PDA

View Full Version : new set-up?

Knik
09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Need some advice guys. Been thinking about putting together a new set-up for fishing streamers. This will mainly be used on the clinch, but I would also like to be able to use it for bass and musky, and saltwater if the chance arises.

So...... 7wt......8wt?

9'....... 9'6"....... 10' ?

Is there a reel out there that will hold up to saltwater yet be be practical for the other types of fishing?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Shannon

MadisonBoats
09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
6wt - and you better want to spend some money for a saltwater reel... or just use a cheap one and try to clean it....

Added: I ruined a good reel from letting it sit overnight and not cleaning it well. The saltwater tarnished just about everything and rusted the guts out of it in one week:(

kentuckytroutbum
09-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Knik-

I would go with a 6wt. or 7wt. rod with a "mid-arbor" sized reel for fishing the Clinch, or streams & lakes for bass, etc. The mid arbor will hold a fly line and about 150 yds +/- of dacron backing. I cannot see any need for a longer backing for the type of fishing you want to do.

Shawn is correct in that saltwater reels will cost a lot more money. They have a waterproof action with sealed parts, and are usually a "large" arbor reel holding up to 300 yds of backing. I fish saltwater in Florida, and some of the Caribbean islands, and you still have to clean your gear at the end of the day as a precaution. Also, a "heavy" rig will tire out your casting arm after a long day on the water. Believe me, my 10wt can get to be a real chore after a while of blind casting on the flats.

Bill

Knik
09-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, that gives me a direction to head in.

Shannon