PDA

View Full Version : Where do you eat on the way to fish the park

Crockett
09-14-2010, 08:23 AM
For selfish reasons I am posting this so hopefully I can find some other good places to eat when I am fishing different parts of the smokies. Not trying to promote any particular restaurants nor do I own stock in any just trying to find out where you all think is the best places to grab some food in Townsend, Cherokee, Bryson City, Gburg, Cosby, etc when fishing or after fishing. The idea came to me cause someone mentioned Pete's pancakes in Cherokee on another thread here lately and someone else mentioned great sandwhiches at a 66 gas station. I know where Pete's is but don't know about the other.

Rog 1
09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
When I am visiting up there the first day is generally one of the pancake log cabins for a country ham breakfast....when time is an issue I am partial to McDonald's country ham biscuit...not bad for fast food...and something they don't serve here in Florida

BlueRaiderFan
09-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I like Riverstone on the right as you are going into Townsend from the park. It's after the KOA campground, I think.

Trip
09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Townsend

Mrs Lily's is my #1

The BBQ place attached to the tubing place on the left just after the redlight where it goes to two lane highway heading into the park is delicious. I think the tubing place is River Rat.

Riverstone is good too.

On the North Carolina side, if you got time go to Franklin, NC. It's well worth the drive. In the middle of town there is a Hot Spot gas station. Attached to that gas station is a small cafe called Caffe REL. Best restaurant in this area bar none. The guy uses a lot of different sauces and has some really fancy dishes for reasonable prices. You would never imagine it's connected to a gas station. The bread they fly in from Canada with that sauce is delicious too. The homemade chocolate cake is awesome.

RFork
09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Full Service BBQ in Maryville is my favorite place to go on the way back to Knoxville.

Crockett
09-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Riverstone and Miss Lilly's are my #1 and #2 favorites in Townsend too but lots of times I go for just quick at the Subway or Burgermaster but don't like them as much . Miss Lilly's has a great sunday brunch thing that is really nice.

When I am fishing over in Cataloochee I love the Maggie Valley Restaurant. It is always real crowded on the weekends with locals and lots of good country cooking there. Hamburger steak with gravy, some awesome mac and cheese (they run out quick) and great rolls.

NDuncan
09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I almost exclusively have gone in through townsend I really like Little River BBQ (the one mentioned attached to the tubing place) - (let them talk you into one their cobblers, worth it no matter how full you are, IMO)but will probably be shutting down for the season in the next couple of weeks. They are nice people, and semi-regularly take trips down to Texas (where I'm from) to sample various BBQ joints down there which is how they perfected their brisket. I don't think anywhere I have eaten in TN has brisket that is that good (if they even serve it), since pork is the usual BBQ here. If you really like pork BBQ, its good, but not special or out of the ordinary.

Riverstone has great food- really good breakfast.

I have eaten at AJs, esp in the winter, but it is not my favorite. I don't know if they still allow smoking inside, but the last time I ate there i feel like everything kinda had an ashtray like after taste. Other times I have been there and really enjoyed it. The back porch restaurant is OK, but not my favorite for the price.

I know I have eaten at several other Townsend eateries, but can't think of them right now.

kentuckytroutbum
09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
All this talk about food is making me hungry! I believe I will eat an early lunch. ;)

Bill

Crockett
09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
RFork have you tried the banana pudding at Full Service BBQ in Maryville it is the best.

Jim Casada
09-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Crockett--Yours is a sort of "wide open" question in that you don't establish any parameters on your food expectations--stomach stuffers? price the key factor? quantity? type of attire? As someone who has written a bunch of cookbooks my thoughts obviously go beyond filling my pie hole to other factors.

With that out of the way, I can speak with some authority on Bryson City. If you just want a burger or something similar, Na'Ber's, located on old U. S. 19 about a mile and a half on the road to Cherokee, is in a class by itself (and very reasonable to boot--McDonald's and Burger King aren't in the same league). Pasqualino's, located near the square, has wonderful Italian food at reasonable prices and the quantities are enormous. I'm a pretty decent trencherman and I always need a take-out box. The Cork & Barrel on the square is a new place specializing in crepes, and it's first-class. For breakfast or lunch, Everett Street Diner is hard to beat (they aren't open at night). If you are in a hurry and just want a lot of food for your dollar, the offerings at Ingle's in the hot foods/deli section fit the bill. There are other places as well, but of those i've tried (and that's most of them), the ones mentioned above come out on top.
In Cherokee, the restaurant in the Holday Inn (Chestnut Leaf or something like that) is quite good, and for all-you-can-eat home cooking Granny's Kitchen up the Soco Road is a good choice.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)
P. S. Out Nantahala way there's Nantahala Inn and Relia's Garden (or is it Kitchen?).

buckeyetrouter
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
as for Townsend......there are some good ones but here is my list:

Breakfast or dinner: Riverstone
Dinner (to relax): Timbers (good prime rib)
quick lunch: roast beef w/ swiss on dark hogie bun at 66 station (Wonderful)

one thing I must do for each visit to Townsend is make a stop at the 66 station for that roast beef sandwich, the owners there seem like great people!!!!

now.......off to lunch here in Ohio....
Bob

Crockett
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Jim I was just meaning any place irregardless of price, attire, etc that you like to stop at before or after fishing that is near the park. Trying to add a few more hidden favorites to my list. Maybe you or Fred could include some of these places in your publishings to help others out although restaurants sometimes can be gone before the printing is over I guess.

I have always wanted to stop at Na'bers in Bryson City and now I will do definitely do that next time I am there. In the past I have ate at the Bojangles or Jimmy Mac's and was looking for something different over there. Doesn't seem to be much that is good in Cherokee but I will check out that Granny's Kitchen place. In the past there I just go to the KFC buffet which isn't of the highest order as far as quality ha.

Buckeyetrouter I have been in that 66 station many times and never noticed they had food there. I will add that roast beef with swiss to my list for sure.

Mundele
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Full Service BBQ in Maryville is my favorite place to go on the way back to Knoxville.

Heck yeah! I LOVE me some full service barbecue. Their sauce is excellent. be sure to order extra.

--Matt

Dawgvet
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
I must say that for a country breakfast, there is a little resturant out 321 headed out of Gatlinburg near the city hall that has a great country ham breakfast. The ham comes from Benton Hams which is near Madisonville, TN off 411. Theirs is some of the finest cured pork I have ever eaten. This is a small, family owned outfit that supplies resturants but also sells to the public. If you like ham, fresh bacon, sausage, etc, check them out.

The Principal
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
If in G'Burg The Pancake Pantry is great!!

Vern
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
If you like burgers, I mean huge burgers, "Wings Are Us" in Townsend have the best. I have never had thier wings, but the burgers are great. Gaintfish is an burger expert, and the "big mouth" is his favorite of all time, Dad's now ranks 2nd or third, good thing he has moved into a dorm, no more dad burgers for him!

pmike
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Gatlinburg : Best Italian located in next to the Moose lodge has some of the best pizza or anything else, especially their garlic rolls. Clahouns salads and buirgers are pretty good and very filling.

Townsend: We like Back Porch for their vegetables, Miss Lilly's is also very good. and out Wears Valley Rd, the Something Bear Grill, the place on the right as you are driving from Townsewnd toward Pigeon Forge has a pretty decent breakfast.

Mike

PS: Been wanting to try Nabor's sincer reading about it and don't know the name but got a decent BBQ sandwich once at a place in Bryson City near the train depot.

MadisonBoats
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Crockett--Yours is a sort of "wide open" question in that you don't establish any parameters on your food expectations--stomach stuffers? price the key factor? quantity? type of attire? As someone who has written a bunch of cookbooks my thoughts obviously go beyond filling my pie hole to other factors.

With that out of the way, I can speak with some authority on Bryson City. If you just want a burger or something similar, Na'Ber's, located on old U. S. 19 about a mile and a half on the road to Cherokee, is in a class by itself (and very reasonable to boot--McDonald's and Burger King aren't in the same league). Pasqualino's, located near the square, has wonderful Italian food at reasonable prices and the quantities are enormous. I'm a pretty decent trencherman and I always need a take-out box. The Cork & Barrel on the square is a new place specializing in crepes, and it's first-class. For breakfast or lunch, Everett Street Diner is hard to beat (they aren't open at night). If you are in a hurry and just want a lot of food for your dollar, the offerings at Ingle's in the hot foods/deli section fit the bill. There are other places as well, but of those i've tried (and that's most of them), the ones mentioned above come out on top.
In Cherokee, the restaurant in the Holday Inn (Chestnut Leaf or something like that) is quite good, and for all-you-can-eat home cooking Granny's Kitchen up the Soco Road is a good choice.
Jim Casada
P. S. Out Nantahala way there's Nantahala Inn and Relia's Garden (or is it Kitchen?).

Added this post to my notebook...

flyman
09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I love Granny's kitchen:biggrin:

tlshealy
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
My wife and I have to eat at the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge, we do lunch usually with boxes to go, then I go work off the roast beef and potatos on greenbrier for then rest of the afternoon, then left overs for supper.
Tad

Crockett
09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Mike is that Italian place in gburg right across the street from the Alamo steakhouse (another good place but expensive) called Ogle's Brick oven pizza? I have ate there once and it was good. At least as far as italian places in gburg go.

When I am fishing greenbrier I usually go get a cheeseburger from the Cobbly Knob store just up 321 toward cosby about 4 miles from the greenbrier entrance. Really good burgers there and I wish it were in Townsend.

Flyman I have driven by Granny's kitchen on my way to maggie valley from cherokee but never stopped. Thanks for the tip!

pmike
09-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Here's a link to their site. The name is "Best Italian" and it's tucked back in next to the Elk's Lodge in "Elk's Plaza" about a block away from Calhouns, heading toward Pigeon Forge. I have been going there at least once, if not twice during our trips up that way since my oldest daughter was about 7. She is almost 30, but don't let her know I told anyone.

Bubba Gumps in Gatlinburg has some of the best "Shrimp n Grits" this ole Florida boy has ever had in his mouth. Never thought I'd say that aboput any place found north of Georgia!

Mike

LINK ADDED: http://www.bestitalian.com/

SmokyMt4runner
09-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Many great choices in Gburg.....

Calhouns
Smky mt brewery....Good micro brews...ok food...great karma.
Cherokee grill
Park grill

and the Peddler is always good.

Best Italian is VERY good.

Plus there is a certain bartender in the burg, that is Fly-fisherman friendly...:cool:

Cheers

Streamhound
09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Townsend: The 66 station early in the am for the country ham biscuit.. Brushing crumbs off me before heading in the LRO to buy my fly offerings for the weekend

GBurg:Best Italian is really a bargain. All of the entrees serve two hungry folks
I have been ordered when driving back to KY from work in NC to swing over and get the "death by garlic poisoning rolls" What a way to go!

PB&J for the stream-side. When I was out in Wyoming all of the lunches were more grand than what I have for dinner so I must be doing something wrong...

fishndoc
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Because of my drive from Marietta (GA), I usually end up getting to Townsend late morning, and try to stop at the Walland Center for one of their Hillbilly Tacos. Usually don't get hungry again until sometime the next day. :smile:

Haven't stopped in a couple of years, but the 66 station in Townsend used to serve a mean chili-slaw dog also.

JoeFred
09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
The Back Porch in Townsend has some great country ham.

Great info. It's like a daggone hatch chart for the rest of us.

JF

Jswitow
09-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I love the trout dinner at Katie's Kitchen. It is a little hard to find, but all you have to do is drive up Dick's Branch road about 150 yards, Katie's is on the right. This is dinner of course, not breakfast. Lynn's in Robbinsville is very good as well. If over on the Nantahala the River's End at the NOC is great as well.
Really like Pasquelino's in Bryson City as well. Also the Fryemont Inn in Bryson City. These are all dinner.
Good Eats!
John

Streamhound
09-17-2010, 10:47 AM
The back porch country ham is that breakfast lunch or dinner or all of the above?

My cardiologist needs a new Jag to drive

JoeFred
09-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Too funny, Streamhound! We had it for dinner... I think. Hmmmm... Memory's failing me some, which is not unexpected. I was recently diagnosed with O.L.D. :rolleyes:

JF

pineman19
09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I highly recommend the North China Restaurant in G-Burg. It's just past the aquarium (heading south) on off the main drag street that will take you by the Happy Hiker. Best Chinese food I have had in East TN. It's not a buffet, freshly prepared, very tasty and good portions for around $10 bucks. My favorite eatery in G-Burg.

Neal

flyman
09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
If you are in a hurry there are several places on both sides of the park that you can stop and be a mini rolling stimulus package. You can gas up, buy a bucket of chicken, and a 12 pack. That helps out the guy that owns the store and all his suppliers. Then as you are driving down the road eating the chicken and drinking, throw the bones out for the animals to eat, throw the cans out for those guys that walk along the road picking up aluminum cans for resale, and save the greasy box and paper to recycle.:biggrin: Just trying to do my part to help the economy :biggrin:

flyman
09-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Keep them coming, I need a couple more on the NC side:biggrin:

pineman19
09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
flyman,

As a guy I once worked with in Florida would say, you're a real "Sport Model" :biggrin:

Neal

judgebw
09-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Driving south from Louisville, we try to stop at Litton's in Knoxville. World's best best burger and fries!

http://www.littonsburgers.com/menu/burgers.html

pineman19
09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Littons, live around 12 miles north of there, pretty good burgers for sure!

Neal

Owl
09-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Townsend

Mrs Lily's is my #1

The BBQ place attached to the tubing place on the left just after the redlight where it goes to two lane highway heading into the park is delicious. I think the tubing place is River Rat.

Riverstone is good too.

On the North Carolina side, if you got time go to Franklin, NC. It's well worth the drive. In the middle of town there is a Hot Spot gas station. Attached to that gas station is a small cafe called Caffe REL. Best restaurant in this area bar none. The guy uses a lot of different sauces and has some really fancy dishes for reasonable prices. You would never imagine it's connected to a gas station. The bread they fly in from Canada with that sauce is delicious too. The homemade chocolate cake is awesome.

While I totally agree on Ms. Lilly's - the BBQ place you speak of must have either changed alot since the last time I tried it, or we have a different idea of "delicious." ;)

On the TN side Ms. Lilly's for dinner. The apple barn type place for breakfast( can't remember the name but it's before you get into Townsend proper on the right coming from Maryville)

On the NC side, Peter's Pancakes for breakfast and if I'm lucky enough to be fishing around Maggie Valley or Waynesville - Fat Buddies BBQ for dinner. If we had a Fat Buddies here at home where I live, I'd weigh 400 pounds by Christmas. :) The ribs and the black-eye pea stew are very good IMHO.

nvr2L8
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Here's a hint if you stop at Full Service BBQ in Maryville. Ask for the Sweet and Spicy sauce - it's not the default sauce but it's the best. Also beware that they put raw onion and pickle on their sandwiches - I always ask them to hold both.

Before you get to Walland coming from Maryville is Melrose Station BBQ (next to an adult bookstore and motorcycle shop). It also has good BBQ but Full Service is still my favorite. If you turn right directly across from Melrose Station BBQ at the Antique Mall, go to the 4-way stop and turn right, you'll get to Becky's Grill. Great sandwiches and burgerrs. My favorite is the Ross Burger - on pumpernickle with pimento cheese. It'll make you tear up. Becky's has limited hours as in no later than 4:00 and not every day but is definitely open on Saturday.

Crockett
09-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Charlie you must not live too far from me. I pass by Becky's grill every time I am going to or from the park. I live off Sam James road and when I go out I turn on blockhouse road on out to Rocky branch and pass by that little store. Always lots of cars there but I never tried it thanks for the tip!

nvr2L8
09-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Crockett,

We live off Niles Ferry on Linda Ln. but will drive out to Becky's at the drop of a hat. Great place, great people. For those who have lived in the Maryville area for a good while, Becky used to work at Joe's Drive In when it was across the street from the current Little River Trading Company many years ago. Same good food.

nocona
09-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Jim Casada

well howdy-dooooo!

Drifter
09-25-2010, 04:18 PM
First brookie streams.......now this. I can't believe you guys are posting the names of the best restaurants on the Interwebs. Whatever happened to the old tried-and-true method of eating at restaurant based on a "hunch" or word-of-mouth. Next time you're waiting in that long line to get that bar-b-que sammich...think about this thread!

Just sayin' :biggrin:

Crockett
09-25-2010, 09:34 PM
First brookie streams.......now this. I can't believe you guys are posting the names of the best restaurants on the Interwebs. Whatever happened to the old tried-and-true method of eating at restaurant based on a "hunch" or word-of-mouth. Next time you're waiting in that long line to get that bar-b-que sammich...think about this thread!

Just sayin' :biggrin:

Yeah I stopped at full service bbq tonight and it was packed thanks to this thread hehe. Gotta love it all the power we wield here on the good ole lro forum :biggrin:

JoeFred
09-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Now, now, Crockett. I rated this thread as Four Stars, but I just might downgrade it. ;)

JF

Adam M.
09-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Many great choices in Gburg.....

Calhouns
Smky mt brewery....Good micro brews...ok food...great karma.
Cherokee grill
Park grill

and the Peddler is always good.

Best Italian is VERY good.

Plus there is a certain bartender in the burg, that is Fly-fisherman friendly...:cool:

Cheers

Hey Runner-
I work in G'burg, and always enjoy a bevrage after work...where to you tend bar?

Dawgvet
09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I have further details on my recommendation posted earlier in this thread. The place for breakfast and lunch in Gatlinburg is Mountain Lodge resturant on 321 east headed out of Gatlinburg towards Cosby. Mighty fine breakfast and was full of locals. Always a good sign.

buzzmcmanus
09-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Walland Center

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/Wallandslawdog.jpg

JoeFred
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Yum. I'm "attracted" to any food with yellow mustard on it. "Stimulating.":smile:

JF

Flying Trout
09-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Places I eat on the way to the mountains or where you should eat. Full service bbq is great. Also if you want a great sandwich stop by The Market just up the road on the right. I eat at The Market a couple times a week because of affordability and taste. I also like to stop at the Walland Market and get a Hillbilly Taco (not healthy). Miss Lillys is good and also has a great beer selection. Some high gravity beers on their menu. The last gas station on the left going through Townsend has edible chicken. That is the only thing that I venture out and get at that stop.

JoeFred
02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
I thought this compilation of the contributions above might be beneficial to some, especially the restaurant owners & employees. Again, thanks to Crockett for this great thread and those who responded. Please call attention to any omissions from the posts above, errors in the names, addresses, etc.

Bon appétit, JF

BRYSON CITY/CHEROKEE, NC
Chestnut Tree Inn
37 Tsalagi Rd, Cherokee
Jim Casada

Cork & Bean
16 Everett Bryson City, NC
brysoncitycorkandbean.com (http://www.brysoncitycorkandbean.com/)
Jim Casada

Fryemont Inn
245 Fryemont Street, Bryson City
fryemontinn.com/dining.htm (http://www.fryemontinn.com/dining.htm)
Jswitow

Granny's Kitchen
376 Painttown, Cherokee
grannyskitchencherokee.com (http://www.grannyskitchencherokee.com)
Jim Casada/flyman

Na-ber’s Drive-In
1245 Main St, Bryson City
Jim Casada

Nantahala Inn*
130 Papa Jim & Nanny Pl., Bryson City
Jim Casada

Pasqualino's Italian Restaurant
25 Everett Street, Bryson City
Jim Casada/Jswitow

Peter's Pancakes & Waffles
1384 Tsali Blvd, Cherokee
Owl

Relia's Garden - NOC*
13077 Highway 19 W, Bryson City
noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-dining/dine-with-us/relias-garden-restaurant/
(http://www.noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-dining/dine-with-us/relias-garden-restaurant/)Jim Casada

FRANKLIN/ROBBINSVILLE/WALNUT, NC
Caffé REL
459 E Main St, Franklin
Trip

Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ
311 Westgate Plaza, Franklin
fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com (http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com)
Owl

Katie's Kitchen
Dick Branch Road, Robbinsville
Jswitow

Lynn's Place
237 East Main Street, Robbinsville
Jswitow

River's End Restaurant in the Nantahala Gorge
9825 Us Highway 25/70, Walnut
noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-dining/dine-with-us/rivers-end-restaurant/ (http://www.noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-dining/dine-with-us/rivers-end-restaurant/)
Jswitow

MAGGIE VALLEY/WAYNESVILLE, NC
Fat Buddies Ribs & BBQ
Waynesville Plaza, Waynesville
fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com (http://www.fatbuddiesribsandbbq.com)
Owl

Maggie Valley Restaurant
2804 Soco Road, Maggie Valley
maggievalleyrestaurant.net (http://www.maggievalleyrestaurant.net)
Crockett

GATLINBURG/PIGEON FORGE/SEVIERVILLE, TN
Best Italian
628 Parkway Gatlinburg
bestitalian.com (http://www.bestitalian.com)
pmike/SmokyMt4runner/Streamhound

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.*
900 Parkway Traffic Light #8, Gatlinburg
bubbagump.com/locations/gatlinburg/ (http://www.bubbagump.com/locations/gatlinburg/)
pmike

Cobbly Nob Market
3722 E Parkway, Gatlinburg
Crockett

Calhouns & Smoky Mountain Brewery
1004 Parkway, Gatlinburg
coppercellar.com (http://www.coppercellar.com)
pmike/SmokyMt4runner

Cherokee Grill & Steakhouse
1004 Parkway, Gatlinburg
coppercellar.com (http://www.coppercellar.com)
SmokyMt4runner

Moonshine Ridge Country Store & Cafe**
2005 Wears Valley Rd, Sevierville
Web site was not working wheb checked 2/8/12
mattblick

Mountain Lodge Restaurant
913 East Parkway, Gatlinburg
Dawgvet

North China Chinese Restaurant
639 Parkway, Gatlinburg
pineman19

Pancake Pantry
628 Parkway Gatlinburg
pancakepantry.com (http://www.pancakepantry.com)
The Principal

Park Grill Steakhouse
1110 Parkway, Gatlinburg
parkgrillgatlinburg.com (http://www.parkgrillgatlinburg.com)
SmokyMt4runner

The Old Mill*
175 Old Mill Ave, Pigeon Forge
oldmillsquare.com/restaurant.htm
(http://oldmillsquare.com/restaurant.htm)tlshealy

The Peddler Steakhouse
820 River Road, Gatlinburg
peddlergatlinburg.com (http://www.peddlergatlinburg.com)
SmokyMt4runner

TOWNSEND/WEARS VALLEY/WALLAND/MARYVILLE/KNOXVILLE, TN
AJ's Hearth & Kettle Restaurant*
7767 Lamar Alexander Parkway, Townsend
NDuncan

Apple Valley Farms*
7838 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy - Townsend
Owl

Back Porch Restaurant
7016 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Townsend
NDuncan/pmike/JoeFred

Bear Camp Grill
3275 Wears Valley Rd, Sevierville
pmike

Becky's Grocery & Grill
3856 Laws Chapel Rd, Maryville
nvr2L8

Black Bear Cafe**
7621 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Townsend
blackbearcafetownsend.com (http://www.blackbearcafetownsend.com)
Byron Begley

Carriage House**
8310 State Hwy, Townsend
JoeFred

Dancing Bear Lodge**
133 Apple Valley Way, Townsend
dancingbearlodge.com (http://www.dancingbearlodge.com)
ChemEAngler

Full Service BBQ
113 South Washington St, Maryville
fullservicebbq.com (http://www.fullservicebbq.com/)
RFork/Crockett/Mundele/nvr2L8/Flying Trout

Restaurant at Laurel Valley Golf Course**
702 Country Club Drive, Townsend
Byron Begley

Little River BBQ at River Rage Tubing
8307 State Hwy 73, Townsend
riverragetubing.com/LittleRiverBarbeque.html (http://www.riverragetubing.com/LittleRiverBarbeque.html)
Trip/NDuncan

Litton's Market, Restaurant & Bakery
2803 Essary Road, Knoxville
littonsburgers.com (http://www.littonsburgers.com)
judgebw/pineman19/ChemEAngler

Melrose Station BBQ
4541 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Walland
nvr2L8

Miss Lily's Café
122 Depot St, Townsend
misslilyscafe.com (http://www.misslilyscafe.com)
Crockett/Owl/pmike

Parkway Grocery/Phillips 66
7665 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Townsend
buckeyetrouter/Streamhound/fishndoc

Picnic Pantry**
117 Painted Trillium Way, Townsend
picnicpantrycafe.com (http://www.picnicpantrycafe.com)
Byron Begley

Riverstone Family Restaurant
(Closed for the season. May be opening at a new location.)
riverstonefamilyrestaurant.com (http://www.riverstonefamilyrestaurant.com)
BlueRaiderFan/Crockett/NDuncan/buckeyetrouter

Timbers Restaurant
8123 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Townsend
buckeyetrouter/JoeFred

Walland Market & Deli
5317 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, townsend
fishndoc/Flying Trout

Wings R Us
8213 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Townsend
fishndoc/Flying Trout
Vern

*Ones overlooked in the compilation.
**New ones submitted since list was first compiled.

Crockett
02-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks for that list JoeFred. When I saw you put Littons on there I was confused at first but Amanda mentioned that is probably where you ate when you were fishing First Creek (oops named another one of your secret speck creeks :smile:)

I have ate at many of those but still more to try. I didn't know Riverstone was moving locations. I wonder where they are going. I like that place.

My favorite on the whole list is probably the Maggie Valley Restaurant cause they 'catered' my wedding. Amanda and I got married at Palmer Chapel in Cataloochee and we looked at prices of all kinds of fancy catering outfits in Asheville and such for the reception but we ended up just getting a large take out order from Maggie Valley Restaurant which was better and way cheaper.

I haven't ever tried Lynn's Place or Katie's Kitchen in Robinsville what are they like?

JoeFred
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Adam, I haven't either. Here is what John said.

I love the trout dinner at Katie's Kitchen. It is a little hard to find, but all you have to do is drive up Dick's Branch road about 150 yards, Katie's is on the right. This is dinner of course, not breakfast. Lynn's in Robbinsville is very good as well. If over on the Nantahala the River's End at the NOC is great as well.
Really like Pasquelino's in Bryson City as well. Also the Fryemont Inn in Bryson City. These are all dinner.
Good Eats!
John

tnflyfisher
02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
When I saw you put Littons on there I was confused at first but Amanda mentioned that is probably where you ate when you were fishing First Creek (oops named another one of your secret speck creeks :smile:)

Ohhh no he didn't.... ?!? :biggrin: "jk"-so people know when injected with sarcasm/humor and not meant to be taken seriously.

Again, thanks for bringing up this list Joe! I am seriously getting tired of eating at Subway every time... didn't know I had so many options!! :biggrin:

Tight Lines,

JoeFred
02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Ohhh no he didn't.... ?!? :biggrin: "jk"-so people know when injected with sarcasm/humor and not meant to be taken seriously.

Again, thanks for bringing up this list Joe! I am seriously getting tired of eating at Subway every time... didn't know I had so many options!! :biggrin:

Tight Lines,

tnflyfisher, I've decided to turn over a new leaf: promoting farm raised rainbows and Hillbilly Tacos instead of backcountry brookies.:biggrin:

Okay, Crockett, I'll bite. Tell me where First Creek is... by personal e-mail, of course. ;)

tnflyfisher
02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
tnflyfisher, I've decided to turn over a new leaf: promoting farm raised rainbows and Hillbilly Tacos instead of backcountry brookies.:biggrin:

Okay, Crockett, I'll bite. Tell me where First Creek is... by personal e-mail, of course. ;)

I'll have to possibly "hunt" down one of those Hillbilly Tacos on the next trip... God knows what those must be made of...?? :biggrin:

Joe,
You mean to tell me you aren't familiar with the elusive Appalachian urban strain spec?? The one that was genetically engineered and infused with carp DNA so it is able to survive in just about any fresh water environment... I've heard First Creek is full of them. And here I thought you were well aware of all the trout species in the area. :biggrin:

Tight Lines,

ChemEAngler
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
The wife and I like to stop by The Market in Maryville on our way to Townsend.

Typically we stop by the BBQ trailer on Wears Valley beside the tube joint. Really good BBQ and wonderful grilled corn-on-the-cob. However, never on a weekend, always on a Mon thru Thurs. Otherwise you are overrun by tubers. Unfortunately, I heard a nasty rumor that this BBQ stand is now gone, but maybe they just closed up for the season.

For a more mid-range dining experience we enjoy Miss Lily's or when semi-formal dining is the game we enjoy Dancing Bear Lodge.

However, when I am by myself it is hard to beat a slaw dog from the gas station across the street from the school.

Crockett
02-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Travis great suggestions there the Market is great and so is Miss Lillys especially the Sunday brunch there. I haven't ever ate at the Dancing Bear lodge yet but have you noticed there big billboards in knoxville that say "Got Trout?".

We ate at the riverstone in Townsend tonight after fishing (3 small bows in west prong on #16 rainbow prince nymphs) and playing around in Cades Cove with my son. It was great food again and they had live music tonight.

JoeFred
02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
For a more mid-range dining experience we enjoy Miss Lily's or when semi-formal dining is the game we enjoy Dancing Bear Lodge.
Thanks, Travis. I added Dancing Bear Lodge to da list (Post #49).

My wife & enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Carriage House during Troutfest 2011.

sammyben
02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Heard a rumor that Miss Lilly's in Townsend has closed. Does any one know for sure?

JoeFred
02-06-2012, 01:15 PM
REJOICE! Byron says that Miss Lily's is not closed permanently. He said Steve is tearing out the floor in the kitchen and reinforcing the foundation to hold the heavy equipment. The floor was sagging. He thinks Steve said it would take two months. Then they will re-open. He sees Steve working there almost every day.

Thank you, Byron & sammyben.
JF

Crockett
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
That's good to hear JoeFred Miss Lilly's is great. I think someone said that Riverstone was moving and I asked them about it Saturday night they said they weren't moving. When I was there a waitress asked me about my troutfest t-shirt and asked me where it was at. I told her it was just down the road at the visitor center in May. She asked me how long it had been going on and that she had been taking her son to a "troutfest" in Pigeon Forge the last couple of years. I didn't know there was any such thing there maybe she was mistaken. Anyway she was very glad to know there was a troutfest locally so she could take her son this year.

JoeFred
02-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Ya got me thinking it may be a Riverstone Restaurant in "Pigeon Forge" that is relocating and not the one in Townsend. :rolleyes:

But I got the info from http://www.riverstonefamilyrestaurant.com/

JF

Byron Begley
02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I was looking at "Da List" and found some eateries not mentioned or maybe I missed them. Black Bear Cafe in Townsend is excellent. The Shulers who used to operate the Carriage House opened this Spring. It was a huge success. Unfortunately, Olsen's River Grill closed two weeks ago. We were there the last night. Rumor has it that the Shulers are renting that space and opening another restaurant right behind the Black Bear Cafe. That building is owned by Mike Chase of Copper Cellar and other restaurants fame including Calhouns I think. I didn't see the restaurant at Laurel Valley Golf Course. That restaurant is owned by my buddies Chad Rochelle and Jay Crippin. I would add that to the list too and get some feedback. Some big things are going to happen up there. Jay also owns the Picnic Pantry in Trillium Cove. It is excellent too. I think he owns the BBQ place at River Rat also.

Byron

Byron

JoeFred
02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks Byron. I've added yours to the rest in Post #49. This compilin' is makin' me hungry, and I plan to visit some establishments before and after my next fishing trip. Crockett, you'll be to blame if I go off my new diet. ;)
JF

JoeFred
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I'll not add to the list in #49 until I get to eat at the cafe, but after guiding Brook Fan on his first smokies slam (me?... shunked), he and I stopped at Moonshine Ridge Country Store & Cafe, 2005 Wears Valley Rd, Sevierville, just west of the Pigeon Forge. A really cool place and nice folks. We didn't get to eat at the cafe, but did take home some killer relish after going through the "buffet." I think we sampled a dozen or more of their huge selection of jams, salsas, chips, crackers, canned veggies and more. My wife and I stopped there some months later following Troutfest. She very much approved.

Brook Fan's thread: 1st Wild Trout and 1st Smoky Slam (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10641)

mattblick
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I'll not add to the list in #49 until I get to eat at the cafe, but after guiding Brook Fan on his first smokies slam (me?... shunked), he and I stopped at Moonshine Ridge Country Store & Cafe, 2005 Wears Valley Rd, Sevierville, just west of the Pigeon Forge. A really cool place and nice folks.

You can put it on the list, good eating and nice prices. My kids have asked to go there the past 2 trips. The pulled pork BBQ doesn't best Marysville's Full Service, but it is good.

Fred, when you are done editing #49, can you print it waterproof on 11x17? :biggrin:

I thought this compilation of the contributions above might be beneficial to some, especially the restaurant owners & employees. Again, thanks to Crockett for this great thread and those who responded. Please call attention to any omisions omissions from the posts above, errors in the names, addresses, etc.

Bon appétit, JF

JoeFred
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Excellent idea, Matt, although I'll likely print on the backs of recycled BBQ-duty checkered tablecloth and throw in some free wetnaps.:smile:

Will add Moonshine Ridge Country Store & Cafe to our list. Thanks.