PDA

View Full Version : Sewage in the park?

Trip
09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I took my dad up below elkmont this weekend to get him interested in fly fishing. I thought it would be a good spot cause its open and not a lot of climbing plus 441 was shutdown for the camper fire.

Well anyway we got to fishing and was walking upstream when we both smelled what can only be described as raw sewage. Well we are both sick as dogs now. Thinking maybe a camper dump their sewage in the river. Any one else experience anything like this?

NDuncan
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I never have experienced anything like that. I seriously hope that your theory is incorrect, but sadly it wouldn't really surprise me if there was someone that would do that.

jeffnles1
09-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Over the years, I've seen enough that there is little that humans can do that shocks me any more. I've never seen anything like that but thinking some camper ran a black water hose over the hill or pulled along side the road and dumped their tanks is not beyond the realm of possibility.

The world is full of idiots and public places seem to attract more than a fair share.

Carlito
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Cousin Eddy musta been at Elkmont last weekend.

Knothead
09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I would report it. If there is sewage in the water, swimmers could have a rough time with E. coli infection, even could be fatal. My son and I fished the Conasauga River where it loops from Georgia into Tennessee. A patch of woods was used as a toilet; not covered up but left on the ground. I laugh when I think of people using the woods then a fly lands on their sandwich!

Hoosier
09-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Definitely report even if it has been a few days. Not sure if the have a dump station there or not but if they do, maybe there is a problem there.

Knothead, that is exactly what I saw a #18 West Prong this summer when I took my family through there for a day hike. I couldn't beleive it. not more than 30 feet from a standing tent.

Mundele
09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I often see big piles right in the middle of the trail. Come on.. you can't walk 20 ft into the brush before you let that stuff fly?

GrouseMan77
09-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I often see big piles right in the middle of the trail. Come on.. you can't walk 20 ft into the brush before you let that stuff fly?

I wonder if there has ever been a study done on the number of under garments and socks that get left behind each year.

I would also report it.:mad:

Crockett
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah I can never understand whats with all the underwear left around. This may be opening up a can of worms but why do you suppose so many folks are taking off their panties next to the creek and leaving them there?

Knothead
09-08-2010, 08:30 PM
why do you suppose so many folks are taking off their panties next to the creek and leaving them there?
No toilet paper! I saw a saying for Hunter Ed classes regarding poison ivy: Three leaves and shiny, not for your hiney!:biggrin:

Grannyknot
09-09-2010, 08:13 AM
...... why do you suppose so many folks are taking off their panties next to the creek and leaving them there?

Two words....Sacrificial underwear.

duckypaddler
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Two words....Sacrificial underwear.

You sound like a man with experience:biggrin:

I prefer the biodegradable toilet paper myself:rolleyes:

jeffnles1
09-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Sacrificial Underware:
Now, I have an image indelibly etched in my mind that I wish wasn't there. Thanks guys!:smile:

Grannyknot
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Sacrificial Underware:
Now, I have an image indelibly etched in my mind that I wish wasn't there. Thanks guys!:smile:

Hey...it can be your best friend and worst enemy at the same time.
And no, I'm not a fan of the practice. I carry a nice fluffy roll of 2 ply with me (along with a small folding trowel). Grouseman can attest to the fact that on a certain Deep Creek trip, Bryson City thanked me for having that trowel. ~:eek::redface:

:biggrin:

mcfly
09-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Sounds like some of you need to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-****-Woods-Second-Environmentally/dp/0898156270

jeffnles1
09-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey...it can be your best friend and worst enemy at the same time.
And no, I'm not a fan of the practice. I carry a nice fluffy roll of 2 ply with me (along with a small folding trowel). Grouseman can attest to the fact that on a certain Deep Creek trip, Bryson City thanked me for having that trowel. ~:eek::redface:

:biggrin:

OK, I won't tell you all how I lost my brown jersy gloves on a deer hunt...:eek:

Jeff

beachbum
09-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Watch out for hogs.:biggrin:

Trip
09-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Sorry I didn't get back in awhile. Started feeling a lot worse and pretty much didn't leave the recliner for 4 days until I got a spider bite and had to go back to the doctor, but luckily I was already on very high doses of antibiotics and didn't really have to change much. What a horrible week....

I will try and report it, don't know if they will find much now though.

Fly Fisherman 1
09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I have smelled sewage below the campground several times this summer. I just thought that they might be having problems with the treatment facility.

sammcdonald
09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
too many people dump waste where they want....too few enforcement rangers

pineman19
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I didn't think they had sewage treatment in the Park, correct me if I am wrong Sam. I figured they piped the stuff outside of the Park to be treated.

Neal

Carlito
09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Give me a hickory stick and a deputy badge and I'll gladly help with enforcement duty! :mad: