PDA

View Full Version : need camping advice for park

buckeyetrouter
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
OK.......so our Men's group at church has decided that we need to do a camp trip and they prefer the Smokies (I understand why). For some reason I was chosen to plan this event (that will teach me to be absent). Anyways, I figure we will number around 12-15 and probably looking at a Thurs thru Sunday event. I know we could get spots in Elkmont and I'm kinda leaning that way so I can get reservations after first of year, but a few have suggested a hike in site. My question is this: is there a hike in site that can handle 12 +/- campers? Also we have narrowed the dates to April or May 2011(i'm leaning towards may- close to Troutfest:biggrin:). Weather wise what would be the better month to bring the group down? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

NDuncan
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Most campsites are maxed at 8 or 12 total, but there are some that are up to 20. For a group that size, it probably would be better to stay at a front country site such as elkmont, since from there there a wider variety of directions people can go to spread out and fish. Look at the backcountry trail map on the parks website (pdf)

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf)

to see which sites have the right capacity and which you can reserve (a necessity if you have that big of a group, for sure). You probably have a better idea of what the group will want in terms of fishing (chance for big browns, catching a slam, specs only, etc) and what they are willing to do in terms of hiking distance and difficulty and would use Joe Freds maps and Jim Casada's book as a reference to see what best meets your criteria.

Crockett
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
They limit backcountry (walk in) sites to 8 people in a group so even if they site holds 12 or more you can't bring in more than 8 folks so that won't work. With that many I think I would look at getting a group site at Elkmont, Smokemont, or someplace. Another thing is you can't stay more than 3 nights at a single backcountry campsite but you are still right under that limit. I spend a lot of time at backcountry campsites and have rarely seen a single group as large as 8 with the exception of some of the ones you can boat up to over on fontana. Personally I think Elkmont has the best group camping area and lots of easy access to trails, the little river, and jakes creek for fishing.

spotlight
09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
I would suggest a frontcountry group campsite at either Elkmont or Smokemont or even Deep Creek.

Hey Adam, the weather is getting nice lets keep fingers crossed for some rain so we can hit the backcountry again.

Crockett
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I would suggest a frontcountry group campsite at either Elkmont or Smokemont or even Deep Creek.

Hey Adam, the weather is getting nice lets keep fingers crossed for some rain so we can hit the backcountry again.

Yeah Kevin lets go! I was starting to think you wouldn't leave that new native watercraft to get back on the stream hehe. Looks like you had fun on the AT this weekend. I was in Cataloochee front country camping.

flyman
09-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Cataloochee has a great group camp. It's right along the creek and is about a half mile off the main road. It has a gate that can be controlled so that only your group can drive down to the site. Plenty of room for a group twice your size. By far the nicest group camp in the smokies to me, it only has pit toilets and a few tables, but it is a large open area with campsites in the wood line.

Speckleman5
09-11-2010, 02:13 PM
They took the gate down, and if I am not mistaken I think they put in bathrooms. By far and away my favorite group site though.

tntom
09-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Bob, this is tntom from CFF. What ever you deside I would like to meet up with you guy's at least for one day. Also if I can be of any help here in east TN let me know.

Tom

Owl
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm with Flyman on Cataloochee. I believe that water gets less pressure than many park streams, too.

My second choice( a very close second) would be Smokemont. I just love that campground because Bradley Fork flows right through it, and you have trail access to the upper part of BF, too. And, you're just minutes ( as in two) away from great water on the 'Luftee, too. And then, there is Peter's Pancakes. :) LOL

pineman19
09-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Owl,

Good call on the pancakes. Had a stack of blueberry cakes around 6 weeks ago when I stayed at Smokemont. Bradley is one of my favorite streams in the Park. I don't fish it often due to the longer drive, but always enjoy that area. Straight Fork is not to far away either, well worth a shot as well IMO.

Neal

flyman
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
I love me some pancakes, I'll have to try Pete's out the next time I'm over that way.:biggrin:

buckeyetrouter
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
hey Tom........I would really enjoy getting to meet you and even having you into our group if you like. This group will not all be fly fishers, but will probably try a little bit of everything in the short time we are there. We will have two agendas during this trip.....1) Glorifying God 2) to show the men of our church that Christian Men are not boring and sissys, but that we are them, and we have chosen to be in an authentic relationship with our Lord and Savior while enjoying the resources that He has given to us.

Everyone, thanks for the input and I agree that Elkmont, Smokemont or maybe even one of the camps around Townsend would be best (this would allow time to get one of those incredible roast beef & swiss sandwiches at the 66 station :smile:) This is not just a fly fishing trip, but I intend to bring 4 extra fly rods & reels in case someone gets the itch......Thanks Everyone

Bob

Owl
09-19-2010, 03:13 AM
buckeye, you might enjoy this forum if you don't know about it already: http://cff1611.proboards.com/index.cgi

I appreciate your "agendas" and if I can help you with info or whatever, feel free to PM me. I'm in Georgia, but I know the east side of the park fairly well, including the area's Delayed Harvest water which can put you on some really nice, big, fat trout from fall until late spring.

At least you've got plenty of time to plan it. :)

buckeyetrouter
09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
thanks Owl.....i've been posting (minimally) on CFF for a few years now and really cherish the opportunity there......I use the same name there as I do here.....

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob