PDA

View Full Version : tackle advice for a friend

fishingman62
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
i am taking a friend to the park wed 9-15-10.... i know short notice .... she does not fly fish and will be using a spin outfit.....looking for some suggestion on what she should use .... i was thinking trout magnets or small mr. twisters .... but not sure if they will work.... probably going tremont but would like elkmont as she likes to hike .... will an hour or so hike at a steady clip up elkmont get us in water she can spin fish or does it get to tight.... i have never fished up that high on elkmont... but really don't want to fish low elevation..... any suggestions really appreciated she has never caught a mountain trout ....
thaxs dan

Carlito
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Trout magnets will work well. Go for the green weenie color and throw on a little split shot if it's too light to cast.

Grannyknot
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
sounds like a great time to introduce her to fly fishing!

No Hackle
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Let her fish a nymph, before my wife flyfished she would use an indicator and nymph. She'll catch some fish. Michelle used to mop up and be able to fish some spots that were harder for me.
Lynn

BlueRaiderFan
09-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Panther Martins and Rooster Tails (single hook) in black.

JoelO
09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
What BRF said but in brown with a gold blade.

fishingman62
09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
thaxs for the help guys we will try the nymph and magnet i don't have any rooster tails or panther martins.....
what kind of indicater lynn.....
do you guys know if little rivers sells the trout magnets or do i need to stop at wallmart...
how about the hour or so up elkmont is that easily fishable for her
again thaxs for the info..... i want her to have a good experience
dan

Jim Casada
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
BRF's suggestions are good, although I'd be ready to change blade color. An old-time mountain spiinerbiat which combines this technique with a traditional fly is to use a small, gold Colorado blade with a Yellarhammar tied on a long shank hook trailing it. I have known a couple of expert fly fishermen over the years who used nothing else.

You might also consider a small casting bubble with flies.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

MadisonBoats
09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
My brother would kill me for posting this; probably will not be able to find them on the shelves. But, this is the best spinning lure I have ever seen used on a river. My brother has one box full of them and that is all he takes. He cuts off the third hook and crimps all the barbs of course. This is the lure that has helped he and I break the 100 mark on the Clinch a few times. I took a young family member out and he had never fished a day in his life and he caught exactly 30 on his first trip. Try to stay away from the lighter versions. You want to reach out and cover some distance when throwing these to double/triple your catch percentage. Use GOLD, always GOLD - Silver is like night and day with results.

http://www.bluefox.com/images/lure_images/vibrax_plated/vibrax_plated_200.jpg

Jim Casada
09-14-2010, 08:05 PM
In my previous post I said "expert fly fishermen." It should have read "expert spinner fishermen," although they were actually fishing with a fly (just using spinning gear).
Jim Casada

MadisonBoats
09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
BRF's suggestions are good, although I'd be ready to change blade color. An old-time mountain spiinerbiat which combines this technique with a traditional fly is to use a small, gold Colorado blade with a Yellarhammar tied on a long shank hook trailing it. I have known a couple of expert fly fishermen over the years who used nothing else.

This is a very interesting set up to me. Do you have any pics for me to reference? Looks like something I would like to try... Thanks for sharing...

Jim Casada
09-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Shawn--I don't have any photos but I do think I can give some added details. The Colorado blade (round and in gold) should be about the size of those on a beetlespin or one size bigger. These blades normally come on a shaft or spindle which they twirl around, and that has a snap-open section to hold the hook. Just open the snap and slide the eye of the hook down it. As for the fly, just tie a Yallarhammer on a long =shank hook (size 8, 10, or 12) and you are in business.
The late Ed Chambers of bryson City, who was a trail crew chief back in the days when the Park did all the trial maintenance, carried a small spinning outfit with him as a matter of course. At lunch, while the rest of the crew ate and took a break, he would wolf down a sandwich and fish with the above-mentioned outfit. I saw him in action and he could catch trout like nobody's business.
Jim Casada

MadisonBoats
09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Shawn--I don't have any photos but I do think I can give some added details. The Colorado blade (round and in gold) should be about the size of those on a beetlespin or one size bigger. These blades normally come on a shaft or spindle which they twirl around, and that has a snap-open section to hold the hook. Just open the snap and slide the eye of the hook down it. As for the fly, just tie a Yallarhammer on a long =shank hook (size 8, 10, or 12) and you are in business.
The late Ed Chambers of bryson City, who was a trail crew chief back in the days when the Park did all the trial maintenance, carried a small spinning outfit with him as a matter of course. At lunch, while the rest of the crew ate and took a break, he would wolf down a sandwich and fish with the above-mentioned outfit. I saw him in action and he could catch trout like nobody's business.
Jim Casada

Thank you Jim for taking the time to help me understand this setup. I will try and see if I can come up with one similar. Sounds very interesting and like one of my creative flies...:biggrin: Well, this one sounds like it may work very well...Again, I appreciate your kind explanation and post. This fly makes it extra-special to me that you equated it to man (Ed Chambers) that loved to fish...So; when I try and copy it-I will consider it a pattern from Jim Casada and his friend Ed Chambers.

Thanks Again Bud,

Jim Casada
09-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Shawn--Happy to be of help, and Ed Chambers was a special guy. In his prime, which was when I was a boy and young man, he was the walkingest fellow you could imagine. He thought nothing of walking 20 or so miles in a day of trail work and then 'coon hunting half the night. Local folks in Bryson City pretty much agreed that he could outwalk anyone. Of course his lean, 6' 3" frame, without so much as a hint of an ounce of fat, helped. He lived within 100 yards of where I'm typing these words right now, and lived well into his 90s (dying this past year).
I should have mentioned that usually you need a small split shot or possibly two (in bigger streams) to cast the rig and get it down where it needs to be. I've never been a spinner fisherman, but on more than one backcountry trip where I was depending on trout as a key part of the camp diet and it rained enough to get the stream really dingy, flinging and slinging this lure with a fly rod saved the day.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

steamnsteel
09-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I think that I may have this lure at home or it is very similar. I'll try to post a pic or give more info. but it might be next week before I can do it. I'll be out and about fishing and such until Monday.

Shawn, you have personal email.

No Hackle
09-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Fishingman, She would always use the large or med big kahuna. The larger one helped with casting. Sorry for the slow reply.
Lynn