PDA

View Full Version : ferrule wax

littlerivermike
08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Ferrule wax....Orvis has started including with new rods....What are the pros and cons of using ferrule wax?

old east tn boy
08-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I broke a butt section on a 5 WT Helios on the Clinch last year because I didn't have the sections joined tight together, this after using it for about five hours. They came apart on the forward cast and split the second section end about four or five inches down the side of the rod in two places. The use of wax creates a more solid joining of the sections and helps prevent the sections from coming apart. I use it about every four or five outings now and haven't had any more trouble.

Worrgamesguy
08-23-2010, 03:16 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. My new St. Croix 7 WT came with a small container of wax and said "apply to male ferrules." Didn't say how to, or how often, so I've done it every time I assemble the rod.

gmreeves
08-23-2010, 09:11 AM
The one thing about ferrule wax is that it can attract dirt and sand. Once you get some sand in the ferrule connection, that can scratch the graphite and cause a place of failure. Just be careful that the ferrules stay clean.

D-Drake
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
The reason for the ferrule wax is to help keep the rod pieces together better. The inclusion of wax with a rod isn't a reflection on rod quality but is simply a precautionary step.
Any of the rods that have the painted slick finish all the way to the top of a rod section will be more prone to loosening over the course of the day. Rods with bare graphite ends such as a Temple Fork Professional Series will grip together more securely without the use of wax.
Like gmreeves said, the wax can attract dirt and grime which can scratch and damage the rod sections. If the rod section gets dropped on the ground just taking a cloth and wiping it off should prevent that from happening.

Apply the wax lightly. You don't need a whole lot.

Daniel

kentuckytroutbum
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
My Orvis TLS came with a small "can" of wax. I think it works great. As Daniel said it holds the rod sections together, and I also think it makes it easier to disassemble your rod when you're finished.

Bill

Maurer
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Like Daniel said. The Orvis rods shop guys actually said you get almost a whole sixteenth inch deeper seat with a light coating of wax than without.

They actually have a machine in vt that simulates repetitive casting and they can ramp up the rpm's until you see a failure. It's pretty cool and watching a rod blow up never seems to get old.

Bran
08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I was using it and it became sort of a "chore" to remember it and keep up with it every trip etc. A guide told me that when I put my rods together take each male end and just rub it either side of your nose (on your inner cheek). The natural oils that are always there will keep the sections lubed and allow a deeper seat and never make a mess. The best thing for me is I don't have to keep up with anything extra! I've done this ever since with good results.

Jim Casada
08-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Bran--The old rub the nose trick is a "no no" with vintage rods which have metal ferrules. Over time the body acid present in that "grease" alongside the nose (and also behind the ear) will pit and corrode the meta.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

flyman
08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I carry a small slow burning emergency candle to use as ferrule wax. It would also be a big help getting a fire started in an emergency situation.