PDA

View Full Version : Best bow yet......

Knik
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
....... I know it's a pup compared to what you guys catch, but this is my best yet on the Grinch. :biggrin: Caught a few more smaller fish but it sure didn't fish like last sun., was slow for sure.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/010800x600.jpg

ifish4wildtrout
09-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice one, congrats. Guessing from the photo, 18-20 inches?

Knik
09-19-2010, 08:22 PM
ifish....... beats me :rolleyes: left the darn tape at the house in my "mountain" pack. Was trying to get the pics. and him/her back in the water as soon as possible and really didn't think about it until after the release. Oh well, need to pick up another tape, lesson learned.

ifish4wildtrout
09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Yep, biggest brown I ever caught I released and then thought about measuring him. I had a tape, I just didn't use it. :mad:

waterwolf
09-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice fish, and based on the pic I would say that fish is 14"-15".

pineman19
09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice looking rainbow knik! You did better than me this weekend. I started late on Sunday and the water was low and the fish were spooky. I had a few hits, but no fish landed.

Neal

RFork
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
One tip on measuring a fish that I have picked up is to measure against your net and cut notches. Also, you could put tick marks on your net with permanent marker.

waterwolf
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
One tip on measuring a fish that I have picked up is to measure against your net and cut notches. Also, you could put tick marks on your net with permanent marker.
IMO the easiest way and offers the least stress to the fish is to measure your rod. Measure to the end of the cork, to the end of the writing above the cork. That should give you about 18" and anything over that can easily be judged by the eye. Nets IMO are horribly destructive to the fish, they remove scales and slime at an alarming rate. There is no question when I pick a fish up which has been landed in a net, they look beat up and many times sport split tails where the net bag slices their tails. Rubber bagged nets work great, but their use by wade fisherman is almost nill.

RFork
09-20-2010, 06:21 PM
IMO the easiest way and offers the least stress to the fish is to measure your rod. Measure to the end of the cork, to the end of the writing above the cork. That should give you about 18" and anything over that can easily be judged by the eye. Nets IMO are horribly destructive to the fish, they remove scales and slime at an alarming rate. There is no question when I pick a fish up which has been landed in a net, they look beat up and many times sport split tails where the net bag slices their tails. Rubber bagged nets work great, but their use by wade fisherman is almost nill.

Agreed. Not only are they bad for the fish but they are a pain as far as tangled flies go. I have used a rubber net for a long time now. Only problem with using the rod as a measurement tool is that the fish cannot be measured and held with two hands, where with a net you can leave the net hanging and gauge the fish size by where the net is held to the wood. To each their own though.

gutshot
09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Great fish! Thanks for the post.

flyman
09-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Looks like about 15 3/16":cool:

MadisonBoats
09-20-2010, 07:20 PM
....... I know it's a pup compared to what you guys catch, but this is my best yet on the Grinch. :biggrin: Caught a few more smaller fish but it sure didn't fish like last sun., was slow for sure.

In the end; all that matters is you conquered your challenge with this guy and that you are proud of it. Some of the best fish I have ever caught have not been that large; but, it was the moment and the situation that framed my experience. That is a beautiful fish and I am glad you tamed him.:smile:

Knik
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Waterwolf, RFork....
Thanks for the tips on measuring fish.

Wolf, I do use the handle of my rod to measure with in the mountains, one less thing I have to carry.

As far as nets go, I finally broke down and went to a rubber bag ( look in the bottom of the canoe in following pic.). Started out with a cheap $14 net.....:mad:..... never own another, hooks hang in them every time. After 1 day with the rubber bag and not having to get mad over hooks hanging in the net, glad I spent the money. Figure if I take care of it then it should last for many years.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/011800x600-1.jpg

psnapp
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Knik -- great catch and pic!

waterwolf
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Waterwolf, RFork....
Thanks for the tips on measuring fish.

Wolf, I do use the handle of my rod to measure with in the mountains, one less thing I have to carry.

As far as nets go, I finally broke down and went to a rubber bag ( look in the bottom of the canoe in following pic.). Started out with a cheap $14 net.....:mad:..... never own another, hooks hang in them every time. After 1 day with the rubber bag and not having to get mad over hooks hanging in the net, glad I spent the money. Figure if I take care of it then it should last for many years.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/011800x600-1.jpg
You are right the4 cotton net bag is a nightmare with flies, even barbless flies. Rubber bags and barbless flies have the amazing ability to unhook fish and allow for release many times without ever touching the fish.

When fishing out of a boat I usually net most fish over 14", they are just too **** crazy and nothing worse then to bomb a fish onto the bottom of a boat.

Congrats on the catch again.