PDA

View Full Version : 8-28 Holston P

Troutman
08-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Spent the day on the Holston P chasing smallies from the canoe. A beautiful day with a few willing fish.
The bass ranged from a couple of little guys like this.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/P8281066.jpg

lots of average size river smallies

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/P8281064-1.jpg

and the best fish of the day was about 15"

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/P8281063-1.jpg

looking forward to spending more days on this river.

tjw37909
08-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Nice bass frontman. Nice meeting you in the shop the other day

Bran
08-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Good fish there Gary, did you use a sink tip with your weighted flies? I've tried both ways on the Roanoke River and don't see a whole lot of difference as far as results although there's a local Smallie outfitter that swears by using sink tips in summertime.

MadisonBoats
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Spent the day on the Holston P chasing smallies from the canoe. A beautiful day with a few willing fish.
The bass ranged from a couple of little guys like this......

Nice fish! I bet that was a blast. I am sure those guys give you a hard fight.

Troutman
08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Good fish there Gary, did you use a sink tip with your weighted flies? I've tried both ways on the Roanoke River and don't see a whole lot of difference as far as results although there's a local Smallie outfitter that swears by using sink tips in summertime.

Bran, I did use my sinktip early morning because the water was still high from the generation during the middle of the night. caught 4 fish pretty quickly with an unweighted white deceiver on the sinktip. Once the water dropped out , I went back to the floating line and usual flies.
I usually have one rod rigged with a sinktip and one with a floater when in a boat. When floating through deep sections or fishing a dropoff below a shoal, the sinktip sometimes works better getting the fly down to those fish . I like an 8wt. for my sinktip or sinking lines.

TJW, good to meet you also. Chad and I hang out occasionaly.

Madisonboats, I fish for bronzebacks almost exclusively from late Feb. till mid Nov. anymore. The river smallie generally does not get as big as the lake smallmouth, but I feel they are so much harder fighters , no matter the size.

Bran
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Gary, I've got some of the RIO and Orvis sinktip leaders, I don't actually have a sinktip line. The local fly shop recommended the Teeny line to me for local river smallies but I still haven't tried it. I've forgotten what weight it was or sink rate but they said it would cast well on my 7 weight rod. They were telling me to get another LA spool for my reel and set it up with that sinking line.
Hopefully the smallies will be gearing up on the Roanoke pretty soon, usually Sept. through October in the sections I fish they do really well.

Troutman
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I tried the loop to loop sinktips but hated the hinging effect when casting them so I talked to a couple of guides that fish streamers alot and they recommended using the orvis gen 3 line. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=94HY&dir_id=758&group_id=10657&cat_id=5402&subcat_id=6009
I've been using it now for about a year and like it so far. I use a 4 ft section of 20lb orvis Mirage tippet to the fly from the line.
I still have a teeny T130 line that I've shortened to about 12ft vs the standard 20ft sinking section. I fish it on 5-6 wt rods.

Bran
08-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I should give that a try, I know these guys really talked like it made some difference but maybe I just haven't stuck wiht it enough. The current is pretty swift where I'm speaking of using it and there are a good many "holes" on the backside of the rocks, etc. that fall off to about chest deep on me. I've had some nice smallies come out of this deep pocket water on crankbaits in my spin fishing days so I've been trying to get the helgramite and crawfish patterns down deeper.

waterwolf
08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
The river smallie generally does not get as big as the lake smallmouth, but I feel they are so much harder fighters , no matter the size.

I disagree on river smallie size ;):biggrin:

Gary, nice fish and sounds like a good day, how was the water temps last weekend? It had been cold as ****, but should have warmed up some.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/grouseboys/sundaysmallies003.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/grouseboys/smallmouth3.jpg

Troutman
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Those are some pretty fish Jim. The lake smallies seem to be fatter like a football rather than the streamlined muscular fish that we catch in our rivers. There seem to be a lot of 5-8pd fish coming out of south holston lake, Cherokee and some of the middle tn lakes over the past several years. especially during the winter using float & fly. I just don't seem to catch any over 20-21" and those are barely pushing the 5lb mark. I see them occasionaly, maybe get a follow, but few commitals.

I was fishing the Holston Proper outside of Church Hill, Tn this weekend. I did not check the water temp. Randy Ratliff was behind me at the takeout. His client boated a nice 17-18" smallie just upstream of me. I think he said the water temps had dropped a little over the past week. I would say high 60s.

br549
08-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Wolf...you should've cropped out that ugly mug. Just kidding...dang nice smallmouth. Troutman...how were the crowds up there. I heard that place was getting some serious love from fisherman this year. Seems it has gotten talked up quite a bit on some of the other local fishing message boards.

waterwolf
08-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Those are some pretty fish Jim. The lake smallies seem to be fatter like a football rather than the streamlined muscular fish that we catch in our rivers. There seem to be a lot of 5-8pd fish coming out of south holston lake, Cherokee and some of the middle tn lakes over the past several years. especially during the winter using float & fly. I just don't seem to catch any over 20-21" and those are barely pushing the 5lb mark. I see them occasionaly, maybe get a follow, but few commitals.

I was fishing the Holston Proper outside of Church Hill, Tn this weekend. I did not check the water temp. Randy Ratliff was behind me at the takeout. His client boated a nice 17-18" smallie just upstream of me. I think he said the water temps had dropped a little over the past week. I would say high 60s.

I haven't fished a reservoir in years for bass, I will take your word for the sizes of those fish. River fish definitely do not have the pot bellies which are found many times on reservoirs, at least in my experience. They just don't have the large forage base available (shad) to put those extra pounds on.

I have wondered how much some of the fish I see landed either by me or someone else each year would weigh in a reservoir. I would have to think they would break 7lbs but not by much, even as river bass we hit 6 lbish several times each summer.

Funny thing about river bass is that both of those fish I posted came from rivers which I have not seen a single fisherman on all summer, pretty amazing if you think about Miller's Island on a Saturday and how many folks are there.

Troutman
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
I very seldom see another fly fisherman on the warm water rivers that I spend time on. I see several spin fishermen in the spring on freestones but it slacks off after the spawn. I see quite a few jet jons on a couple of the tailwaters especially the FB. They are usually fishing the generation and once the water drops, they are gone. Don't know a lot about the Holston Proper out of Kingsport. I've only fished it twice, once with a guide. There are a few prime smallie rivers in the area that I have yet to fish mainly because 90% of the time I'm by myself and shuttles can be a problem. I put in at a launch and paddle upstream and float back.