PDA

View Full Version : Elk River

BlueRaiderFan
09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Hit the Elk on Friday. Plenty of fish rising. Didn't do so hot on dries and droppes and switched to a streamer that I "made up" (probably has been done before by someone else). Started catching fish right away. But, it was near dark and getting darker, so I left. Great river in a beautiful area. Oh yeah, I did see a lot of hopper activity, but forgot to try one.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/ElkRiverBow2010B.jpg

silvercreek
09-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the report. I haven't heard much about the Elk lately. Healthy looking fish. Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks, I did notice a hatch come off...kind of a tiny fly with medium dun wings and a body that was kind of a dull yellow. This thing must have been about size 18-20. Not certain what it was but there were quite a few. I've added more detail and pics on my blog (linked below).

bigpopper
09-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Great report! Glad one of us finally hooked some trout in the Elk. ;) We need hit the Elk or some other tailwater soon. The weather should be cooling down soon. Nice pic. Glad your nephew had a good time.

BlueRaiderFan
09-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, Mark. It's been too long since we hit a tailwater.

highpockets
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Went yesterday (Lexie), got there about 3. We caught a few on hares ear in midcurrent with a Zebra on the bottom. Then right at dark we caught them pretty easily with soft hackles drift down and across and the brought to the surface with a lift of the rod. Strike came when they were right at the surface!

BlueRaiderFan
09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Cool! I need to tie some soft hackles. Seems like they come on right at dark. What's a goodun to use?