PDA

View Full Version : A slow Caney Fork

Rainbow Warrior
08-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Got back from a weekend of fishing the caney fork. Started out both mornings at the dam wading untill the generation. After generation we launched and started out with hoppers. We caught a few fish quick and figured that it would be a great day. We had caught fish on midges in the dam pool. We continued drifting and picked up a fish here and there. My dad managed to hook a nice brown briefly right in front of the cliff. After that the catching stopped. Overall it was a slow day. The biggest was a 14" rainbow. We all caught more fish wading by the dam than on the drift. I don't want to say i have lost faith in this river because i have caught several big fish here. It's just it has been so slow the last few times up, which does not make the 3.5 hour drive worth it. :frown:

DBKSTONE2
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
It has been tough but let me throw out a bug to try. I was experiencing similar trouble and then I found some success with a variation of a prototype fly from fly tier magazine. It was a pattern from a "new generation" tier. It was several issues back and had several "new" tiers and creations. Anyway, the fly was tied on a 2xl size 18 nymph hook. The Head/thorax is peacock herl and just below that is two small glass beads pearl or iridescent the body below that is opalescent tinsel and can be wrapped with few twists of x-small silver wire. It looks kinda like a slimmed down brassie only with the addition of 2 glass beads and some flashy tinsel. I picked up some nice fish with this.

psnapp
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
DBK -- tried that pattern on the Caney last Tue. Caught some little "wigglers"on it. The Caney has a ways to come back to its former status as a premier trout tailwater. Hope that it returns to its former status soon ... it was sad to fish it this week and experience the big down turn in fishing quality from days ago.

Phil

DBKSTONE2
09-03-2010, 11:10 AM
DBK -- tried that pattern on the Caney last Tue. Caught some little "wigglers"on it. The Caney has a ways to come back to its former status as a premier trout tailwater. Hope that it returns to its former status soon ... it was sad to fish it this week and experience the big down turn in fishing quality from days ago.

Phil

Psnapp I agree with you. I lament ever trip I go now. The reason I keep going back to Caney is the memory I have of a trip 3 years ago when I had walked down to the "cow pasture" and a storm front blew in. The sky turned black and the winds picked up and put a chop on the water. I was standing on a bar that split the river and I was fishing the small cut side that dumped into deeper water. The browns decided it was time to eat and started moving up out of the deep water and through the small funnel. I stood in a pouring rain and laid waste to some very nice browns. I caught fish one after the other. It will live in memory as the best fishing that I have ever had. There is something to be said about being at the right place at the right time.

Because of that trip I will continue to go back to the Caney. I guess I will hang on until river recovers.

Stonefly
09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
DBKStone2 -

I think I see the fly you're referring to, called the Virus Midge, right?
Looks like it would work for the cream midges I saw yesterday at the Caney.

sb

BlueRaiderFan
09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I think part of the problem on the Caney is that people are midge crazy. Sometimes you have to go with a scud or sowbug. I tie midges, but buy my scuds/sowbugs in many different colors. Not knocking midges. I definitely need to add some variety to my patterns, but get yourself a dozen scuds, two in each color. JMHO.;)

psnapp
09-04-2010, 03:46 PM
BlueRaider -- I'll second that! We checked the grasses and turned over some rocks when we fished there last week, and sowbugs were the dominant insect we found. Unfortunately, I didn't have any sowbugs, and my fishing buddy only had 1. He caught 3 fish to my 1 on it as I only fished midges.

BlueRaiderFan
09-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I saw some red and dark brown/black midges today. Lots of rises. Fish are picky though. Tried everything in the box and didn't catch much. Need to work on my mend a bit.

DBKSTONE2
09-05-2010, 01:34 AM
DBKStone2 -

I think I see the fly you're referring to, called the Virus Midge, right?
Looks like it would work for the cream midges I saw yesterday at the Caney.

sb

Sorry stone I would have gotten back to you sooner but I went to look at a drifter for sale that should have been shot and scuttled verses ever put back on the water.

I have been tying some of these but still have trouble with the **** Peacock herl. Relatively new tyer and still have trouble with proportions and normal complications with herl breaking or not "laying" right. usually 1 out of 3 looks the way I want it to for that pattern. Its really simple but I don't know why its giving me issues.

I may need to give some of the sow/scuds a try for the Caney. Any recommendations for color and size?

DBKSTONE2
09-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Stonefly,

I just had a mental flash for that pattern. I have been tying the herl last. maybe I should reverse the process and do that first and work backwards. The magazine just gives a recipe and no tying instructions. I do know that you have to break your thread and reattach to complete the fly. I may have been doing it from the wrong end.

Just A thought.

Worrgamesguy
09-05-2010, 02:08 AM
I may need to give some of the sow/scuds a try for the Caney. Any recommendations for color and size?

I see you guys have been knocking the midge in here. I have a ton of them, and the fish love them, so why not. Why make life more difficult than it needs to be? :rolleyes:

As far as your question, all the bugs I've seen under rocks are probably sz. 20-22, decently wide (thicker than a midge), and grey.

Stonefly
09-05-2010, 10:00 AM
DBKStone2 -

I was thinking about the steps too, and it seems to me the herl needs to be done last, to avoid having the thread show behind the beads. But I was thinking maybe Ice Dub instead of herl, especially since there is no reinforcement for the herl. How's that sound?

sb

Stonefly
09-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Another point that no one is talking about is the lack of weeds this year. The weed beds at Happy in particular are a fraction of what they've been in years past. Silvercreek has an interesting theory on that...

sb

DBKSTONE2
09-05-2010, 09:06 PM
DBKStone2 -

I was thinking about the steps too, and it seems to me the herl needs to be done last, to avoid having the thread show behind the beads. But I was thinking maybe Ice Dub instead of herl, especially since there is no reinforcement for the herl. How's that sound?

sb

I am going to try the other way and experiment with the Ice Dub as well. Figuring out all the ways to skin a cat is half the fun is tying.

Hey!! "Cat fur to make kitten mittens" I wonder how that dubs??:biggrin:

gutshot
09-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Guys,

Trout see the world from an impressionistic view. You don't need to make the fly very elaborate to get their attention. They can imagine what isn't there such as a shell back on a scud. Make it the right size and color and they will suck it down with reckless abandon.

Said another way, of the fly takes longer than 2 minutes to tie you are tying it for yourself not the fish.........

Oh and use flouro tippet or you are wasting your time..

DBKSTONE2
09-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Rainbow,

I take what I said back. It is very slow on the Caney. I fished the Caney on Friday from 3:00 till 8:00. They did not generate all day (no pulse). I passed several fly fishers on the way out and they said the fishing was S L O W and the bite was on for about an hour 10-11. I went on anyway to the steps. No one was there except a guy I passed at about 400 yrds below the steps. He had no luck so like a sucker I gave him one of my new bugs. He tied it on and caught 2 fish. This is when Murphy's law kicked in. When you give someone a bug and then they proceed to catch fish you are about to be Murphy smacked. We were about 50 yards apart and he yelled thanks and proceeded to leave. Bad luck proceeded from there. The skies opened up and poured for the next 3 hours and I got 5 cell calls from work. The fish never started feeding. Usually I have fantastic luck in the rain. Not Friday. I continued on down past the bluffs to my favorite spot and still no luck. I did manage to fall on the dry river bed at about the apex of my down river travel. The fall was fine its the landing that sucked. I used my knee and hand to absorb most of my fall. My ribs and shoulder took care of the rest.:rolleyes:

If you have to fall why doesn't it happen at the **** truck verses the farthest point from it. I know ask Murphy. Like I said the fish never started feeding and I called it a day after seeing (Drum Roll Please) a BANANA PEEL. The good Lord as my witness I had just made a cast on a rock bar and happened to look down and I started to laugh. That guy I had gave a fly to must have had a banana for lunch and left the carcass there. He must have not known about bananas, boats, and fishing. Ask an old timer about the combination of bananas and fishing. They don't mix. Bad JuJu!

After that I just reeled it in and hobbled my crippled bruised butt back to the truck. NO FISH. PLENTY OF SCRAPES and BRUISES. Teach me to duck out of work early. :frown:

BlueRaiderFan
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
"I gave him one of my new bugs."

We're waiting...:biggrin: (recipe please)

DBKSTONE2
09-12-2010, 07:58 PM
"I gave him one of my new bugs."

We're waiting...:biggrin: (recipe please)

See page one of thread for post.

Fear the banana!

BlueRaiderFan
09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
See page one of thread for post.

Fear the banana!

Ah! I guess I shouldn't skip ahead :redface: Thanks! :smile: