PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 9/17

tire guy
09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Fished this morning for a couple of hours and had much success. The success came after I either got the correct color or depth, probably both for my midge. Smallest fish to hand was 18" with several over 20. It was enough I considered marking them to see if I was catching the same fish. I was above the jail past the island letting my bug float thru the riffles. I hope this helps someone else. I enjoy reading but seldom post.

kentuckytroutbum
09-17-2010, 06:43 PM
tireguy-

Thanks very much for the update. I like fishing behind the "jail", really the "Church." I was thinking about driving down to Clinton next week to fling some flies at the trout. Glad you had success, its good to hear. ;)

May I ask what flies you were using?

Bill

MadisonBoats
09-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I would say that is a spectacular day on the Clinch to land fish in that size range with consistency and no babies:smile: I know I would mark it up as a memorable experience....Glad you had a great day and got to get out on the water.

waterwolf
09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Not a single fish under 18", that is remarkable. Glad you had a good day.

psnapp
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I got in a couple hours this morning. Most of mine were 12-13". May have to drift down closer to Lewallen next time.

waterwolf
09-18-2010, 05:52 AM
I got in a couple hours this morning. Most of mine were 12-13". May have to drift down closer to Lewallen next time.
I fished down in that region on Thurs. my fish averaged the same as yours. I did catch a couple of 15" fish and a 20" brown, but the vast majority of fish were under 13" as expected.

tire guy
09-18-2010, 08:48 AM
tireguy-

Thanks very much for the update. I like fishing behind the "jail", really the "Church." I was thinking about driving down to Clinton next week to fling some flies at the trout. Glad you had success, its good to hear. ;)

May I ask what flies you were using?

Bill
I was using a brown with gold bead and wire midge pupa(22) on 6x.

BigMax
09-19-2010, 04:04 PM
fished there today from 9-12 and got skunked.....had a few rise and hit a comparadun but nothing on any midge i tried

GRRRRRRRRR

very frustrating!

talked to other anglers who seemed to be having similar results

BlueRaiderFan
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Max,

Did you try pulling a flashback nymph through the water like a streamer? I have yet to be on a tailwater that it didn't get me one toward the end of the day when I was getting skunked. JMO.;)

psnapp
09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Got on the Clinch this afternoon for 2-3 hours. It was slow, although the fish were sporadically feeding heavy on the surface. Saw a lot of micro-caddis around the overhanging vegetation. Did manage to catch some hefty 15-16" bows and a few smaller ones. Overall, a slow day.

BigMax
09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
i did not try any flash backs.....should have but i wasent seeing any activity on my sinking flys so i focused on the drys....

Psnapp, what were you using? and were you fishing the rapids above the 61 bridge?

psnapp
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
BigMax -- couple of miles above 61 and was using a #18 dark midge .... color didn't seem to matter as long as it's dark.

ChemEAngler
09-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Congrats on a great day. Fall fishing on the Clinch is a special time to me.

You all and your Clinch reports are killing me. This is my favorite time to fish the Clinch, and I can't shake free to get on the water. Work has had me traveling all over lately, and when I am in town the generation schedule sucks. I was back in town last Friday afternoon, and had made arrangements to hit the river since a couple days last week they were off until noon. So that gives me well into the afternoon to fish downriver. What does TVA do, but switch things around and turn on at 9:00!!! :mad:

I am going nuts, it has been way too long since I have dunked a fly.

MadisonBoats
09-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Try the lightning bug stocker fly or the Quasimodo...? You can catch fish on midges all day; but if you are no fluent with the holes; throw one of these flies to promote the fish to move a bit.

tn hound
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a great day! I've heard of people having days like this wading on the Clinch, I've never had one in 20 years, I need to figure some things out, or get a new tape measure.

Wilson10
09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
or get a new tape measure.

HAHA....I'm with ya there:biggrin:

waterwolf
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a great day! I've heard of people having days like this wading on the Clinch, I've never had one in 20 years, I need to figure some things out, or get a new tape measure.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I have never had one in 25 years either, but hey there is always hope for the future. Well, wait I did have a day about 6 years or so ago where I only caught 2 fish and both were over 20", but that was throwing streamers in February after 8" of snow and 2 generators. Miserable day, and the 2 fish weren't worth the misery.

tire guy
09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
This is why I rarely post, I was excited about having a good day and even shared my fly and general location and the doubting birds reared their ugly heads. I know it was a large dose of luck but it was honest. I hope your doubts made you feel better about yourself.

pacofly13
09-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Fished this morning for a couple of hours and had much success. The success came after I either got the correct color or depth, probably both for my midge. Smallest fish to hand was 18" with several over 20. It was enough I considered marking them to see if I was catching the same fish. I was above the jail past the island letting my bug float thru the riffles. I hope this helps someone else. I enjoy reading but seldom post.

Excellent day... great job! I'd bet you that will be a day you never forget, especially on some light tippet. I'm headed down there this weekend and can only hope to catch one in that range.. that would make my weekend!
thanks for sharing

waterwolf
09-21-2010, 08:38 AM
This is why I rarely post, I was excited about having a good day and even shared my fly and general location and the doubting birds reared their ugly heads. I know it was a large dose of luck but it was honest. I hope your doubts made you feel better about yourself.
Don't get all upset before understanding where the comments originate from and the reasoning behind them.

I can't speak for all who posted but for myself, psnapp, tn hound, and wilson10, we have spent years and decades fishing the Clinch. I also along with others know a bunch of folks who have similar tenures haunting the Clinch. I have never heard of a day, and definitely never had a day like you describe. I have had days where **** near every fish was 14"-16" with the rare dink mixed in. In fact I have had 2 of those type days and they were this summer during murky water conditions. I just have never experienced or heard of a day with all fish exceeding 18" on standard midges/nymphs.

To people who fish, fish a lot, and fish the same river a lot; it just comes across as questionable when something is stated which far surpasses what has ever been experienced on a particular river.

It is nothing personal and I don't see anything mean spirited in the comments posted, just a general questioning or bewilderment expressed by some.

psnapp
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Tire Guy - No problem from me. Those days that are hard to believe actually do happen. In a lot of years of chasing trout, Iíve had 3. The first one I was fishing by myself, and I told a couple of guys who know me well about the experience, and they both had raised eyebrows Ö so I didnít pass that along to anyone else. The second, I was with a good friend, and that one is the most remarkable because we BOTH had an exceptional, unbelievable day Ö we didnít spread the word about that one as most folks would have suspected we were smoking loco weed! The third happened with the same friend, and it is still the most rare, freak and statistically improbable fishing event I know of!

So, just enjoy the memories of your exceptional day, no matter what is said!

tn hound
09-22-2010, 09:00 AM

I feel a little better, thanks, I was being self deprecating and doubting my own abilities as well the accuracy of your tape measure. I hope you take no offense, my friends make similiar like claims and I bust their balls too, it's something fisherman do. The fact that people don't believe you is a compliment and a testament to the great day you had, relish it.

tire guy
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks busting me for fun is a good thing. I should not have been so doubtful of you guys. I hope to see you on the river.

Green Weenie
09-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Tire Guy,

Just curious: were they mostly browns or 'bows?

tire guy
09-24-2010, 09:24 AM
All bows.
You know I have jinxed myself to being skunked next time out. Oh well, that just maks the good days better.

psnapp
09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Tire guy -- after relating your success to us, you have jinxed yourself for the next 3-4 yrs! Next time, do as I have painfully learned -- just enjoy the memories in silence by the fire ... some Irish coffee just enhances the experience!