PDA

View Full Version : 13 Year Old Nephew

BlueRaiderFan
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Was thinking of taking him to the chimneys and WPLP (hiking in that half mile next to the road). Is this too dangerous for a 13 year old boy? He's thin but plays football and is strong for his size but I'm a little worried about some of the wading.

Jim Casada
08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
BlueRaiderFan--By that age I was fishing on my own in the Park. Mind you, that was another time, but my educated guess would be that when it comes to wading relatively skinny water (which is what you'll find in your proposed destination), rock hoppping, and general getting around, your nephew will be "cattier" than you.
I only weighed 105 pounds entering high school, and only stood 5' 4" tall, but my parents felt comfortable turning me loose on Deep Creek (which is bigger than WPLP), Indian Creek, and Noland Creek.
Take the boy fishing and do yourself and him a grand favor.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

BlueRaiderFan
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear that! I am really looking forward to it.

jeffnles1
08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Blue,
It depends on the child, but my son has been fishing in the park with me since he was 12. Like your nephew, he's thin but very coordinated (soccer player). When 13, we were wading the Middle Prong and the East Prong of Little River and Greenbriar which are all bigger streams than where you're thinking. He's now 15 and we frequently fish different sections of the stream (within eyesight of each other but no longer need to be next to each other).

The embarrassing fact is, as Jim said, my son is much more stable than me, has reflexes like a cat and has, sometimes, helped the old man across fast water or climbing up steep hills.

When it comes to hiking, after about 5 miles, I'm breathing heavy and sweating and he's just getting warmed up. He can hike and rock hop me into the dust.

The only time there was ever an issue was the first time we were wading and he wasn't very good at estimating how deep the water was in relation to the top of his chest high waders. I took my eye off him for a minute as I was going through a pretty deep section trying to stay close to the shore and in thigh deep water. He decided to take a short cut and move around me. The water was about armpit deep on him there and yes, he got a very cold rush of water into his waders. He was wearing a wading belt so the cold bath was from belly up but when he got out and took the belt off, a trickel of cold water ran down into his pants and gave him a cold surprise. (umm, shrinkage anyone... :biggrin:). He was never in serious danger but he had to walk about 2 miles back down the trail with wet pants and wet underwear. He now uses a stick or wading staff or just follows his dad.

So, my advise is to keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't get into trouble, talk him through the tougher sections and be ready to accept the help when he's up the hill and offering to give you a hand.

Not sure your age but if you're over 40 he'll be better at much of it than you are.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Jeff,

Sounds like fun! Yeah, I turned 41 a few months back. Way outta shape, but I'm working on it. Hopefully he'll teach me a few things in a few years. ;)

GrouseMan77
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I turned 41 a few months back. Way outta shape, but I'm working on it.

You should probably take him with you due to your age. :rolleyes:

At 13 I could have fished every inch of the water in the park in a couple weeks.

flyman
08-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Just be sure to pack him plenty of food, he'll be fine.;)

BlueRaiderFan
08-24-2010, 10:24 PM
You should probably take him with you due to your age. :rolleyes:

At 13 I could have fished every inch of the water in the park in a couple weeks.

Yeah, but I feel 71! :biggrin: Dang 12 years in the Army are rough on a fella! Running 25 miles a week for years is kinda hard on the old body :eek: Not to mention the 14 months in the desert ;)

BlueRaiderFan
08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Just be sure to pack him plenty of food, he'll be fine.;)

I don't know if that can be done. The kid can eat. I just hope he doesn't get bored and likes it. I suspect he will if he can catch one.

jeffnles1
08-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I don't know if that can be done. The kid can eat. I just hope he doesn't get bored and likes it. I suspect he will if he can catch one.

The first few times my son went fly fishing with me, I let him have first crack at the good runs and kind of made a challenge of it. We'd sit at a good looking run and I'd ask him where he thinks a big fish was hanging out and we'd discuss things like the bubble line, the seam where currents merge or the edges of currents, the rocks on the bottom etc. When he would say "I think one is over there" I'd ask why. Then he would go for it. We would always have little bets on who would catch the most fish and just made a lot of fun out of the day. If we didn't catch any fish, we'd count who had the most bruises. Peanut butter and Jelly back at the car for lunch and just a lot of laughs. Who really cared if we caught anything or not.

Now, he's probaby a better fly fisherman than I am. He's still a little slow on the hook up, but has a great eye and instinct for where to cast. The last couple times he caught more than me and he's progressed to the point we leap frog each other up the streams.

I would say to break the day up, do some hiking, some sitting on a rock and talking, drive by the "Y" and swim or wade (and I'm sure he'll be checking out the bikini hatch when he thinks you're not watching) and just make the time fun. At least with my son, fishing is more than just chasing the fish. It's not even a father / son thing, we're just two fishermen and equals out enjoying a day on the water.

I think you guys are going to have a wonderful time. It'll be something he will always remember.

Jeff

GrouseMan77
08-25-2010, 07:08 AM
I would say to break the day up, do some hiking, some sitting on a rock and talking, drive by the "Y" and swim or wade (and I'm sure he'll be checking out the bikini hatch when he thinks you're not watching) and just make the time fun.

The last couple times I have been by the "Y" the bikini hatch made me a little sick to my stomach. :eek: Some folks have no shame...

Knothead
08-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Congratulations on taking your nephew fishing in the park. It will be a time that both of you will remember for a long time.

BlueRaiderFan
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Congratulations on taking your nephew fishing in the park. It will be a time that both of you will remember for a long time.

Thanks Knothead! I look forward to it. I think I may have a new fishing partner for the park if all goes well. He loves being outside.