backing nests happen is reeling the leader all the way up into the reel. How many folks have ever grabbed the end of their leader to pull line off the reel only to notice that it has fallen one wrap under the fly line? I would bet most have had this happen, most times it goes unnoticed and it run itself all the way into the backing over time, and eventually creates a knot in the backing which spells trouble on large big running fish.

BigMax
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
i have only waded at millers and the 61 bridge....now i have a john-boat that i use to run from eagle bend to the 61 bridge....are these stripers holding up by peach orchard(i have never been there other than just looking out at the put in) or somwhere else like by the 75 bridge? i have an opportunity to go try and fish tomorrow and with the generation i felt like i might try to get on some stripers.....

could i put in a john-boat or even a bass boat in at peach orchard with 2 generators and be in close proximity to the stripers? i have my buddies who are hard-core bass enthusiast interested in the trip.....

MadisonBoats
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
You can launch at 61 bridge and fish below and up past the church and do really well. Just make sure you have a good rig.

I throw these:
http://www.stormlures.com/images/interface_images/titles/soft_lures/wildeye_live_rainbow_trout.gif
http://www.stormlures.com/images/flash_files/soft_lures/freshwater/wildeye_live_rainbow_trout.jpg
http://www.stormlures.com/images/interface_images/titles/soft_lures/wildeye_live_stocker_trout.gif
http://www.stormlures.com/images/flash_files/soft_lures/freshwater/wildeye_live_stocker_trout.jpg

waterwolf
08-23-2010, 11:03 PM
i have only waded at millers and the 61 bridge....now i have a john-boat that i use to run from eagle bend to the 61 bridge....are these stripers holding up by peach orchard(i have never been there other than just looking out at the put in) or somwhere else like by the 75 bridge? i have an opportunity to go try and fish tomorrow and with the generation i felt like i might try to get on some stripers.....

could i put in a john-boat or even a bass boat in at peach orchard with 2 generators and be in close proximity to the stripers? i have my buddies who are hard-core bass enthusiast interested in the trip.....
The schools I have seen this year above 61 ( every trip in each vicinity they are there), are always around the mouth of coal creek, just around the corner from Cane Creek, bottom end of Donnie Scruggs in the deep hole, and every time the water is coming up there is a school of about 30 fish which are moving up the shallow gravel flat just above 61 bridge. If you want consistency, put in at 61, catch a limit of trout, go down river 5 or 6 miles (below dismals boat ramp), and proceed to free line trout. I have yet to have one eat a plug, I am sure they would, but if you want to catch them, fish a live trout. Just kill every freaking striper you catch.

Rodonthefly
08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Jim how bad is a float from dimal to the green bridge on 2 generaters? Do you mover pretty fast down that way?

waterwolf
08-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Jim how bad is a float from dimal to the green bridge on 2 generaters? Do you mover pretty fast down that way?
Depends what you consider bad. It would probably take around, 5 hours I would think.

I have always threatened to float that stretch and throw streamers against the banks. Who knows what might come out, it could be really scary to be honest. There is a world of possibilities in that stretch of river and it is not fished much at all, if any.

Rodonthefly
08-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Depends what you consider bad. It would probably take around, 5 hours I would think.

I have always threatened to float that stretch and throw streamers against the banks. Who knows what might come out, it could be really scary to be honest. There is a world of possibilities in that stretch of river and it is not fished much at all, if any.

Want to do it tomorrow or thrusday after work? I'm game!!!!!!!

MadisonBoats
08-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Spent many trips from Green Bridge up to 61 and back last year (logistics works out best for me). Definitely a different style of fishing from Eagle Bend Down....

waterwolf
08-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Want to do it tomorrow or thrusday after work? I'm game!!!!!!!
I would love to, but I think it will be too late by the time I could get away, and I don't like the generation schedules for it. I would rather have several days in a row of 2 round the clock. I believe that would push to the banks and keep them there in defined holding/feeding locations. I would like to do it sometime, so keep an eye on the schedules.

Mike_Anderson
09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Just kill every freaking striper you catch.

Seriously? This has to be the most asinine thing I have ever read on here.

Might as well kill everyone and everything that takes a few Trout to eat too. That would include People, River Otters, Herons, Browns over 24", Rainbows over 24", Cormorants, Osprey, Eagles, King Fishers, etc etc. What,,, just kill em all?

waterwolf
09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Seriously? This has to be the most asinine thing I have ever read on here.

Might as well kill everyone and everything that takes a few Trout to eat too. That would include People, River Otters, Herons, Browns over 24", Rainbows over 24", Cormorants, Osprey, Eagles, King Fishers, etc etc. What,,, just kill em all?
Ahh yes, an outsider swoops in to start the mud slinging about something he knows zero about.

I have no issues with stripers where stripers do little to any harm on other game fish species. However on the Clinch any Striper caught above Dismals boat ramp, is fair game. I will gleefully zip their guts open. Keep in mind this is a very small population of fish, maybe 100 fish or so total in the entire river. They are retired brood fish which were dumped in from the Hatchery near 61 bridge years ago.

I enjoy fishing for Stripers below Loudon and Melton Hill, as well as on the reservoirs. I would never kill them on those bodies of water and never have. However, in the Clinch I have yet to let one swim away, and don't plan on letting any swim away in the future.

Cormorants **** near decimated the trout population in the Holston this year, and if they all suddenly dropped dead rest assured most of us who enjoy that river would not be sad.

On the other insanity in your reply, well, let's just say......ah nevermind.....

Knothead
09-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Has there been a formal, academic study of stomach contents of stripers that determine what they eat? This would include contents and what % of the diet each lifeform represents.

waterwolf
09-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Has there been a formal, academic study of stomach contents of stripers that determine what they eat? This would include contents and what % of the diet each lifeform represents.
There has been studies done on the reservoirs, and they primarily feed on shad in them. However, there is basically zero shad in the Clinch, I say basically because I am sure occasionally a shad might appear, but it would be rare to see shad. SO that leaves the stripers with one thing and one thing only to eat, trout.