PDA

View Full Version : Humbled on the Caney (08/25/10)

Worrgamesguy
08-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Got up at 9:00 to be there at 11:00 when they shut off the water. Looked at the generation schedule, and they generate from 2:00 to 4:00. DANG! :mad:

So, got there just as they were shutting off the water and fished the falling water. I went down the steps and fished those logs with not even so much as a bump. I fished every color midge I have, which is a lot... Also every color scud I have. I didn't have any more of the cream scuds that I'd been slaying them on unfortunately. Time to make a fly run I guess. Tried using an olive bugger as well.

I did get a brown to scurry after my Royal Wulff indicator, he rose, missed, rose again, and I missed the hookset. I was using my 7 WT which isn't exactly ideal for nymphing. I also got quite the reaction from a green hopper pattern. I fished it like a dry with no results, but once I started twitching it the fish went nuts. A brown came out of the depths unseen and rocketed OVER the hopper, missing it completely. Had a couple fish pound the hopper, but none hooked up.

Still a good day on the water :smile:

gutshot
08-26-2010, 05:26 PM
It is ant season. Size 22-24 in the afternoons.......

crappiecrazy
08-26-2010, 11:14 PM
It is ant season. Size 22-24 in the afternoons.......

Would you please tell me how to fish an ant? I have only fished them in warm water lakes/ponds etc.

Thanks

gutshot
08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Well you kind of cast them out and let them drift drag free in an area with feeding fish......

Worrgamesguy
08-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I was getting ready to say, aren't ants dry flies?