PDA

View Full Version : new project fishing machine

Troutman
09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Finally found me a good deal on a fishing boat. Gonna be a fun project over the winter. Thinking maybe installing a casting deck across the front two bench seats and painting the entire boat. The drive on trailer will need new tires and wheel bearings and possibly new lights.
picked it up last evening from a buddy. 1967 Starcraft 14ft v-hull with a trolling motor. wonder how it will row? Will eventually get a 15-20hp motor but a 55lb thrust trolling motor will have to suffice for now.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00016-20100922-0747.jpg

the wood bench seats are solid, just need a good cleaning, sanding and paint
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00015-20100922-0747.jpg

Madison boats, what kind of paint do you recommend? rustoleum?

MadisonBoats
09-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Finally found me a good deal on a fishing boat. Gonna be a fun project over the winter. Thinking maybe installing a casting deck across the front two bench seats and painting the entire boat. The drive on trailer will need new tires and wheel bearings and possibly new lights.
picked it up last evening from a buddy. 1967 Starcraft 14ft v-hull with a trolling motor. wonder how it will row? Will eventually get a 15-20hp motor but a 55lb thrust trolling motor will have to suffice for now.

the wood bench seats are solid, just need a good cleaning, sanding and paint

Madison boats, what kind of paint do you recommend? rustoleum?

Man, that will be a great boat for you. I will get you together a list of ideas and things I have addressed and used to help you fix this boat up for the river. One thing; these boats are not good rowing boats like a drift boat and you will have to spend some money on specialty oars. The Wally store oars will not work. Buy a good trolling motor and deep cycle battery. The trick will be in weighting the boat for balance. I doubt adding a platform in the front will work for you; unless you can fabricate it out of aluminum or something small; then, you will need to offset the weight in the back if you are standing there alone. These boats are great for the river and will get you to the spots; but, it is usually only best to fly fish one person from the boat unless you have someone that can control their casts. Works great to get to shoals and anchor and wade too. I will give you a good list on how to fix this boat up.

An $8 quart of Rustoleum works great; now - you cannot leave these boats in the water for more than a day or two; the paint will get penetrated and start flaking off-(if you leave it tied up to a dock or in a pond). I sanded all the old paint off my boat. Took fiberglass resin and painted all the seams (boat upside down), bondoed the dents. Sanded smooth, you can using an etching agent if you want; I just used Windex (2-3 bottles) and prepped it before priming. Use Rustoleum primer too. I had to cut my paint about 60-40 and ran about 3-4 coats.

I will add more info.... later... focus on keeping the boat balanced and light in your planning...

DBKSTONE2
09-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Troutman,

Nice boat and has a lot of promise for a project.

Madison,

You need to get off your butt and make us a drift boat. For those of us who are not boat craftsmen we need a local source for drifters. I know the market is small but think of the potential considering the lack of manufacturers east of the Mississippi. We need a low profile boat with quality casting braces. I also think a wider bottom say 60" would also provide some stability. I also like the kevlar bottoms that they are putting on some of the newer boats (Pavati). A boat around here with that type bottom would last several generations. I know its more expensive and it would have to be an option. I even like the diamond plated sides that you are seeing. I know it is WAY over kill for here but you have got to go to Willie boats home page and look at the one they have for sale. IT is orange and it is SWEEEETTT! I bet you could sell the crap out of that color here in VOL Country. All it needs is a power T.

GET CRACKIN'

MadisonBoats
09-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Troutman,

Nice boat and has a lot of promise for a project.

Madison,

You need to get off your butt and make us a drift boat. For those of us who are not boat craftsmen we need a local source for drifters. I know the market is small but think of the potential considering the lack of manufacturers east of the Mississippi. We need a low profile boat with quality casting braces. I also think a wider bottom say 60" would also provide some stability. I also like the kevlar bottoms that they are putting on some of the newer boats (Pavati). A boat around here with that type bottom would last several generations. I know its more expensive and it would have to be an option. I even like the diamond plated sides that you are seeing. I know it is WAY over kill for here but you have got to go to Willie boats home page and look at the one they have for sale. IT is orange and it is SWEEEETTT! I bet you could sell the crap out of that color here in VOL Country. All it needs is a power T.

GET CRACKIN'

Thanks bud for pushing me along....There is more to it than just doing it... OSHA Permits for VOC Emissions, Patent Laws, Liability Laws, etc. I wish I could just crank one out; which would only take me about a week by myself to build. But, I need to protect myself and the people that use my boats. I want them to be made right; but, I want the brand to be supported right too... and be around for many years. All it takes is one lawsuit to undermine a small-start up company.

My design incorporates all the latest is composite material and I am very experienced in composite lay-ups (fiberglassing, RTM, Etc.).

I am going to try a build a few proto-types and get out to a few close friends for some hardcore testing. Once, I beat the model in and out; I want to give something to the public that I will put my name on and my integrity behind....

Keep you up to date bud...
SM

MadisonBoats
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Troutman,

* First I would address one thing at a time and take the boat off and put it on some wooden horses (upside-down). I would cover it with a tarp. This will help keep the inside completely dry when you are ready to paint it.

** Second, you need to completely over-haul your trailer (fairly inexpensive). This is an area many overlook and it could be disastrous if something goes wrong.

-check the coupler for wear/damage. Does the cam lever come down easy on the ball? You can get a new kit at Northern Tool for a few dollars.
-are the tires/rims in good shape? These will cost about $50-75 each at Northern if they are dry-rotted. It looks like yours are in decent shape from the pictures. I would lift the trailer up and set the axle on some wooden blocks (do this in your permanent work area). Take both the tires of and clean them thoroughly. I would use a grinder to take care of the rust spots; spend some time on this and you can get rid of all the rust. Use duct tape to protect the tires and you can use it for paint masking later. Once you have it cleaned up; I would take a small paint brush and dip it in primer - use it to fill the old rust divots by blotting with a brush. Once you have built up the divots. Lightly sand so that it is flush with the old paint and put on a few coats of primer. After that; apply a couple coats of paint. Try not to rush your coats; let them set and build up and good protective coat. I neat trick to do after this process is to brush the rim with a light coat of fiberglass resin; it is tricky to not have runs and to get the catalyst mix right as to not kick too fast. After that; you can do another light sand and paint again...It should last until the next ice-age:) with minimal rust...

-completely rebuild your hubs on each wheel (~$20 total). Take out your old bearings and knock out the old races in the bugs and replace. I would clean the heck out of the old hub with a cheap wire brush and spray it with some primer to thwart future rust. Bearings+races cost around $10 at Northern-check your axle diameter. I would get bearing budding grease caps so you can keep your bearings greased (~$10) and some plastic bearing caps. I usually grease my bearings about 2-3 times a year based on about 75-100 boat trips (20 miles round trip).

-replace your bunks with some light weight wood - pine, etc. Take a sander and sand the ends smooth and any rough areas. Then, take a smaller roller and apply about 2-3 coats of resin to your boards. Let this dry. Set up your boards and mark your bolt holes in your boards. Then drill holes about 1/4" larger than your bolts in your boards. Counter sink your holes on both sides of the board about 3/8" to thwart the fiberglass from cracking when you install. Then put some resin down these holes; do not seal them up; just coat the sides. Buy some heavy-weight outdoor carpet at Lowes; get some stainless steal staples, glue gun-glue sticks. Apply your carpet with the staple gun and use the glue-gun to clean up any flaps or to help you keep things aligned. Locate your holes and cut a plus+ figure to attach to your trailer braces. Use galvanized bolts and make sure they are not sticking up as to rub your boat hull. You can add some silicon caulk in to the hole to protect from rot if you want to be even more through. You may want to add some sliders (plastic) pieces to your bunks if you find it difficult to get your boat off the trailer where you are launching. You can buy different densities of plastic at hardware stores over in the cut glass section. You can melt/bend/cut it very easy and it is fairly cheap. Just be cognitive of the new slickness when launching/trailering the boat.

-I would replace all the trailer wiring with LED if it is suspect while you have everything apart(~$50) for kit. Also weld or mount a piece of angle iron to protect each taillight from backing in to something. You can get this for a few dollars at most hardware stores. Paint it up; drill some holes and mount. You want to protect those lights. I ended up adding some cheap running lights as signal lights on my high boards. I just wired them in to the signal wire. You can use them as break lights or signal; just not both unless you add some kind of voltage relay; then-it would be cheaper to buy a combination brake, taillight, signal light. Use heat shrink tube for all your connections and I use a hot glue gun to firm up my connections for extra protection. Also, for mounting my wiring in some spots.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=523

-Sand trailer very well; prime, paint, add pin-striping (~$2-3), add side reflectors (~$2)
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=524
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=525
*Check http://www.nhtsa.gov (http://www.nhtsa.gov/) for exact placement of lights/reflectors/etc.

Hope this helps...Boat stuff is more involved and I will send Part 1 a bit later...

gmreeves
09-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd make the trailer road worthy and the boat sea worthy and fish it as is. A boat with character adds to the experience and little to the cost.

Bfish
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Gary, if your going to take the time to strip the paint off, be prepared to acid etch and primer it too. Then you can take a break and paint it later.

Troutman
09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
thanks for the ideas. I've been looking at a lot of the mods on v-hulls over on tinBoats.net http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Shawn, if you have not found this forum yet, you should join.

Those guys definitely have some fabrication skills. I'm more of a rig it and fish it guy.
I have already started on the trailer. ordered new galv. wheels and tire combo from northern tool. bought wheel bearing kits, new trailer safety chains and a set of sub. LED trailer lights. I will be replacing the bunks and carpet , sanding, and painting the frame. The boat is fishable as is for now and I will probably start on it once the fall smallie bite is over. I'm not going to be as extensive as some of the mods on tinboats, but plan on removing one of the bench seats and putting in a flat floor. I'm not going to build up a casting deck so as to keep the center of grav. low. just want a flat open area for casting.
Shawn, I may be emailing you with some questions on the use of fiberglass resins.

MadisonBoats
09-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Gary, if your going to take the time to strip the paint off, be prepared to acid etch and primer it too. Then you can take a break and paint it later.

This is a great process and I would recommend it to anyone who is doing some kind of complete restoration. But, for a simple river boat project; I think it could be too caustic for most do it yourselves. Additionally, to be complete - I would acid dip it to treat the insides.

gmreeves,
It is all great until you end up broke down on the side of the road or down river:biggrin:....I have been there and done it too many times to neglect easy fixes. However; I am always surprised by something....

Troutman,
I am a fan of metal boats and I have seen some nice restorations. However; fabrication is not my strong-suit. My years of experience have dealt with fiberglass, rtm, etc....I do admire quality and beauty when I see it. I think a boat like yours is a good buy for a fly fisherman to get used to the river and to see what you like and do not like if you ever decide on upgrading to a driftboat. Also, they are very cheap, trustworthy, and durable. Be sure to pick up a super heavy gauge wiring if you plan on using a trolling motor and deep-cycle. I got some jumper cables on sale at Sears and cut the ends off....Add you a nice in line fuse 60amp and you are great. Just buss bar the rest with 12-18 gauge wiring and you have a solid electrical system. I run all LED lights on my boat too... They are pricey; but the ones I have were prototypes I worked on with Attwood for development and they work great...

Troutman
10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Well, I've been working on the boat/trailer over the past week or so. I finished up the trailer on Saturday. I cleaned out the hubs, replaced the bearings and grease and bought new wheels and tires. I also removed the old bunks, cleaned and repainted the trailer, installed new bunks and carpet and added new LED lights and wiring harness. put a new safety chain also. The trailer is in good shape for several years now.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00033-20101003-1804-1.jpg

I put the boat back on the trailer and cleaned the inside and outside did a water leak test and only found a couple of leaks on the hull. easily fixed with some 3M 5200. I removed all the wood seats and the entire middle back bench to open up the floor.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00029-20101003-1801.jpg

Next step is the paint the interior and add some non-slip grip to the floor. replace the seats with new wood. thinking about urethane to show the woodgrain on the benches.
The outside of the boat will be painted after that. thinking I may go with a grey bottom and dark green or navy blue sides above the waterline. gonna flip it onto saw horses and get the bottom fully prepped before I do that.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00031-20101003-1802.jpg

Looking for a 15-20 hp outboard, 1990s or newer if anyone has one for sale. Bought a MK 50lb thrust trolling motor to use for now.

MadisonBoats
10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Well, I've been working on the boat/trailer over the past week or so. I finished up the trailer on Saturday. I cleaned out the hubs, replaced the bearings and grease and bought new wheels and tires. I also removed the old bunks, cleaned and repainted the trailer, installed new bunks and carpet and added new LED lights and wiring harness. put a new safety chain also. The trailer is in good shape for several years now.

I put the boat back on the trailer and cleaned the inside and outside did a water leak test and only found a couple of leaks on the hull. easily fixed with some 3M 5200. I removed all the wood seats and the entire middle back bench to open up the floor.

Next step is the paint the interior and add some non-slip grip to the floor. replace the seats with new wood. thinking about urethane to show the woodgrain on the benches.
The outside of the boat will be painted after that. thinking I may go with a grey bottom and dark green or navy blue sides above the waterline. gonna flip it onto saw horses and get the bottom fully prepped before I do that.

Looking for a 15-20 hp outboard, 1990s or newer if anyone has one for sale. Bought a MK 50lb thrust trolling motor to use for now.

Looking good! Great Progress! The boat looks very sound already...

Knik
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
x2........ great job

Thought of a few pics. I took in Alaska of some shelves the guide had welded onto his boat. This might not be an idea for a v-bottom, but it might get the wheels turning in your head for something that would work for you. They sure were handy for keeping the rods out of the floor and laying things such as pliers, drinks, and lures on while fishing. Just a thought.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/085800x600.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/084800x600.jpg

Troutman
10-21-2010, 11:16 AM
stll working on the boat when I have free time. I guess I should be thankful for a full time job to pay the bills, but it sure puts a dent in the fishing and boat mods time! I worked on it last sunday afternoon cleaning and prepping the bottom for paint. Painted the sides on monday evening and the bottom on Tuesday. getting ready to seal the bottom with Gluvit and then prime and paint the floor. I'm trying to get all the painting finished before cold weather sets in. The red makes it look fast doesn't it :biggrin:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00050-20101021-0829.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00051-20101021-0829.jpg

gmreeves
10-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Looking sharp!

buckeyetrouter
10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
hey Gary.....really like that Scarlet & Gray paint job, now just a little Brutus Buckeye on the side and it should be all set......ohhhh darn, shouldn't have said that on this site.......nice looking project anyways:biggrin:

Buckeyetrouter
(Bob)

Troutman
10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey Bob, its actually New Holland red and Massey Ferguson grey tractor implement paint. I bought it from Jen. She said you were getting ready for another mission trip soon. :smile:

MadisonBoats
10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Troutman,
The paint job looks fabulous. An idea I used; you could add a small contrast line between the red/grey-black or something dark would look great. I would actually spray a clear coat over that paint job to help it retain its luster:smile:.

I like dark colors on the inside walls of the boat and a light color for the floors. I usually go flat or a matte finish on the floor to limit refraction when it gets wet. Here is an early picture of my boat with a contrast line in silver. I just taped it with masking tape and sprayed painted the line.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=199

Excellent Job and Great Looking Boat!

Keeping us updated!

buckeyetrouter
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
well it looks great anyways Gary......you have done a great job with the work you have done to the boat. I will be leaving for Haiti on November 8th to build homes approx 1.5hrs north of Port Au Prince then we return to Africa for the whole month of June in 2011 to continue our ministry on the islands of Lake Victoria. I am looking for a microscope to take with us for the high school we built last year. If you know of anyone who has one laying around keep us in mind (cannot be powered, no electricity on the islands).

Looks like you are having fun with your project, sometimes that is 1/2 the fun. I am planning on building a project fly rod for our Uganda Missions Pastor. He fishes for Nile Perch so I am trying to find out the size of perch he has access to so I know what size of rod to build...this also will be a fun project for me....

I built a fly rod for Jennifer and now she fishes the park way more than her father......hoping to get down Seymour way soon to visit her and spend some time in the park....

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

buckeyetrouter
10-22-2010, 03:50 PM
hey Gary...just a side note: if you have seen River Monsters when the guy catches a 150lb Nile Perch at the foot of Murchison Falls on the White Nile, we have actually been to that very spot.....and yes, there are crocs :eek:in the water that he was wading in....as for me:biggrin:, I stayed on dry land......

Troutman
11-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Finally finished up the boat and now all it needs is an outboard motor. I've looked at a few used 10hp, but may end up saving for awhile and buying a new one.
I have been working on the boat on weekends and after I painted the interior last week, I cut and fitted the new wood for the bench seating. Went with 3/4" oak plywood that I stained and then 3 coats of spar urethane to seal the wood but still show the wood grain through. I added cup holders and a work bench/ fish measure table to the sides where the old rear middle bench was. Removing that bench opened up the floor space for me to stand and cast.
I painted the interior with Parkers "Bay Grey" duck boat paint after I self- etched primed the sides and floor. The floor paint got an additional material called "sharkskin". It is a non-slip additive pumice material that makes the floor easy to stand on when wet. The Parkers paint is semi flat and is non reflective. I will probably add some rod tubes to store rigged fly rods down the sides like drift boats have.
Here is a couple shots of the interior now.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00081-20101128-1705.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00084-20101128-1707.jpg

I also installed a bow mount anchor roller with a jam cleat for my drag chain or if in the lake , a small mushroom anchor.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/bowanchormount.jpg

The boat is ready other than putting my numbers on and reg. sticker. hopefully come spring, it will have a motor, but till then, the 50lb thrust transom trolling motor will suffice.
1967 14ft Starcraft Super Star. less than $700 in the whole rig so far, including the 2 new seats I found at Kmart for $4.99 each on closeout! They just happened to color match the boat.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/IMG00079-20101128-1702.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/67starcraft.jpg

gmreeves
11-29-2010, 10:32 AM
That thing is sweet! Great work.

MadisonBoats
11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Finally finished up the boat and now all it needs is an outboard motor. I've looked at a few used 10hp, but may end up saving for awhile and buying a new one.

Wow! You have done a fabulous job! I love your boat and the heart and soul you put in to it! This is the quality of a restoration job for competition.

If you do not mind; I will try and add a few suggestions that I have learned the hard way. You may want to make the middle table a drop or collapsible table. If you get in and out of your boat to wade; this could get in the way and if you are fishing in the boat; your line will love to wrap around it. I had those oar locks that you have and ended up removing them too. Seems like fly line loves to wrap on anything exposed.

You might want to add some flotation depending how your boat sets and moves in the water...? Take it out a few times and fish it how you plan on using it. If it sets deep in the back and is stable; you can flip the boat upside down and spray in a few cans of extra expanding foam. Also, you can always put some old orange life jackets under the seats. Cut some metal coat hangers a little longer than the width of the seat-base and they will hold the jackets up off the floor.

I would look for a 60-80# thrust trolling motor and skip the boat motor. It would be pricey; around - $600-700. However, no gas tank-silent running, easy start and correction, extra accessibility. You can run upstream on one generator with that type of thrust. I run a 40# thrust and I avg about 8-10mph on gps in slack water. However, I can just inch up during one generation.

Make a nice dry place for a boat tool box. Always a must for the river.:biggrin:

Again, fabulous boat and great idea on the floor texture.

*Oh rod tubes are a must in my mind. I always put my rods in them. The do leave a residue on your eyelets at times, but, I have never broke a rod. 1 1/2 seems to work well for me. Too small and the last eyelet cannot fit. I drilled a hole about 4" up from the opening and added a small bungee sling to hold the reel in place while in transport. There have been three rods broken in my boat on floats and all of them have been left out in the open. You could get creative and saw the tubes at about 1/3 width and mount them flush too...

Troutman
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Its been a fun job working on this. The shelf and cupholders are definetely line grabbers so I plan on making a stripping barrel to sit on the floor. probably a tall collapsable leaf basket that I can sew a pocket into the bottom and add a sand bag for weight. The floor of the boat is slightly curved, it should sit stable enough. if that doesn't work, I'll use a trash can! If you've ever seen the documentary "BASS, the movie", the fly guy uses a stripping barrel to control the fly line in the bass boats.

Both of the bench seats have the original solid foam floatation underneath the wood. I may build a shelf table about 4" high and put it in the stern behind the rear bench to sit the gas tank when I get a motor. I could add extra foam inside of it, if I find that the weight of the motor and gas tank cause the stern to ride low. I'm also thinking about mounting the battery underneath the front bench in the bow and running wiring thru the gunnel channel from the bow to the stern. I pulled the nose cone off to check for clearance and someone had done this in the past for bow lights , just need to replace with a high gauge wires for the trolling motor. may buy a cheap pair of battery jumpers and use the wire for this.

Bran
12-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Gary, just saw this, that thing is sweet!!!!! Super job on that boat! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come, now you have to get some fish slime on it!!