PDA

View Full Version : Winter gear?

Knik
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Since this is my first season fly fishing and the fact that I'm hooked, thought I might try and pick your brains for info on waders and jackets. I'll mainly be in the park with a few trips to the Clinch, I do get hot fairly easy too. Any favorites for winter clothing and waders?

kentuckytroutbum
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Knik-

Welcome to you as a new fly flinger! Its a great sport, and something that you can do almost year around.

As far as winter gear, the best thing to do is dress in layers that you can add to, or take off as the need arises. I wear a set of Simms G3 breathable stockingfoot waders yearround, over wool socks, polartec fleece underwear pants & pullovers, jeans, turtleneck shirts, and a good Gortex fishing jacket, and a felt hat. The water will feel like ice water, so wear some thin neoprene gloves such as you will find at a scuba diving shop. Be prepared for rain or snow and wind, and watch out for hypothermia. In winter, that is a real danger, especially if you get wet. If you do get soaked, have a change of dry clothes in your vehicle.

Avoid heavy bulky clothing, as you can get overheated and sweat, which can lead to hypothermia also. Also, makes it difficult to cast with heavy clothing.

I'm sure that others will chime in, but my method works for me.

Tight lines

Bill

The Principal
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I also wear breathable waders, woolsocks with sock liners, mid weight or polar tech underwear with a nylon fishing shirt, fleece jacket and I wear fleece wader pants or micro tech fleece hunting pants. All of these breath and allow mosture to pull away from the body and this type clothing does provide some warmth even when wet. I don't wear any cotton in the winter anymore because it holds mosture and does not maintain warmth. A gore tex rain jacket is also good to wear over a fleece jacket or vest.

ifish4wildtrout
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I'll add a ski mask. Helps when it's so cold the guides on your rod are freezing, your fly freezes, and the wind is blowing 30 MPH gusts. It can get cold out there, I can never keep my feet warm.

Knik
09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys, that's kinda what I thought but wanted to make sure, before I started buying a bunch of stuff.

Thanks again.....
Shannon

kentuckytroutbum
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Knik-

When you're shopping for outdoor wear, don't let cost drive your selection. You don't want to overspend, but buying good gear that will keep you warm, dry, is durable, and lasts a long time is a good investment. It will be cheaper in the long run to buy quality stuff. In today's economy, we all are watching our dollars, but value will last a long time, and you won't replace it as often.

Nothing will ruin a fishing or hunting trip faster than being cold, wet, & miserable. Hard to catch fish while sitting in your car or truck with the heater on full blast, trying to defrost your frozen appendages!

Knik
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I've found that to be true with most things, you get what you pay for. That's why I always try to do some research before making a purchase. Got to find a good wading jacket now, I think I can cover the other stuff with what I have for duck and deer hunting.

Thanks again for the advice!

DannyV
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Feature to dollar ratio the L.L. Bean Stowaway owns. I did my research. I love this jacket. Gore-tex with fishing specific details like ruberized cuffs, net ring in back, hood with bill, HUGE pockets, lined hand-warmer pockets, and attachment loops. Plus it packs light and small for your bag. 150 Bucks. It is really hard to beat.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36449?pi=539132&qs=3012739-Google_Base&subrnd=0

Knik
09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks Danny, I'll make sure and check it out!

Do you guys know of one that the hood comes off, or do all of them have built in hoods? Hoods seem to give me tunnel vision, can't stand them.

kentuckytroutbum
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Knik-

Just about all of the good Goretex jackets have a non-detachable hood. You don't have to have the hood "up" all of the time obviously, but if it starts to pour rain, you'll appreciate it. To me the value of a hood is to keep water from running down your neck and soaking your clothes and you.

I guess you could always cut off the hood (neatly) and then sew velcro on the jacket & hood so you could attach it later.