PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunters on the board

Rodonthefly
08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
How many of you all deer hunt? Over the years I have hunted I have only missed 1 or 2 opening days of season, I do it all from bow, black powder, to high powered riffles. For some reason I'm not getting as fired up about bow season this year, and i think its due to the heat. So for you hunters are you getting fired up yet?

Knothead
08-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm fired up! My two grandsons want to go deer hunting- ages 7 and 4. I'm looking for some private land as SWMBO isn't too keen on hunting WMAs with them. Will be strictly archery with them. Hopefully, it will be cooling some, if this week is an indication of the next few weeks.
They are also looking forward to dove and spring turkey seasons!

Byron Begley
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm fired up. I'll be deer hunting in Kentucky opening weekend. I'll be using open sights which limits my shots but I don't mind, that's what I like. I guess I'll be using a 30/30 or a 45/70. Then after that it's two weekends of bear and boar hunting in the Cherokee National Forest. I love listening to the plot hounds, camping with the guys and listening to the handlers on the radio. I have not scored a kill yet. Went twice last year. Someone in our group usually gets a boar or bear. It's exciting to think a dangerous animal might come running toward you 50 feet away and I have to react fast.

I heard the fall turkey season is statewide this year. I have not looked that up yet so don't take my word on it. I think you can also harvest a hen. Around our house there are tons of hens this year, probably too many hens.

Byron

buzzmcmanus
08-25-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm usually a mess by this time every summer. My wife is so tired of hearing about what I'm going to kill, she's praying for hunting season to hurry up and get here. I'll start this weekend by squirrel hunting during my free time from Saturday 8/28 until 9/17. Here's the rest of my schedule for the year.

9/18-9/21 bowhunt hogs, S. Cherokee
9/25-9/26, 10/2-10/3, 10/9-10/10 bowhunt bears, Blount Co.
10/16-10/20 bowhunt deer, Catoosa
10/23-10/24 bowhunt deer, Oak Ridge
10/29-10/31 muzzleloader hogs, S. Cherokee
11/5-11/14 bowhunt deer, Yankeeland
11/19-11/21 rifle deer, Lawrence Co, this usually turns into a predator hunt
11/26-11/28 rifle hogs, S. Cherokee
12/4-12/5 rifle predator hunt, Lawrence Co.
12/11-12/12 bowhunt deer, Oak Ridge
12/18-12/19 muzzleloader deer, Yankeeland
12/23-12/27 rifle predators, Lawrence Co
12/31-1/2 rifle predators, Blount Co
1/8-1/11 muzzleloader deer, Yankeeland
I'll run up to Yankeeland one more time for a bowhunt before 2/5 if I still have a buck tag and a winter storm is rolling in. I'll also predator hunt through March.

Payne102
08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
I am not fired up yet but will be after I return from my fishing trip to Montana in September. I hunt with a 54 cal. flintlock on some property that we lease in West Central Georgia.

psnapp
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Ever since that 18' fall with a loaded .270 in Jackson Co, I haven't been fired up about hunting a all! Still hurts 15 yrs later!

GrouseMan77
08-25-2010, 09:46 PM
When it comes to hunting I'm all bird hunter. However, I have decided that this year I will dedicate a unset number of days to deer hunting. Need to justify a new freezer.

BTW, I hope Byron is right about turkey season, especially the hen part.

buzzmcmanus
08-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I hope Byron is right about turkey season, especially the hen part.

Byron's right. I've got the regs in front of me. Blount, Knox County, Limit 1, Dec 6-Dec 17, either sex, shotgun/archery. Page 36

waterwolf
08-26-2010, 06:48 AM
I have had a hard time getting fired up for the last 5 years or so to hunt here in TN. Usually by the time the season opens I am there, and I am shooting every evening now in preparation. The deer hunting I enjoy these days is done on my family property in S. GA, we kill some really big deer and it is always nice to get out of town.

What draws more of attention this time of year is anticipating grouse hunting after Thanksgiving through February, I seem to enjoy that more and more with each passing year.

2weightfavorite
08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
I too love to grouse hunt, however, since moving here from PA I have seen 5 grouse... 2 of those were in the national park! Where in the world do the grouse live in this state!? I hunted hard up at Royal Blue, havent seen one there yet... I have seen a few in the foothills WMA, which is out towards chilhowie and six mile.. But in the last decade in the foothills I have only seen the three... I even hunted them in the snow last season which up north is an automatic flush or two. I hunted for about 5 hours in the snow and never cut a set of tracks.. I guess this year I will have to head towards Crossville..?? Anyway, Some geneal info on the grouse in this state would be appreciated..

Rodonthefly
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
2weight, One place that comes that comes to my mind would be the Sunqest WMA, it's located up around lake city and Briceville. i know of a few guys that hunt up there each year. But I hear they are getting hard to come by there. i personally have never hunted grouse but would love to. That might be worth looking into. if you have a good topo map of the area, look for graves gap moutian.

Crockett
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
2weightfavorite do you live out montvale road (near sam james road country meadows) by chance?

Byron Begley
08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I saw something I've never seen before tonight when I came home. In our field about 50 feet from my truck was a turkey hen and a poult that was very young. It looked to be about 14" tall. This young bird was of the size I usually see in May. There was only one baby. Anyone seen a turkey this small in late August?

Byron

GrouseMan77
08-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I noticed several very small ones in a group of 30 when I was coming through Andersonville about an hour ago.

Rodonthefly
08-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Byron, out on my family farm here in Anderson County, I have seen some poults, however i havn't ever seen just one with a hen. The ones i have seen are also bigger then 14" tall. That seems to be small for this time of year.

2weightfavorite
08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I do live out Montvale road, off of Blockhouse however... Why do you ask?

waterwolf
08-26-2010, 10:51 PM
I too love to grouse hunt, however, since moving here from PA I have seen 5 grouse... 2 of those were in the national park! Where in the world do the grouse live in this state!? I hunted hard up at Royal Blue, havent seen one there yet... I have seen a few in the foothills WMA, which is out towards chilhowie and six mile.. But in the last decade in the foothills I have only seen the three... I even hunted them in the snow last season which up north is an automatic flush or two. I hunted for about 5 hours in the snow and never cut a set of tracks.. I guess this year I will have to head towards Crossville..?? Anyway, Some geneal info on the grouse in this state would be appreciated..
Cherokee NF is a good place to start, try the end towards Newport/Del Rio. I spend most of my time over there, we average moving 5-7 birds per trip. If there is snow on the ground here, stay home. This isn't the north and our birds get unhappy and sneaky quick.

Another area I hear about is around Sneedville, all private land, but knock on some doors, and Big South Fork.

Good luck.

waterwolf
08-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I saw something I've never seen before tonight when I came home. In our field about 50 feet from my truck was a turkey hen and a poult that was very young. It looked to be about 14" tall. This young bird was of the size I usually see in May. There was only one baby. Anyone seen a turkey this small in late August?

Byron
Yes, it is usually the result of either a young hen who nested late, or a hen who lost her first clutch and renested.

Trip
08-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Take a few deer out for me, they seem to have it in for me every morning on my way into work.

Crockett
08-27-2010, 09:26 AM
I do live out Montvale road, off of Blockhouse however... Why do you ask?

Well there is a grouse hunter in my neighborhood (country meadows off sam james) who moved here from PA and was talking to me the other day about how there were just no more quail around to hunt so I thought he might be you. We do live pretty close though I usually go out blockhouse over to rocky branch? to get to the park.

Jim Casada
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Rodonthefly
I guess you could say I am a fairly serious deer hunting, although it is turkeys and trout that combine my soul. I've killed more than 300 deer in my life. That's a lot, but they are very plentiful here and we eat a great deal of venison. Also, my wife Ann and me have written a number of cookbooks in which venison figures in a large way. For one of them we ate venison twice a day for six months while testing recipes. That is a bit more than anyone wants, believe me.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Rodonthefly
08-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Jim, I just took a look at yor web site and it shows that your venison cook book is out of stock. When do you think you might get somemore of those in. I would like a copy of that, for I'm always trying to find new ways to sneek it in a dish or two so my better half dosnt know. haha. Let me know what it is I need to do to get one.

I saw your comment on the elk heard under the smokie section... i'm hear to tell you my friend as long as I have my guns, I will continue to enjoy one of the greatest past times that the good lord as blesse me with and so will my boys. After all i break the law everyday on the way to work by speeding. And as long as my taxes are paid I will do what I wish with my land and the animals that are on it. Not saying I'm going to kill all and when ever I feel like it by no means. So don't take that the wrong way.

Knothead
08-28-2010, 02:21 PM
we ate venison twice a day for six months
Jim, what size rack do you have?

Jim Casada
08-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Rodonthefly--Both of the venison cookbooks are out of print and, incredibly, bring prices of up to $200 (these were comb-bound paperbacks which originally sold for under $15). I do still have Wild Bounty in stock. It contains 50+ of our best venison recipes along with chapters on small game, waterfowl, wild turkey, earth's bounty (fruits, nuts, wild veggies), etc.
Obviously you share some of my perspective on current trends as far as attitudes towards hunters are concerned. I've been a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen all my years, and other than two traffic citations spaced about 30 years apart I've never come close to running afoul of the law. However, I WILL hunt on land I own, I WILL stand staunch on my right to own and use guns (and lead ammo), I WILL fish and occasionally eat fish, and I WILL NOT bend to the mindlessness which now seems to possess our country's leaders.
Call me a survivalist or contrarian if you wish, but I think I have adequate connected to the land skills, and certainly an adequate work ethic, to manage. Apparently a lot of folks are thinkng somewhat like us, because my brother and his wife are looking for a place to settle into for their middle and later years in WNC. They now live in Knoxville but their kids are grown and out on their own. The real estate agent with whom they are dealing says she's seeing far more demand for places with some land and some water than ever before--just in case.
Jim Casada

Jim Casada
08-28-2010, 04:13 PM
John--Man, is that a loaded question. I think I'll answer this way--I'm a wary old buck, past his prime and with his teeth wearing down. To borrow from a country song, "I ain't as good as I once was," and in my case I also ain't as good once as I ever was. But I still can catch trout, shoot several deer each year (bow, blackpowder, and modern rifle), grow a garden, and walk a few mountain miles without flat-out falling out.
My energy and zest for life are at least on the 12-point rack, 170 Boone & Crockett scale.
Jim Casada

David Knapp
08-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Don't know anything about overall population numbers but have seen grouse out in Catoosa...

flyman
08-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't know how anyone could kill these gentle harmless creatures. Years ago I use to hunt and shoot just about anything that had a season. Now I like to just sit and watch, or maybe take a few photos. Besides, you can get all the meat you want from the grocery store. The chain I shop at has a machine that produces meat with a sticker on the package saying no animals were harmed in producing this product.:smile:

Look at this and tell me you could shoot an animal like this. I have given her the guest room at my house just to protect her from the mean old hunters.
http://ww.com/dilliecam?force_resolution=320_240

Jim Casada
08-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Flyman--Like your local grocery store, I too have a machine that produces meat. Indeed, I have several of them--a .30-06, a .243, a .270, a .280, a .308, a .300, .45 and a .50 caliber smokepoles, two compound bows, and for an old man (me) a crossbow. That's just for deer. Best of all though, my product comes without a sticker which bears a price.

It's possible, just possible, I'm a "mean old hunter," but I'd rather think of myself as a nice counterbalance to the lollipop sentimentalists.
Jim Casada

psnapp
08-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Flyman -- I'm with you, my man! Why kill 'em when you can shoot with a 35mm? BTW, nice room for your doe.

flyred06
08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I am pumped this year. I started back with a bow this year for the first time in ten years. I can not wait. To me bow hunting to hunting is like fly fishing is to fishing. It is just enjoyable and back to a more one on one with nature. Now with that said I also got a browning 270 and a cva apex 308 for rifle season. I hope to do well this year.

Jim Casada
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
psnapp--There a simple answer to your question "why kill them when you can shoot them with a 35 mm?' Shoot them so you can eat them. Venison is far healthier than beef, thanks to no infusions of growthhormones, antibiotics, and other stuff. Indeed, it is the only red meat recommended for some heart patients. Add to that overpopulation problems in many areas (including mine--they've devastated my half acre garden the last two years, never mind at least twenty attempted "remedies" which don't work), and the fact that the meat is flat-out delicious (it figures prominently in at least five of the cookbooks my wife and me have written) and you've got reasons aplenty to shoot them.
As for the camera shooting, it's decidedly short on taste:)
Jim Casada

flyman
08-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Jim,
You sure do have a lot of guns:eek: Look at my post one more time, I thought for sure the meat machine with the stickers saying no animals were harmed would give it away for sure.;) Dillie and her buddy were napping on the bed earlier. They are outside playing now. Check back later today and maybe she will be back in her bedroom.

http://ww.com/dilliecam?force_resolution=320_240

Jim, no deer dare come in my garden, I have a 20# mountain fiest that thinks he is Godzilla.:biggrin: Squirrels don't dare visit the bird feeders either. ;)

Crockett
08-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Flyman I just seen that deer in the bed there. Is that thing in your house?

Knothead
08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
flyman, if you are keeping a deer, you might be in violation of state laws. Every state that I have lived in required a permit to keep wildlife. Might want to check on that.

flyman
08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes she is in the guest bedroom, I can't turn her loose, some hunter might shoot her:eek:

Crockett
08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Is she toilet trained and does she have a tv?

flyman
08-30-2010, 07:43 PM
62" HD, and she loves watching Animal Planet:biggrin:

Jim Casada
08-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Flyman--Actually that list was just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to guns. I only list some of the center-fire rifles I own. There's a bunch of rimfires and a sure 'nuff passel of shotguns. Then maybe fifteen smokepoles. A man can never have too many guns, but I will note that a lot a\have come my way over the years by virtue of what I do (swap words, sometimes about guns and often about hunting, for nickels--more like pennies these days).
As for your ungulate friend, make sure she doesn't turn on you. Two local guys once got the bright idea to "rescue" a doe swimming a nearby lake. They got her in the boat all right, but she half killed both of them, knocked a hole in the boat, knocked them both in the lake, and then swam away. Can't trust them dears (or deers)!
Jim Casada

silvercreek
08-30-2010, 07:50 PM
It's getting that time of year for deer. Is she allowed to have bucks in her room with the door closed? Silvercreek

icSpecs
08-31-2010, 12:53 AM
How many of you all deer hunt? Over the years I have hunted I have only missed 1 or 2 opening days of season, I do it all from bow, black powder, to high powered riffles. For some reason I'm not getting as fired up about bow season this year, and i think its due to the heat. So for you hunters are you getting fired up yet?

I'm fired up and now I'm going to be dragging my butt out of bed to get to work since I couldn't stop reading all this witty banter. :rolleyes: A deer in the house, I love to watch them to but the thought of one staring at me when I wake up is a bit much.:biggrin: Jim, I don't know how much it costs to hunt where your at but by the time I buy all my licenses and all the latest gear I could have ate at Howard's Steak House twice a month for a year. Byron, If you like to deer hunt in Kentucky you need to get a buck in velvet in early September but you better have your squito dope. I noticed Crockett didn't say whether or not he was ready; I think hes out catching all the trout while you guys are jawing about deer. :smile: As far as being ready for deer season I haven't even had my fill of squirrel yet.

Jim Casada
08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
icspecs--It's only money, although there's always been so little of it in my family Grandpa Joe insisted on calling it "cash money" (and the redundancy was deserved). Actually, I have a lifetime sportsman's license for both N. C. and S. C., so that's not a factor, and I'm in the fine position of being able to claim any and all sport-related expenses as tax deductions. Beyond that, I'm something of a minimalist when it comes to equipment (what works for deer works for turkeys works for trout in terms of attire), and I've got enough "stuff" to last several lifetimes. Add doing my own butchering (I have a processing machine for burger, cube steak, sausage, etc.) and my costs are pretty minimal. However, I do know that for others that's not necessarily the case.
Jim Casada

JoelO
08-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Is she toilet trained and does she have a tv?

That's a negative on toilet trained question based on the latest web cam shot. :biggrin: