PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow with eggs, 8-25-10

2weightfavorite
08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
So as the title of the post states, I was on the Little River yesterday with some folks, and one of the guys caughht aa nice 11 inch rainbow he wanted to keep. I have no problem with folks keeping fish, so he kept it and I cleaned it for him. As soon as I slit the body open I noticed 2 long pouches of eggs inside the trout. Not only did the fish have eggs which I thought was odd, but the eggs were very developed. Big, round, yellow eggs... I have heard that some strains of bows spawn in the fall, and I have heard that none of our bows are that strain.. Could we actually have a fall spawn of bows in the GSMNP??

ifish4wildtrout
08-31-2010, 06:40 PM
I just gutted 2 rainbows and they both had eggs. Not caught in the GSMNP, but in a NC wild stream.

GrouseMan77
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I caught one in the park two weeks ago with eggs...I ate those too.

NDuncan
09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I caught one in the park two weeks ago with eggs...I ate those too.

Rainbow trout egg omelet?

Bran
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Crappie here on the lakes have egg sacks now that will be laid in March or so but you can tell they don't look as formed when you catch them in the Fall/ Winter as theydo in February.
The eggs are great, you batter and pan fry the whole egg sack or either scramble them with cheese and a scrambled hen egg.

GrouseMan77
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Rainbow trout egg omelet?

Nope, just had them on the side. They seem to make me think more like a fish.

Rog 1
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
50 years ago when I first started fishing in the Park fishing was only allowed from April 15 through September 15...knowing that I have caught fish with mature looking eggs close to each date I just assumed it was to protect that spawning seasons at each end....never could really get an answer to the closed season.

Mundele
09-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Nope, just had them on the side. They seem to make me think more like a fish.

Now that's what I'm missing then. I just need to think more like a fish. Maybe if I ate caviar I'd think like a sturgeon...

GrouseMan77
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Now that's what I'm missing then. I just need to think more like a fish. Maybe if I ate caviar I'd think like a sturgeon...

Be careful to not let your thinking like a fish go too far. We don't need something to get crossed up where the fish start thinking like us. ;)

gutshot
09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I have seen rainbows spawning in November on the Caney Fork. I know these are stocked fish, but it seemed odd. I have also seen brown trout full of huge eggs in late January on the Caney Fork.....

I guess the rainbow trout in New Zealand are spawning soon.....

Knothead
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Many states have a closed trout season. When I lived in Queens, NY, (1962-1965) the season was only open from from April 1 to Sept. 30.

TNBigBore
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
There are certain gentic strains of rainbow that spawn in the Fall. We used to note the same thing on CNF wild trout streams on a sporadic basis. The vast majority spawn in the Spring though.

waterwolf
09-04-2010, 06:19 AM
If they are yellow they are a long way from being ready to go. I don't kill many fish, in fact I never kill fish, so I don't know how early they will carry eggs.