PDA

View Full Version : 9/25.....9/26 pic. heavy

Knik
09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Thought I would share some pics. with you guys of this wknd.

Started out early Sat. morning and made it to Tellico before daylight. Haven't been down there in 15 years and was wanting to do some scouting around for some new "fly" water. Found the water to be low as expected and didn't try some of the smaller waters for that reason, but did manage to catch a few fish on the way up river.

Nice little stocker....
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/001800x600.jpg

Don't ask me...:redface:....but it was split in the middle. Any thoughts?
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/004800x600.jpg

Headed on over the ridge to Holly Flats to check it out, never been there before. Managed to catch one little bow out of the Bald, but the other feeders were just a trickle. For you hikers, I noticed some trail work had been done and alot of rhodo cut back.

Holly Flats bow
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/005800x600-1.jpg

After I left the flats, I headed back over the ridge to find some better water. By now more fisherman had shown up, but I only saw 3 other fly fisherman. Found my own little stretch of water and did quite well, was kinda shocked with the water being so low.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/009800x600.jpg

Spooked a ton of fish (newbie) :rolleyes:, but learned a lot in the process.

Here was the typical.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/006800x600-2.jpg

All in all a good trip. But, I have never seen so much trash and fishing line hanging from trees in all my life!!!:mad: Worm tubs, pop cans, and plastic bags were at every hole I fished. I guess their actions speaks volumes about their character.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning I headed up to the "Grinch" to see if I could have any luck, darn place has spanked me all summer. lol Started off kinda slow but did pick up right before the rain and fished good through the rain. At one point I caught 7 in 8 cast, boy I'm on them now...... wrong! Things slowed down from there, still a good day on the water though.

A few.........
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/011800x600-2.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/015800x600.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/TNtrapper_2006/016800x600.jpg

Also got to watch a family of 4 otters on the bank and saw a BIG rock fish swim by, 35 - 40lbs. I would guess. Was a good weekend and hope you guys enjoyed yours as much as I did mine.

Shannon

ifish4wildtrout
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Looks like a fun day.

With body piercings being the fad these days, I'd say the split lip was from a lip ring that maybe got yanked out during a fight. :confused:

Or someone with one heck of a hookset. :biggrin:

pineman19
09-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Great report Shannon. The Tellico is a beautiful river. It's too bad that some people trash it, gives baitfishermen a bad name. I started out years ago using bait for trout and we didn't leave our trash by the stream or lake.

Looks like you did well on the Grinch, it has humbled me more than I have humbled it.

Neal

Owl
09-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Great pics! thanks for sharing them!

MadisonBoats
09-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Thought I would share some pics. with you guys of this wknd.

Started out early Sat. morning and made it to Tellico before daylight.

Shannon

Nice Pics Shannon and thank you for sharing them. Also, I appreciate you taking the time to add some dialog to your trip so that I can live it through you...:biggrin:

We all need to work on picking up trash and cleaning up our local rivers and streams. If you can remember; take a mesh bag or Walmart bag in your pack to pick any litter you find...I know I would appreciate it and I know the next generation of fly flingers will too...

Knik
09-27-2010, 09:56 PM
ifish..... I'm with ya on the hook set theory, poor little fellar.

pineman..... My Grandfather started me out with corn and rooster tails in the Pittman Center/Greenbriar area, back then the bridge below the campground wasn't covered. That man would have tanned my rear had I left trash behind, he loved that river.
And yes, I know what you mean by being humbled on the Clinch, think I caught 6 fish in the first 8 trips. Kinda getting a better feel for it as far as indicator fishing goes, now if I can just figure the rest out.:biggrin:

Shawn....... Been using your HL indicators on the Clinch and it has worked like a charm. Decided to try it in Tellico sat. after no hits on the dry. Figured the spin fishers had thrown all kinds of shiny things at them and that I needed to tone it down. Used your method for indicators with 2 non-BH nymphs below, worked great! Thanks for the tip!!!

P.S.- Had a large stocker suck in the indicator though....lol Guess it tasted bad, he wouldn't look at anything after that.:rolleyes:

Crockett
09-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Hey Knik great post thanks for doing this! I haven't fished the tellico ever but have fished the North, Bald, and some of the tribs. I love that area. Pretty good places to eat down there in Tellico plains are Nut-n-fancy and the telliqua? beach drive in (lol). I bet those streams look really different this morning. The mountains got a lot of rain last night I noticed the little river went up to 1000cfs about 10pm last night!

kentuckytroutbum
09-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Knik-

That 'bow hanging in the tree must have been the result of one heck of a hook set. Snatched him right out of the water and draped him over the tree limb. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the photos and the commentary on your trip!

Bill

MadisonBoats
09-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Shawn....... Been using your HL indicators on the Clinch and it has worked like a charm. Decided to try it in Tellico sat. after no hits on the dry. Figured the spin fishers had thrown all kinds of shiny things at them and that I needed to tone it down. Used your method for indicators with 2 non-BH nymphs below, worked great! Thanks for the tip!!!

P.S.- Had a large stocker suck in the indicator though....lol Guess it tasted bad, he wouldn't look at anything after that.:rolleyes:

Sweet, I use the dark shade of green most of the time. The key is only pinching enough material to allow your rig to drift correctly. I usually add in some of the lighter green when it is super foggy...Glad it works for you; it is the best indicator I have ever used.

buckeyetrouter
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
oh boy.....here it goes, gonna sound kinda dumb.......but what do you mean by a rock fish ?

NDuncan
09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree... It looks like someone thought they were setting the hook for a largemouth bass, not a trout. Since growing up in texas, I had only fished for warm water for things like largemouth, bream, and catfish, I still sometimes have to suppress the urge to set the hook with a fury. Once, when I made a similar mistake, I sent a poor 5" rainbow airborne over my head. He had luckily landed in a small pool of water that had been cut off from the stream because the water level was low. Because he had thrown the hook in the process, i had catch him by hand to return to back to stream. After a few minutes of reviving him in the stream flow, he swam off, physically no more worse for the wear, but probably didn't eat anything from the surface again for a while! :eek:

MarkHansen
10-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Striped Bass

JohnH0802
10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Sweet, I use the dark shade of green most of the time. The key is only pinching enough material to allow your rig to drift correctly. I usually add in some of the lighter green when it is super foggy...Glad it works for you; it is the best indicator I have ever used.

Shawn,
Can you tell me more about your HL indicator....haven't been up to the mountains to fish in a while and the itch is starting to get pretty bad.

Thanks,

John

Knik
10-05-2010, 02:55 PM
John, look at Shawn's thread titled "Best Indicator". Should give you all the info. Beware though, darn trout hit my indicator more than my nymphs.... lmao

JohnH0802
10-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Knik,
Thanks for the information.

John