PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Regulations for Striped Bass in Lake Cumberland

kentuckytroutbum
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
KYF&W has issued emergency regulations regarding striped bass in Lake Cumberland proper. Attached is the link: http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=831

Read the regulations very closely. If you're purposely fishing for stripers, you can catch & keep 2. But if you not purposely fishing for stripers, you can keep 5. Go figure this one out! :confused:

"Officer, I swear that I was fishing for smallmouth bass and crappie only"

Bill

Stana Claus
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
The way I read it you can only catch 2 using fishing tackle. But, if you see any floating on or near the surface and you can scoop them up with your landing net or grab them by hand, you can keep up to 5. Now, how they can tell after the fact how the fish were caught, that's a whole 'nother story. I'll leave that to the enforcement officials.

NDuncan
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Why would anyone want to keep a dead floating fish?

kentuckytroutbum
09-02-2010, 02:25 PM
The way I read it you can only catch 2 using fishing tackle. But, if you see any floating on or near the surface and you can scoop them up with your landing net or grab them by hand, you can keep up to 5. Now, how they can tell after the fact how the fish were caught, that's a whole 'nother story. I'll leave that to the enforcement officials.

Stana Claus-

That was my point! They want you to stop "fishing" after two, but its ok to take 5. Personally, I don't want dead or dying fish that I don't know how they died, or of what.

Bill

Stana Claus
09-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe they aren't all dead, just MOSTLY dead. As Miracle Max said in The Princess Bride, "There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do." I'll leave it to you to decide what that one thing would be in this case.

Stana Claus
09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Really though, all kidding aside, it appears that they are concerned about the possibility of having a lake full of dead fish floating around, smelling up the place, and leaving a bad impression on folks. Since they either don't have the time, personnel, or inclination to clean it up themselves, they would like to convince the nice fisherfolk to do their work for them. But they don't want you to know that's what they're doing, so instead of saying, "Hey, if you're out fishing and see some dead stripers floating around would you please scoop them up and haul them off for us?" they pass an "Emergency Regulation" making it "legal" to gather extra fish just so long as you're not "fishing for them". I guess they think fishermen are too stupid to see through their little ploy.

kentuckytroutbum
09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree, they just "masked" their intent in a bunch of beaurocratic goobilagook. They would have been better of just saying the creel limit on stripers has been raised to 5 fish, any method, for the next 30 days or so. Last year, they raised the limit on trout to 10 on the river because of their concern over fish kills due to high temps & low oxygen levels.

Bill