PDA

View Full Version : Todd's Wiggle Minnow

Stonefly
09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Anyone tie these? Where do you get the foam? I've tried the conventional and unconventional places and no luck. Might help to know what the generally accepted purpose of the foam is, might know better wehre to look. I'm assuming it comes in a piece of some length.

steve

Stonefly
09-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I found info on Hatches magazine website, and apparently Wapsi makes a 3/8" cylinder. Ck'ing with Daniel to see if LRO has it.

D-Drake
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Steve,
We carry the 3/8" foam cylinders and several different colors. We have other sizes too but 3/8" is the one for the wiggle minnow. Most people use white and then color it with the Prismacolor markers.

Daniel

Stonefly
09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Daniel -

I just e-mail'd you. Thanks much.

steve

DarrinG
09-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Wapsi indeed sells 3/8" foam cylinders, as well as other sizes such as 5/16". I fish a WM alot and like them.
I've used a bunch of it, but now make my own cylinders out of foam.
I had a custom set of stainless steel punches made that fit into a standard drill chuck. Buy a bunch of flip-flop shoes at the end of summer on sale for a buck or three a pair in lots of different colors and you can drill your own endless supply of foam cylinders in whatever colors you want.
I think you can buy foam punches from places like Northern Tool, etc. Not sure what sizes they come in though. I have a good friend who is great at fabricating things and he made me a complete set in varying diameters to fit a standard drill.

I call this one a "Lime" Wiggle Minnow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/DarrinG/Fly%20Tying%20Stuff/Green-WM002.jpg

Stonefly
09-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Darrin -

I ck'd the Northern Tool website and found a set that might be right, but I'm thinking maybe I should go to local hardware store where I can see what I'm looking for.
I've seen plenty of articles talking about use of flip flop material, but wasn't registering with me that it would work for the WM.
'apprciate the input.

steve

flyman
09-13-2010, 11:15 PM
I've been meaning to tie up a few of these. I think I'll have to go with the pre cut cylinders though. My wife won't allow me to have power tools or sharp objects in the house any more.:eek:

Stonefly
09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Yo Flyman -

If you end up with more than you can use, let me know and I'll take some off your hands. :smile:

steve

Randy Ratliff
03-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Mundele
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Wanting to tie up some of these to use locally, but I only want to get the stuff to tie up one color. what color scheme would you guys get the stuff to tie, if you were only going to tie one color?

--Matt

Maurer
05-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I've never tied these myself, but I've fished the fire tiger and shad color for smallies with success. The rainbow and brown trout colors work great on the tailwaters.

Couldn't you just make white ones and then color them with permanent craft markers?

Wade Blevins
07-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I have a few of these and can honestly say I don't fish them because the leaders kept twisting up horribly. I considered putting on a swivel just to keep from twisting so bad. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to go heavier than a 2x leader? I wouldn't think so. Just curious about how you guys are retrieving or fishing this fly?

No Hackle
07-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Wade I use a swival and a larger one at that. I put it about 18" above the fly. It kinda noses the minnow down and it will start running quicker. I don't carry a sinking line and this is how I combat that. You can even add some shot above the swival for deeper water.
Lynn

DarrinG
07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I tie my WM's to the tippet with a loop knot. It gives the fly a little more freedom of movement. As far as twisting the leader, I dont have much of a problem with it. Occasionally I will lift the fly and leader out of the water and allow it to untwist on it's own if it seems to be twisting during the cast. I've landed more smallies on the WM pattern in the last 2-3 years than all other patterns combined.