PDA

View Full Version : Best Indicator - IMO

MadisonBoats
09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
I have tried just about every indicator out there and I discovered an efficient gem a few years ago at Hobby Lobby. This material costs $1.99 a pack and lasts a very long time. Plus, it comes in two-color shades. I use the dark green most of the time; however, many of my friends use the light green. There are other colors for foggy conditions.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/assets/item/large/296491.jpg

I just tie in a simple drop knot and pinch off enough material to equate to the size of the nymph. Too much and the indicator will dictate the drift. You can play with it and get a more-vertical effect by pinching some off and rolling it in longer lengths before you tie it on. Also, you can add more buoyancy by rolling it in a length and folding it back over itself.

I hope this helps some of you that may be interested. It works for me on the 'spooky' Clinch like no other....

It comes packaged like the item on the left in this picture.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=521

Hobby Lobby: My favorite color is the dark green-comes with light green.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/felt-works-roving-296491/

I hope this helps some of you if you find it interesting to try....

Crockett
09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Shawn thanks for the tip! I can't help but think the fish in the clinch might think it is a peice of floating didymo which is why they don't get spooked by it lol.

tntom
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks! I have been using strike 2 yarn $4.95 for about a foot of the stuff.
So the dark green works on Clinch trout. I have been told I need to use white, the green will be much easier to see.

Tom

Rick_in_AL
09-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the tip Shawn. I'll be stopping by Hobby Lobby soon...I can't believe I just said that...Usually, my wife has to drag me in there. I bet she will be confused.

gutshot
09-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been using treated Mcfly foam that is sold in Nashville. I will have to purchase some of this wool and try it.

I assume you put silicone or some other water repellent on the wool?

If they sell sky blue give it a try on bright sunny days.....

MadisonBoats
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been using treated Mcfly foam that is sold in Nashville. I will have to purchase some of this wool and try it.

I assume you put silicone or some other water repellent on the wool?

That is the beauty of this product; you can mix and match your colors to suit the conditions. I do not put anything on it and it floats like a charm. The key is pinching off an ample amount of material; rolling it in to a rope shape and tying it in. You can increase the buoyancy by folding it back over-itself. One of my Romanian Friends using the frog powder. But, I have never put anything on it.

Carlito
09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Sweet. I'm all about saving some cheddar. The real question at hand is how much time Shawn is spending in Hobby Lobby ;-)

MadisonBoats
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Carlito,
You would not imagine how much time I spend in that store to suit my creative/inventive spirit.:biggrin:

tntom
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Carlito,
You would not imagine how much time I spend in that store to suit my creative/inventive spirit.:biggrin:

Gotta love Hobby Lobby:biggrin::biggrin:

Tom

DBKSTONE2
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I can't believe how much cheaper stuff is if you buy it from a craft marketing vs. a fly fishing marketing approach. I bought glass beads from the Lobby and for $2.39 a tube I have more glass beads than I will ever tie with. I will probably have to bequeath the tube down to my great grandchildren to get full use of it. Considering most fly tying shops sell the beads by the 25 pack I am getting a bargain.

The only draw back is that some beads are a little out of spec. I say so what. I just cull the odds out and match them up with similar sizes. When you have about 5,000 beads its really not a problem.:eek:

Rockyraccoon
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I wonder if Hobby Lobby has a cool online forum they sponsor for everyone to swap fishing lies and such at?

Not trying to be a jerk or nothing, but some might consider it tacky to drive business to a third party store that has no vested interest in our sport, or those that fund the forums we enjoy.

gutshot
09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I bet a quick thinking fly shop could buy that sort of thing in bulk and repackage it for a tiddy profit while at the same time helping their anglers become more effective at their craft.......

MadisonBoats
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I wonder if Hobby Lobby has a cool online forum they sponsor for everyone to swap fishing lies and such at?

Not trying to be a jerk or nothing, but some might consider it tacky to drive business to a third party store that has no vested interest in our sport, or those that fund the forums we enjoy.

I have had many conversations with Byron about business ideas and such and I doubt he would squander his worries over a few guys chatting up $1.99 wool. I personally have quoted support for LRO in a few of my posts for supporting and maintaining this online forum. Plus, I have ordered online and purchased many of their products. The thing about buying from Hobby Lobby is that it is not marketed as fly fishing material - so, you as the customer takes that risk of wasting money. Whereas; if you buy from a fly shop; you have a better chance of fulfillment by purchasing a product designed for its description. However, it is convenient for some to shop by location versus the limited fly shops. I like Hobby Lobby because the close on Sundays!:smile:

Sometimes people get caught up in micro-managing their lives! Then you lose the inert spirit of living a free life....To each their own I guess.....

tntom
09-08-2010, 04:32 PM

Sorry Byron.:frown:
I bet as long as I buy my rod's and reel's there (and I have bought a few) he let me buy $2.00 worth of wool at HL.

DBKSTONE2
09-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Rocky,

I understand what you are saying but In the last year and a half I bought somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 worth of fly tying materials from LRO when I started tying. New Vise, tools, bulk hooks, furs, feathers, threads, and what not. Thats not counting rod, boots, tippet, C&F boxes, etc.

I don't think that Byron or Paula would want to trade my purchasing history with them for the $20 I spent at the Lobby.

I support my local fly shop and am **** proud to do it! When I make out a Christmas list I just tell family to go to LRO. (I still wind up with socks and they don't dub worth a crap.:biggrin:)

highpockets
09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Gotta try that stuff because I struggle with indicators.

I get LOTS of stuff from the Lobby. I make knives part time so all of that stuff. But for fly fishing I get:

Brass/copper wire for flies
beads (as mentioned)
Rabbit fur (for leeches)
Some feathers

kentuckytroutbum
09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Shawn-

Well said in your post #13! I try to give as much of my business to LRO, and my local fly shop: Forward Cast. And I don't think they begrudge a few dollars spent at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. HL has a FEW things we can use to tie flies, but they will never have the selection that a fly shop will have.

Major fly tying distributors to the fly shops, such as Wapsi, re-package the craft furs (for example) with their label on it called Rumpf, according to my local fly shop!

Bill

psnapp
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Shawn, my friend .... probably not a question of revenue, prior dollars spent with LRO, or relationship with Byron and Paula, but maybe an issue with ethics ... what do ya think?

I thought about mentioning that I bought 4 cannisters of Lefty Kreh yarn from LRO back in the spring ... best indicator yarn I have ever used. Costs quite a bit more ($5 per cannister) than the Hobby Lobby wool, but those 4 cannisters will probably outlast me. But, the difference in dollar outlay is miniscule compared to the other equipment / materials I usually purchase over a 1-2 yr period ... and I am NOT a big-time spender!

Hopefully, no offense, Shawn. I am just surprised that you chose LRO as the forum on which to advertise HL products.

Phil

spotlight
09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Any tips on tying that knot you mention? Hawk showed me once on the Caney but I done forgot I don't get to the tailwaters as much as I'd like but I have a boat now so here I come. And Rocky wth was that post about? Look out Byron Shawn is directing sales to HL...I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and see what types of fly rods they carry.....gheesh

Knothead
09-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Interesting thread! I have the indicators that fold over themselves and one that is made of foam. I don't use them any more. Personally, I don't care for indicators. Fly flingers call them indicators; bait heavers call them bobbers.

MadisonBoats
09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
I thought about mentioning that I bought 4 cannisters of Lefty Kreh yarn from LRO back in the spring ... best indicator yarn I have ever used. Costs quite a bit more ($5 per cannister) than the Hobby Lobby wool, but those 4 cannisters will probably outlast me. But, the difference in dollar outlay is miniscule compared to the other equipment / materials I usually purchase over a 1-2 yr period ... and I am NOT a big-time spender!

Hopefully, no offense, Shawn. I am just surprised that you chose LRO as the forum on which to advertise HL products.
Phil

Well, Phil - take a breath and think about it a second.... I have no connection what so ever to Hobby Lobby. So, I really cannot understand your perspective on me advertising for anyone. How old are you; you may be a little young to under stand social politics in web-forums...?

Maybe you just feel like a fool for spending money on a product that is advertised more than it can produce...? Who knows...? I could care less; my intentions for posting on this forum are to help others and I can guarantee you that I have no financial benefit from anything I promote. Well; my drift boat is pretty dam bad a$$; but, I am only going to let a few of those get out the first few years...

Crockett
09-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Shawn I for one am appreciative that you posted this. It is less about the money to me than finding some creative useful fly fishing thing in some other random place which is pretty cool. I doubt Byron is sitting at home right now reading this and wringing his hands about competing with hobby lobby over yarn sales. I for one would not visit the forum here if we couldn't freely talk about products we have found even if they aren't at lro. I have mentioned other fly shops a few times myself like the one in gburg on here and never felt that the lro guys would be upset. They just aren't like that from what I can tell.

Speaking of other products my friend mundele on the board sent me this link about this "Sporty Girl Foam" that you can use for fly tying the other day. It's a foam wrap that girls use now to tie their hair up with. Not sure if they carry this at LRO but apparently you can find it at "Claire's" at the mall lol. Here is a link to a blog about it:

http://wcflies.com/blog/2008/12/a-girls-secret/

Thanks Matt for letting me in on a girl's secret ;()

Rick_in_AL
09-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I am always thankful for tips and advice on all of the forums I visit. I also appreciate the forum owners, they deserve our thanks and support. Of course, they get a lot of advertising out of the site, and rightfully so, and I am sure if any of us say anything that offends them, they will let us know, that responsibility belongs with them.

I remember when I first started turkey hunting, I had no help at all. It took me three year to understand enough about turkey hunting to kill a bird. Boy, times are really different now with the how to books, the forums and all. I started fly fishing, in May of 2009 and by the end of June 2009 had my first 40 trout day, thanks in part to the knowledge I picked up on forums like this.

Thanks to all of you who are not selfish with your knowledge, and Shawn is one of the best I have found.

Rick

gutshot
09-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I think Rocky did the right thing. This thread has gotten and will get 10x mroe attention because of his negative post and people will find an alternative method of strike indicator. If the wool works catch rates may increase and trout intelligence may surge.

Here here for rocky...

Rocky, I promoted kool-aid as a material dye in the fly tying section. Drink sales may never recover. Which boot on my waders should I put on first?

Grumpy
09-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Rocky

I'll sit in the boat with you on this one. Sure it's only a 1.99 item that 20 people went out to buy which comes to $40 roughly, or a few hours pay for a flyshop employee, or an hour or two towards the electric or water bill, or keeping a forum up & running or ordering that material you can't get at HL................................................ ...........................................ETC

Grumpy

Crockett
09-09-2010, 11:30 PM
People that pay for things never complain. It's the guy you give something to that you can't please. ~Will Rogers

MadisonBoats
09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
People that pay for things never complain. It's the guy you give something to that you can't please. ~Will Rogers

So true bud!

spotlight-Any tips on tying that knot you mention? Hawk showed me once on the Caney but I done forgot I don't get to the tailwaters as much as I'd like but I have a boat now so here I come. And Rocky wth was that post about? Look out Byron Shawn is directing sales to HL...I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and see what types of fly rods they carry.....gheesh

Prepare yourself for a high-end graphical illustration:biggrin::
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=522

pineman19
09-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Prepare yourself for a high-end graphical illustration:biggrin::
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=522[/QUOTE]

Shawn,

Does this knot cause any problems as far a weak spot in the tippet or leader. I'll assume that once you have depth set in one spot that you would need to put on new tippet if you had to change the yarn location as it would kink the tippet.

Neal

waterwolf
09-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Great illustration, and it does cause a weak point after a while of setting the hook on fish. I think the tippet must over time bite into itself and weaken it. Generally it can take 20 fish or so before giving, and it helps to tie it into 4x to prevent premature breakage. Do not tie yarn into 6x, and shy away from 5x as well. JMO.

I personally use Lefty's and have for as long as I can remember, the stuff is fantastic. However, if that stuff works I am glad to know there is something else out there which is effective. I order my Lefty's in bulk and it is pretty cheap ordering it that way, but it still is more expensive then the HL stuff. To each their own, and life is too short to quibble over a **** strike indicator.

gutshot
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM
IMO a better alternative.......I feel the strike indicator acts as a shock absorber with this setup protecting lighter tippet.

Easily moved so that the fly is suspended in the strike zone and the strike zone can be found quickly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Stillinscrubs/IMG_0234.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Stillinscrubs/IMG_0235.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Stillinscrubs/IMG_0236.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Stillinscrubs/IMG_0237.jpg

MadisonBoats
09-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Shawn,

Does this knot cause any problems as far a weak spot in the tippet or leader. I'll assume that once you have depth set in one spot that you would need to put on new tippet if you had to change the yarn location as it would kink the tippet.

NealI worried about this issue in the beginning; but, I have caught in the range of 1-2,000 fish in that past 2 years with this rig and it has never broke at my indicator. I re-tie tippet if I change flies or set ups because I change the amount of indicator I use to float/present the fly. This set up works super fast and keeps you fishing with a variety of indicator variations to meet the size of your nymph. I rarely take/guide people; but, everyone I have shown this set up to; has begged me for my supply and ordered more. Fly fishing is a little easier than we make it at times. If you are interested in dialing in this set up; send me an email and I will explain better. Use what works for your set up. This setup, just helps me catch fish consistently if I nymph on the Clinch.

Some of you do not understand the use of an indicator in the same sense I use them as...I do not use is so much as an indicator; but as a presenter to the focal area of the fish in the feeding lye....Please email me if you have questions...I use 5x tippet for all of my indicator use except for above the weir pool.....

Rick_in_AL
09-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the drawing Shawn. I'll give it a try as soon as I can get back on the water.

Rick

spotlight
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Gutshot that is the knot Hawk showed me on the Caney a huge thanks to both you and Shawn!! for this post.

flyman
09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Try a clove hitch for attaching yarn indicators. I like to use the Skip's twist on foam type most of the time. East to get on and off, and easy to move up and down, and best of all, the two colors are easy to see in varying water and light conditions.. They come in different sizes, are almost weightless, and don't affect my cast too much.

I found myself getting lazy and not adjusting the knot up and down like I should when I used yarn. I also don't like having to grease it up to keep it floating. I also use the Loon Bio Strike paste for very small flies like midges. I put 2 or 3 very small pieces on instead of one big one.

Mundele
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
I heard of folks using yarn as an indicator but that guy uses the whole darn sock!

BTW that knot is called the Marlinspike Hitch. Easy to tie, the indicator yarn takes the place of the "marlinspike".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinespike_hitch

--Matt

BTW Crockett... you're welcome for that "girl's secret"

waterwolf
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
I hope we are not heading to a knot discussion, if so what has the world come to?:biggrin:

psnapp
09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
WW -- Why knot? We've beat each other up over most everything else!!

MadisonBoats
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
I heard of folks using yarn as an indicator but that guy uses the whole darn sock!

OK, that was dang funny... Actually, it was very good illustration of an excellent knot and I appreciate [gutshot] taking the time to share it with others and to illustrate how to tie it.... But, your comment did make me laugh...:biggrin:

waterwolf
09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
WW -- Why knot? We've beat each other up over most everything else!!
Oh I have no beef with any particular knots, just can't think of anything more mundane to discuss then freaking knots.

Love the pun BTW.

gutshot
09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
I would like to clear up one gross misstatement. My photos involved a glove and not a sock. While I understand in some parts of Tennessee the wearing of socks and other undergarments is not well received and individuals from these regions have limited undergarment identifying capacity, it was in fact a green glove.

That is all.

psnapp
09-15-2010, 05:49 PM
OK, Gutshot! I know you are not talking us ridge-runnin' hillbillies here in East Tenn ... cause we do (now!) wear socks and Under Armour! Guess we sometimes can't tell the diff in those new-fangled gloves and socks that Woolrich is puttin' on the racks ... oh well, like I said, I know you ain't talking about us East Tenn boyz! Good indicator rig illustration BTW.

MadisonBoats
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I would like to clear up one gross misstatement. My photos involved a glove and not a sock. While I understand in some parts of Tennessee the wearing of socks and other undergarments is not well received and individuals from these regions have limited undergarment identifying capacity, it was in fact a green glove.

That is all.

Yo got me right on bud. I hate wearing socks and I try to get away from it as much as possible:biggrin: I did give you props on your illustration of your knot. Good Job and thanks for sharing and helping others!:smile:

peytoncreekhunter
09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Try these as indicators. Just thread them on your line and stick a toothpick cut to size in the hole to the depth you want to fish. As you need to change the depth just remove the toothpick and adjust. You can choose which ever color pattern you like the best.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001810110801a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=livebait+floater&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

gutshot
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
The toothpick can really damage the line strength, just an FYI.

MadisonBoats
09-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I really have never been a big fan of the toothpick wedges. The knot I described puts a weak point in your rig; but, I have never had any break. Also, it seams to give me a nice drop in relation to the tippet. I would say it creates almost a 90 degree angle drop in your indicator/float rig and reduces the indicator from dictating the drift. Just some of my observations and why I like it. The key is to just put enough indicator to equate the lift of your midge. Too much and it will be moving your rig all over the place.

waterwolf
09-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Yep, and those indicators have a nasty plop which spooks fish when they hit the water from my experiences, and they cast like crap. To each their own, and if it works for you then have at it.

gutshot
09-18-2010, 10:08 AM
The knot I described puts a weak point in your rig; but, I have never had any break.

That is why I posted the pictures. I feel that the connection I showed is the best of both worlds since it is easy to move and I feel does not weaken the line as it will move at the strike and tighten on the indicator which absorbs some of the shock.

I don't like to use it on less than 5x because the incidence of tangles and breakoffs goes up, but I fished it for a long time using 6x and caught thousands of fish. I just found if I extended the 5x out and only ran fluorocarbon after the indicator in 6,7, or 8x that my landing success on larger fish increased several percentage points, and more importantly I lost a lot fewer flies.